• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 0 Blackpool - The verdict

O'Hara was the best player in the first half as we let him have the ball and didn't put enough pressure on him. He cannot run, but played decent 10/15 yd passes. When we took control of the game he was nowhere to be seen and showed why he shouldn't be here.

A lovely tribute to Sr Jack, very emotional without being over the top. The club, the fans and Blackpool fans got it just right.
First half we were poor, Edwards should have buried that chance, seemed to me like he was expecting Dicko to be available and to put it on a plate for him but Dicko had stopped assuming Dave was just going to hit the back of the net.....c'mon Dave just put it away. It seems to me that a lot of the Wolves forward play we lack confidence and ambition, we need to be braver. Personally I am seeing a different MacDonald to everyone else, I thought he was very poor, his passing was the worst I've seen it and he constantly turned into trouble.
Thought we improved when Afobe came on.
Not sure why Hause was subbed for Doherty, injured? or does Kenny think he's better going forward?
Blackpool were very ordinary, O'Hara was wuite neat and tidy without doung much positive.
Still 3 points and we now have an alternative to Dicko, who struggled to get into the game today

I must also make an extra mention to the Blackpool captain for coming out with a tribute and putting it behind the goal at the South Bank. Really, Blackpool were magnificent in helping us to get the tribute to Sir Jack right, and I will always be thankful for that.

Not a great performance but the result merited the difference between the sides. A fitting tribute to a great man. Thoroughly enjoyable day in the whole and a fantastic debut for Afobe.

Plusses were the performances of Stears, Iorfa (MOTM), Price and McD. We missed Sako as poor old Henry couldn't out a foot right today. I was glad Edwards scored as he couldn't do anything right up until that but got in all the right positions to do it! We look so solid at the back and it is great to see a back 4 that is 6ft+ and takes no shit.

FWIW Perkins (blonde haired lad) was the best Blackpool player for me and I smiled and enjoyed most of the chants at O'Hara, that probably makes me shallow but on this occasion I don't care. Yes Blackpool were poor but I enjoyed what was a relatively poor game.

A fitting tribute to Sir Jack and the crowd were amazing today. I was a proud Wolves fan today.

Blackpool looked like they came here with the sole purpose of not to concede, bar a 15 minute spell in the 1st half they pretty much sat back, time wasted and hoped for a 0-0. Blackpool left 1 up top whilst the rest got back to cram the space for us to try and open them up which meant they could double up on some of our attackers and stop us getting through.

Jackett's decision to take Henry off and bring Afobe on is what changed the game, we started getting through them a lot more and was able to get more crosses in, until Afobe came on they had 3 marking Dicko out the game, they opened up more with Afobe being closer to Dicko and reducing the number of defenders solely marking Dicko.

Ikeme - Didn't have a great deal to do, flapped at a couple freekicks delivered into the box in 1st half but other than that had an easy afternoon.
Iorfa - Very impressive, for a centre-back playing fullback he is almost as good as our wingers with the ball at his feet which you combine with his height, strength and pace, he's got a big future ahead of him, I think his pace helps Batth a tremendous amount as he can cover the spaces Doherty couldn't which makes us a better unit.
Batth - Had a good game, cleared what needed clearing, headed what needed heading, passing was a bit poor but I can't hold it against him it isn't something he looks comfortable with.
Stearman - Lost out on a few heading duals against Davies but wasn't troubled with anything else.
Hause - Unlike Iorfa who I think could pass as a fullback to someone who didn't know him, Hause very much looks like a centre-back playing fullback, he was good defensively but struggled to offer anything in an attacking sense.
McDonald - Recycled possession well, switched the play to other side well ect like he always does but lacked that drive today to push us forward to attack until last 20 mins.
Price - Exactly like McDonald, I don't expect price however to drive us forward but he picked out some good passes today, with a good pass through for VLP to cross for Edwards goal.
VLP - Looked frustrated he couldn't get the better of his fullback for large parts of the game, everything he tried just didn't work out for him but at the same time everything was through him today as Henry offered nothing on the other wing, credit VLP for not letting his head drop and last 20 mins he got more freedom to run and cross as they stopped marking him as closely.
Henry - Might as well not have been on the pitch today, was very poor and quiet afternoon for him.
Edwards - My MOTM, not for scoring but the fact he was everywhere today, he was fully up for it today getting stuck in, trying to force us forward to attack, messed up when he got through and either tried to shoot or pass across to Dicko and resulted in neither but that was his only fault today, had a quiet 20 mins after Afobe came on when he was moved onto right wing but started coming inside behind dicko and afobe and got back into the game.
Dicko - Was getting frustrated at a lack of delivery and having to try and lose 3 markers all game, started to get free in the box more with Afobe on the pitch and was unlucky not to get on the end of 1/2 low crosses from VLP.

Subs
Afobe - Played well, looks direct, fast, motivated and very composed with the ball at his feet whilst was desperately looking for a pass the back of the defence which just never came unfortunately for him. Composed on his goal, was still nervous when gk missed the ball and he was running towards the goal from an angle to score open goal, seen people take to long and get tackled or fluff it wide before but he sealed the game for us.
Doherty - I presume he was brought on for Hause to try and offer us something more on the left going forward but didn't need to as we pretty much scored directly after his introduction.
EEL - Wasn't on very long to really review

Also thought Edwards celebration was top draw from him today to kiss the black armband and raise it to the southbank.

AIt seems to me that a lot of the Wolves forward play we lack confidence and ambition, we need to be braver. Personally I am seeing a different MacDonald to everyone else, I thought he was very poor, his passing was the worst I've seen it and he constantly turned into trouble.

agree with that first bit, when Rajiv ran at the left back in the second half he beat him every time. He's very skilful, but with the pace he possesses he should be more direct sometimes. It adds variety to his game because he was good coming off the line too. Henry had a bit of a stinker after apparently being very good last Sunday.

On McDonald, I thought he was great and I think the stats back that up. 99 passes, 80%,pass accuracy, his forward ball set up the goal (fortunate I know), he put Henry through on goal in the first half, when we need it most he put his foot on the ball and I think having him as a short ball for a player like Iorfa is a dream. He knows he can pass it to him and he will keep hold of it.

Will a grown Quirk be mocked for crying at the end when the Sir Jacks chant were sang after Beniks goal. It was very emotional before but just for that spilt second emotion hit me. That's for you Sir Jack God bless you.
It hit me and I'm over 2000 kilometers away!

Alex, there is so much wrong with that I don't really know where to start, but your MOTM is comedy (Iorfa was by a mile) and VLP skinned his full back pretty much every time, it was his final ball that was poor

Stand by my earlier comment. Thought we were awful and were lucky not to be 1-0 down at half time.

Tribute to Sir Jack was just amazing. Was greetin when our second went iiin.

We had the best chance of the first half and controlled the possession completely without doing much with it. Fair enough of that's how you saw it though

It was a fantastic moment when the whole of the stadium was stood up signing for Sir Jack at the end.

Where was this chance for Blackpool to put us one down at half time? They did nothing.

A day I will never forget.

So moving.

Well done to all involved.

Where was this chance for Blackpool to put us one down at half time? They did nothing.

One tame shot that Ikeme smoked a fag , then read the paper and then stubbed his fag out then went down to collect it.

First half was crap until we brought Afobe on. Then VLP started to get at his marker and tore him to shreds several times, however all of his crosses were into no mans land, then one last run reaped benefits and Davy Gravy was on hand to tap home.

Second half was a keep ball exercise but lack of any decent balls, VLP should have laid a few on a plate though but like I said above he finally found his man. Glad to see Afobe getting a goal, I thought he could have buried an effort when he got space on the edge of the area but tried the pass in instead of the shot.

I must also make an extra mention to the Blackpool captain for coming out with a tribute and putting it behind the goal at the South Bank. Really, Blackpool were magnificent in helping us to get the tribute to Sir Jack right, and I will always be thankful for that.

Not only putting it behind the goal but also acknowledged the fans, think Blackpool have behaved very well throughout

15 shots, 3 on target. That's terrible. :icon_sad:

Thankfully 2 of them went in and we gathered another 3 points, and a clean sheet too. :clap:

Would have loved to be at the Mol today, atmosphere sounded incredible and that video of the fans singing 'Thumbs up, if you love Sir Jack' ..... what can you say..... Wolves outdid themselves today. From the huge sign in the corner between Steve Bull and SB, to the fans singing that at the end, and the 3points that Jack would've wanted, it was all a perfect send off to the man who turned our fortunes around, and I'm really proud to be a Wolves fan today.

Also pleased to hear about Blackpool fans paying their respects, fair play to them, they've gone up in my estimation and I hope they can rid themselves of the Oystons ASAP and turn their own fortunes around.

Thanks to the players for keeping going till the end and winning it for Sir Jack

10/10 for all of them today.

and the fans as well.

An early return to the West Country for me as I managed to catch a connection at Basingstoke that had gone before I got there :hmmm:

Game quality poor for the most part as Blackpool didn't want to or couldn't try to do any better & we spent much of continually turning & going backwards again. When we did get forward Dicko had 3 sitting on him & final balls were poor.

Edwards first half chance should have been buried - seemed as if he couldn't decide whether to pass to Dicko with his left or shoot with his right - ended up shooting with his left instead, so the worst of both worlds.

Second half with Afobe on it opened up more & Edwards took the goal well. Blackpool completely cocked up for the second with all of them looking at each other whilst Afobe just took the ball into an open area and calmly slotted it away.

However having won the quality was not the most important element of the day. A superb & emotional send off for Sir Jack (as I was in the SB lower I assume that the SB Upper didn't cock the cards up as couldn't see). Far as I could tell singing from all parts of the ground with a brilliant 'thumbs up for Sir Jack' at the end. Leg feels knackered now, but so glad I was there.

Finally - No Dave/No Disco :icon_biggrin:

Back