• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 0 - 2 Liverpool: The Verdict.

Had a bar full of Scousers, most were really complimentary, 1 was a bit of a weapon blaming Liverpool not getting out of 1st gear.
Yes they were the better team yes they will be in the top 2 i think they are better than City.

Having said all that we lost that, they did not win it.
Twice we switched of in defence, you cannot do that against one of the best attacking line up's in world football.

Neves, and Boly did not track the run.
WTF was Saiss doing with the clearance.

Really pleased with how we played, Dissapointed in Neves use of the ball.

More of vinagre for me please.
As soon has he came on he was just so much more positive than Johnny.
2 great balls into the box and he's got a great engine up and down the line, none of this playing the ball back time and again and killing any impetus we had.
Also, what the fuck is up with our throw ins lately?
What should be a quick throw in turns into 30 seconds of static with the thrower given no options, they are becoming worse than our awful corners.

I thought it was a real eye opener of where we are as a team. Bright and open with a willingness to take it to the better sides but lacking key qualities in pressure moments. Defensively at times we lacked focus, concentration and communication offensively we lack the combination play to both retain the ball and play through opponents of high quality.

More of vinagre for me please.
As soon has he came on he was just so much more positive than Johnny.
2 great balls into the box and he's got a great engine up and down the line, none of this playing the ball back time and again and killing any impetus we had.
Also, what the fuck is up with our throw ins lately?
What should be a quick throw in turns into 30 seconds of static with the thrower given no options, they are becoming worse than our awful corners.

Vinagre over Jonny? Jesus.

No mention of Doherty? Are you sure. Or is this another example of regular posters only bothering to read and reply to comments from their mates I wonder....

Maybe it was an example of me being pissed while reading the thread and either not noticing or forgetting. But if this is the type of post I’m missing from one of my non-mates then it’s probably for the best anyway.

Vinagre is better offensively imo but Jonny is just a class act, not sure if he is a wing back but guess we'd have to see him more on the right to be sure

I said when he returned from injury that I'd go horses for courses between Jonny and Vinagre depending on what the opposition bring. I still maintain the former is a bloody good full back and against the better sides the right pick, still not convinced as a left wing back though.

Special word for Henderson. 5 minutes from time he gets brought down on the half way line by Saiss, the ref plays advantage and Liverpool eventually get a corner. He spends the next minute having a right go at the ref to go back to Saiss and book him. Now it probably was a yellow card challenge as it was late, but it wasn't dangerous, he hadn't already been booked, you are two up and controlling the game so shut up you whinging, Makem twat.

Cold light of day and with a slightly sore head, but I don't think my view has changed too much. We played very well, but they are just an awesome machine of an outfit.

Saying that, we gave them a pretty damn good game, and it made for excellent viewing. They have some absolutely supreme players on their books, whereas we have very very good ones.

At least we can say with a large dose of confidence that this match is going to be on next season's fixture list, and with two more transfer windows (minimum) before it arrives again, hopefully we can improve further and get closer to them.

Agree with most. Some of the lads in the pub I was with were looking at me like I was mental for being slightly disappointed with the outcome - we are way, way on track and on plan. Chalk it up to a learning experience and look forward to next year when we should (hopefully!) be better still.

Only thing I'll mention is defending set pieces is becoming a bit of a concern. Liverpool left Salah on the edge of the box all night and there wasn't anyone remotely near him. We're not out quick enough to stop the 2nd ball (see also Perez vs Newcastle) and when it comes in we seem discombobulated. Don't think it would harm us all that much to leave 1 or 2 on the edge of the area, tbh.

I thought that about everyone being too deep - means that whenever we clear it, it comes straight back at us

Thought the Liverpool fans were really good yesterday, made for a great atmosphere. South Bank carrying on singing 'nuno Santo's barmy army' all the way through the second goal being conceded the was awesome.

Thought we played very well. We already obviously knew Liverpool were good but seeing them in the flesh was really eye opening. They were composed playing out from the back (Allison playing passes with the outside of his foot round our players ffs!), patient in possession and so quick to try and win the ball back when they lost it.

They were actually quite sloppy with the ball at times in the first half and combined with some good work by the likes of Neves, Saiss and Moutinho meant we could create some decent openings/chances. Saiss, Traore, Doc, Jonny and Raul could all maybe have done better or worked Alisson harder. And even in the second half we had some opportunities to score (saiss, MGW).

It's hard to be critical of anyone really. Neves' passing was sloppy particularly in the second half, he is almost trying too hard. His defensive work is fantastic, which is why it was a shame to let Fabinho run off him for their first goal having done well in the first place even then. Boly must have had a bet on Salah to score or something, he struggled a couple of times with his pace (opting to try and intercept the pass through) whereas a couple of times he just gave him the ball! He was otherwise imperious mind you.

Saiss has shown we can rely on him at this level, we have great depth in that area. And Doherty was indeed fantastic first half, as Dan pointed out he played some fantastic switches of play too which I had never really seen from him.

Vinagre is better offensively imo but Jonny is just a class act, not sure if he is a wing back but guess we'd have to see him more on the right to be sure

Vinagre is still very young, but at the moment I don’t think he’s better offensively. Jonny has been involved in a lot of our chances this season.

Vinagre is still very young, but at the moment I don’t think he’s better offensively. Jonny has been involved in a lot of our chances this season.

Agree. He's such an intelligent footballer.

Thought it was great for Vinagre to get 10-15 minutes against top opposition mind, he will really benefit from that.

Liverpool are a class side,the movement, first touches, passing , think they will win the title , we played ok and at times (last 10 of the first half) we gave them a good game, but our shooting is letting us down. How many shots were straight at their goalkeeper ! Saiss had a great chance, right in front of goal on his strong foot ,straight to the keeper !! There were a few like that . We need a clinical striker with a instinct to match .
Neves had another below par game ,his passing is off and he is ballooning shots , he needs a rest like Jota did and hopefully his form will return .
No disgrace losing to Liverpool

Superb experience last night I thought.

As has been said, Liverpool were simply a class above. Their organisation and structure as a team is quality. The way they move for each other, create space, and collectively control the ball is exceptional. They were truly impressive. Bodes well for a great title chase between them and city, and their match in january will be intense. We were in that game all the way up to their second.

So much happened in that game. I've still yet to see our supposed penalty shout myself, as it was down the other end.
We missed Jota, I suspect had he been playing, we'd have had a chance of scoring. That said, difficult to give anyone below a 7 for their performance. I agree that Moutinho didn't work in the 10 role - he's a stamina player, not a pace player. I also agree that Neves tackling etc has come on leaps and bounds, but his passing is less instinctive than last season. Previously, he knew what he was going to o before he received the ball. He's either over thinking things now, or questioning himself.

Doherty has made those long crossfield passes before. I think it's something we're developing, as in the champ we used coady & neves for that. This season teams will close off these 2, so we need to develop these passes with the rest of the squad.

Patricios kicking is an issue for me. 3 in the 2nd half went straight out of play, and Liverpool knew from the first kick where it would be aimed. And we didn't change it. For an experienced keeper, he must know it is a weakness, so I can't understand why he doesn't look for a quicker throw more often. Ruddys distribution last season was very good, and helped us a lot. I don't know what the answer is, but it needs to be addressed.

Atmosphere was superb too. I think fosun are ramping up our pre-match, and they chose to do so in front of the sky cameras. I thought the pre-match was interesting. I quite bought into it, and think it did get more of the crowd going at the start. Even so, on entering the ground the SB was bouncing. This morning I've had to put a lot of beer soaked clothing into the wash, and explain to the good lady I have not become a raging alkie!

Had a superb pre match in the pub too, and then a very pleasant post match dissection of the game, before being advised it was almost midnight!

btw on their second goal, that ball from salah is fucking exceptional. phenomenally difficult to defend against.

btw on their second goal, that ball from salah is fucking exceptional. phenomenally difficult to defend against.

Bennett had it covered comfortably, he stopped because he thought there was no-one behind him and it could run through to Patricio, if he had tried to clear it then he would've done so easily.

Back