• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-0 Chelsea: Verdict Thread

Another attacking body rather than 3 defensive midfielders holding hands across the halfway line.
We didn't really do that at all today, though? Especially in the first half, Moutinho was getting forward a ton. Second half they stopped being so adventurous but that was largely due to Saul plugging holes so effectively for Chelsea rather than us suddenly not caring about trying to get the ball forward.

Another great game for Marcal I thought, he was all over them in the first half then Tuchel managed to get him (plus the wider wolves team) pinned back.

Another game that highlights our lack of quality subs. I think Bruno is aware of this also as his reluctance to do subs - for me - is tied to the lack of them. We needed to have a CM and a ST available to meaningfully change the game I reckon.

If defending is "anti-football" I guess I don't know why you're interested in the sport at all as you don't seem to care for literally half of it.

But like I say, I won't be able to convince you to feel otherwise.

This isn't an NFL game where you play offence and defence though. I can respect and appreciate we defend well, but we don't even attempt to play when we have it.

To liken it to NFL it's like playing defence holding them to punt, fair catching it then punting it back.

I think the team are just keenly aware of their limitations and don't want to get caught short v. a very gifted opponent. We created plenty against Brighton second half but just couldn't put them away

This isn't an NFL game where you play offence and defence though. I can respect and appreciate we defend well, but we don't even attempt to play when we have it.

To liken it to NFL it's like playing defence holding them to punt, fair catching it then punting it back.
Bit in bold is still impossible for me to wrap my head around. We definitely attempted to play, Chelsea were just better in the second half.

Thought we played OK today, probably deserved to win - donck missing that header 🙈 plus the handball that stopped Podence being through on goal.

Neither fullback was particularly good today, Hoever was all over the place defensively and offensively. Marçal was at least solid defensively, but had the opportunity to play a few balls into the box that he kissed/over hit.

Restricting Chelsea to 1 shot on target, in the dying minutes is pretty impressive. But not as impressive as to how good Jose Sa is compared to Patricio!

Chelsea's change at HT nullified where we were finding good areas to play in, but I still think we merited the point. Towards the end, it was like the last-ditch stuff against Liverpool, but a massively diluted version. We can defend very well and we showed it again.

If we're to keep this formation, it's obviously Dendoncker that needs replacing (with Semedo and RAN coming back in). Dendoncker is better at winning the ball than keeping it, and we've moved on from that kind of player. A better CM in this formation and we'd get better results at the other end of the pitch. Raul was poor, but fed on scraps.

Podence and Coady standout players for me.

I'm still trying to work out Hoever over Semedo. Anyone know why?

Thought we were good first half, they changed things and their quality players did what you'd expect.
Donk gets into some great attacking positions but his finishing for the last season and half isn't good enough. Raul shouldn't be offside for the disallowed goal but tbf he rarely steays odd side.
Couldn't tell on my tiny screen if it was a handball or bounced off his chest first...ref needs to look at that.
People seem to be getting a bit ott with Raul, as said should be better with his offside but worked his bollocks off again and second half it was the epitome of living off scraps. He's a class player and we're lucky to have him, that doesn't mean he can't be criticised of course but a bit of realism required.

Smart move to give him a bit of confidence after his last home appearance. Ki did well and was as competent as Semedo.

Smart move to give him a bit of confidence after his last home appearance. Ki did well and was as competent as Semedo.

Well is a bit far, his delivery makes marcal look like a prime David Beckham.

I'm with you on that, but think we're in a minority. I think if we'd have kept playing that way we'd have honed it, scored chances and a have a lot more to look forward to tbh.

Can see what you mean, but it’s a result business. Ultimately playing 3 games we came away with 0 points, if we played that way and ended up with say 6 points from 10 games it wouldn’t be very enjoyable.

Once Bruno is (or if) backed then I’m
Sure there will be a happy medium. So to speak.

Only seen the highlights, shame about the goal but Raul does interfere and shouldn’t really be offside there. Donk should do better with the header.

Also another decent save by Sa.

Probably just rotation to keep Semedo fresh having played both games during the past week. And gives Hoever some minutes as he’ll be needed next couple of weeks (if there are games)

People seem to be getting a bit ott with Raul, as said should be better with his offside but worked his bollocks off again and second half it was the epitome of living off scraps. He's a class player and we're lucky to have him, that doesn't mean he can't be criticised of course but a bit of realism required.
I know what you're getting at here but Raul now has as many yellow cards as he has goals in 17 appearances.

That's not good enough from a player of his caliber, simple as.

You all know my view of premier league football as it’s rigged to favour the big six, that’s why it was brought in. Liverpool City and Chelsea are the stand out teams this season and we have given very good defensive displays against all of them. The 0 0 with Norwich and Burnley were worse than today. We are the only team bar city to stop them scoring this season depleted or not. You take the point and move on to Watford

Kilman looking more and more confident too the last couple of games. He keeps on these forward drives he's going to do a Maradona one day.

Back