• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - 3 Spurs: The "where's the VAR" result thread

Very late to the party here. Thank you to Kenny once again, for allowing me to use his ticket for this one, and to Deutsch for doing the legwork. Wasn't a bad match to be at - very entertaining and a nice tribute beforehand, which I thought looked great under the floodlights. Great to meet Booz & Trips (considering we speak practically every day it was a pleasure to put faces to the names after all this time!). And great to catch up with Johnny, Banjo, Paddy etc beforehand (apologies if I've missed you out).

In terms of the match itself - football makes you want to scream sometimes. This was one of those occasions. We absolutely deserved something from that match - for large chunks we outplayed and outclassed a team that has been finishing in the top 4 of the PL for the best part of a decade.

Some concerns; maybe we're a little predictable? Don't get me wrong - I love the football we're playing and I wouldn't change it for the world compared to what we've seen in recent history. But I wonder if sometimes we're a little predictable going from side to side. This is why MGW was a revelation when he came on. He tried to do something different. He skinned Winks - he played balls between the lines - he got between the Spurs midfield and defence (rather then playing nice passes in front of them like Moutinho/Neves). It didn't all come off for him, but it doesn't matter - something *could* have happened, and lets be honest, Costa should have been finishing off his chance when he's 1 on 1 v Lloris. Moutinho and Neves are superb footballers - but they're quite similar. MGW offers something different - plus for me Neves is still playing too deep. Soon as we pushed him up the field a bit he forced Lloris in to a world class save in the bottom corner. I'm not suggesting we drop either of Neves or Moutinho, because that isn't going to happen, but I'd like to see more of MGW.

Bennett stunk the place out. After he picked up his booking he seemed very nervous both making tackles and with the ball at his feet. Time for Dendonker to come in for me.

The issue is, Nuno has picked a team all season to keep clean sheets. We haven't done that recently, but we have players in the squad (like Vinagre) who can hurt other teams and get the opposition on the back foot. I get the impression Nuno doesn't trust those players from the start - or maybe it's that the other lads haven't given him a reason to switch it up - but I would like to see Dendonker, MGW & Vinagre feature more moving forward.

Bonatini. For the first 10 minutes after he came on, I couldn't work out where he was playing or what he was doing. He seemed to be out on the left, but every time we had the ball moving forward he was behind the play. However, to his credit he did keep plugging away and I thought he made an impact in the end. I don't think he's the answer, but credit where it's due.

My final point is on the officials. When you play a top team (well, any team really), you need them to get the big decisions right. We were badly let down by the linesman and referee when they gave Doherty offside when he's about 2 x yards on. The game could have panned out in another direction if that goal is given. Very, very disappointing and it's in that scenario where I'd like the referee or officials to be hauled out in front of the television cameras to explain themselves. They are far to protected.

I could say a lot more about the match, but a lot of it has been said & this is already a long post. Overall it's very positive and a pleasure to watch this team. I hope we can get a result against Arsenal, because we don't deserve to have lost 4 on the spin.

a point regarding all linesmen is that its impossible to watch a player about to pass and the player about to receive at the same time - there has to be a split second difference. hoever the official never seems to take this into consideration, and i thought that many years ago it was the principle that any advantage should be in the forwards favour. never is though, players on goalie always have foul against even though most times the goalie has fucked up. just an irritation i'd had for many a season.

a point regarding all linesmen is that its impossible to watch a player about to pass and the player about to receive at the same time - there has to be a split second difference. hoever the official never seems to take this into consideration, and i thought that many years ago it was the principle that any advantage should be in the forwards favour. never is though, players on goalie always have foul against even though most times the goalie has fucked up. just an irritation i'd had for many a season.

Another good reason to introduce VAR - passes can in from 20+ yards away

Good thread here from wolves stats on where we are:

https://twitter.com/WolvesAnalytics/status/1059886494318542848?s=19

[Nice to see someone agreeing with me that Neves needs to shoot less too]

Neves should shoot less? So we should have less shots on goal to create other chances? That's crazy logic unless you think Neves is shooting rather than playing a forward in, which quite clearly isn't the case.

Also shooting creates problems for defenders and keepers as they know he'll shoot but if he just passed then he'd be predictable so you close down the options rather than the shot on goal. Goal scoring opportunities are rare at this level and they should all be taken, every time. I doubt Harry Kane looks for the pass rather than get the shot off.

Of course stats can't tell you that, neither do they map movement off the ball and missed opportunities to pass/ create a goal scoring opportunity.

Didn't Jinky suggest Neves should shoot less a few days before the Derby match....?

No, it confirms that Neves shooting less is a silly idea :)

Neves shoots a lot, a good few times there is a pass on elsewhere.

I get that shots may lead to other chances, but not if they go over or wide.

Didn't Jinky suggest Neves should shoot less a few days before the Derby match....?
It was before his first goal away v Hull. Got in there early with that enormous faux pas did our Jinks.

Neves shoots a lot, a good few times there is a pass on elsewhere.

I get that shots may lead to other chances, but not if they go over or wide.

So Neves should be more accurate.

It was before his first goal away v Hull. Got in there early with that enormous faux pas did our Jinks.

Wasn't that the 3rd game of the season? Not like Jinks to rush to impatient conclusions.

Wasn't that the 3rd game of the season? Not like Jinks to rush to impatient conclusions.

Mountain/molehill. And I’m sure we’d all like to live with the benefit of hindsight. It was a blasé comment based on what I’d seen of him up to that point, which I made without the realisation it would still be brought up 12 months later.

He’d spannered all of his shots in to the stands or the first man up to that point. Very unlike you (and the other boys above) to be smug after the event...

Tredman has got it right. Neves should be more selective with his shooting.

which I made without the realisation it would still be brought up 12 months later.

Let me introduce you to the Internet and how it works...

Mountain/molehill. And I’m sure we’d all like to live with the benefit of hindsight. It was a blasé comment based on what I’d seen of him up to that point, which I made without the realisation it would still be brought up 12 months later.

He’d spannered all of his shots in to the stands or the first man up to that point. Very unlike you (and the other boys above) to be smug after the event...

Tredman has got it right. Neves should be more selective with his shooting.

Isn't it in the rule book for TWF that you and Tredders are never right?

Back