• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0-1 Arsenal: Verdict Thread

Chiquinho definitely has something. Some loose touches/passes at times where he looks a bit mad because of how hard he works too but made fairly decent decisions when he settled down.
He looks raw as anthing but he’s got fundamentals which you can definitely work with.

Also, the answer was Adama Traore against Crystal Palace.

I agree but his problem is that he rarely is an issue.

I get what you’re saying. But sometimes having a player like that isn’t a bad thing, he does the ugly stuff, covers ground etc and allows others to play/create. Just a shame we don’t do enough of the latter, so more focus will come on the former not contributing where we are struggling

I honestly don’t know what we do in training. What is our route to goal? How are we looking to score?

I really haven’t got a clue. We were neat and tidy but zero threat. Arsenal not much better but they scored from a scrappy set piece and had a few moments at least.

Podence and Trincao no goals. No goals from the WBs in over half a season.

Could also say another game lost in the transfer market.

Some interesting stuff coming from Lage since the game finished.

- Hwang couldn’t come on tonight because he suffered a back spasm before the game. I really hope he’s not another one made of biscuits.

- doesn’t know how long Moutinho is out for.

- thought it was a foul on Sa for their goal and thought their own goal should have stood

- wants an aerial/physical striker (which is presumably why we went after Moore). We put 35 crosses in to the box from open play tonight but could still be playing now without scoring

Neves also came out after the game and said Arsenal celebrated like they’d won the league, which shows us the level we’re now at.

One thing comms said here that rang true was that we are either taking potshots with no chance or trying to walk the ball in the net with nothing in between.

Trying to score the "perfect goal", as it were.

For what it’s worth, we win that tonight if Moutinho plays.

What tonight does again highlight, is that outside the top three, everyone is much of a muchness. We weren’t great, neither were Arsenal…..a club that wanted to piss off and form a league with their mates not long ago, yet felt the need to time waste the moment they got their noses in front tonight. It’s weird how fragmented the sky six have become.

They can be got at these teams, feels like we’ve let a couple of really big opportunities slip by this past week.

I get what you’re saying. But sometimes having a player like that isn’t a bad thing, he does the ugly stuff, covers ground etc and allows others to play/create. Just a shame we don’t do enough of the latter, so more focus will come on the former not contributing where we are struggling
I agree but my 28 year old son hates him. It is all about opinion.

I think we would all agree that Raul was disappointing tonight. My hope is that with a break in the summer he might become somewhere near the player he was. It is a wonder he is playing at all.

For what it’s worth, we win that tonight if Moutinho plays.

What tonight does again highlight, is that outside the top three, everyone is much of a muchness. We weren’t great, neither were Arsenal…..a club that wanted to piss off and form a league with their mates not long ago, yet felt the need to time waste the moment they got their noses in front tonight. It’s weird how fragmented the sky six have become.

They can be got at these teams, feels like we’ve let a couple of really big opportunities slip by this past week.
Why do we win that if Moutinho plays, out of curiosity? Although I agree with the latter part of your post, to say we win if Moutinho plays is just silly

Chiquinho definitely has something. Some loose touches/passes at times where he looks a bit mad because of how hard he works too but made fairly decent decisions when he settled down.
He showed more desire and put more "umph" in his first challenge (barging an Arsenal player) than Trincao had all game.

Why do we win that if Moutinho plays, out of curiosity? Although I agree with the latter part of your post, to say we win if Moutinho plays is just silly
He was crap on Saturday but he has had a very good season so far overall.

Some interesting stuff coming from Lage since the game finished.

- thought it was a foul on Sa for their goal and thought their own goal should have stood
Not just me then, i'll have a look at the laws tomorrow... 🤓

He was crap on Saturday but he has had a very good season so far overall.
Not disputing he’s had a good season. Clearly he’s been class. But saying he plays and we win the game is just daft. He could’ve stunk the place out for all we know

Just got home going to bed, not read the thread apart from the initial Adama revisionism, but want to get this off my chest.

Our forwards aren't fit for purpose and unfortunately I mean all 3
1 is very busy, so there's a positive, but his falling over, arm waving and fancy flicks ultimately lead to zero end product

Number 2 is so easily knocked off the ball, doesn't track back and can't cross. I don't think he'll ever make a PL player no matter how much you talk about his lovely touch, it's just not in him

Number 3 used to be a hero, he's not that player anymore. The touch is still there, the decision making isn't and he doesn't attack the ball...ever. Every sympathy for what he's been through and in odd games there is a glimpse of the player he was, but it's too infrequent.

We are a team that doesn't score goals, it's very easy to see why and with these 3 it's not going to change. We will continue to be reliant on the odd set piece and bit of quality from nowhere to get points

We're about where we should be. Against the better teams we need most things to go for us, we slipped up and conceded a poor goal and just don't have enough at this moment to come back from that, most times.

Disappointing given how it played out, something of a reality check I guess. But the same things apply now that applied at the start of the season - the squad needs surgery, we are not playing how Bruno originally intended as he has had to cut his cloth accordingly (and done a pretty good job of it), and a top 10 finish is probably as good as we'll end up with - maybe an outside chance of Conference League.

Not to overegg it, as it has already been so many times, but summer is critical to the direction of the club for the forseeable future. It always is, but this really feels like a crossroads, sliding doors type moment.

Back