• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 2 - Derby 3, Verdict Thread.

No they don't. What good will it do? It's despicable to boo your own player during a game. No matter how $#@! they're playing - doing that is only going to make things worse. And in this instance Batth's commitment is never in question even if his form is pretty dire at the moment.

Credit to the fans who sang his name in reply to the morons who booed him.
Agreed imo

Lonergan - Gets a lot of blame for the first goal. His terrible kick starts it and then he should do better with the first header I think. Then didn't put a foot wrong and made some awesome saves but that doesn't make costing us a goal okay. 7
Doherty - Quite good going forward. Being asked to tuck into midfield doesn't suit him at all and glad that didn't happen as much in the second half. That said, defending still is not good enough. 6
Iorfa - Shocking. Gave the ball away so many times as he appears unable to actually pass a ball. Doesn't look suited to being a CB at all either, and I'm not sure that's gonna change. Should not play here again. RB maybe, CB no. 3
Batth - Equally as bad. Clearly isn't communicating like he needs to be, which isn't helping Iorfa. Also can't do the basics properly. I'd suggest dropping him but tbh any two from Hause, him and Stears are gonna be rubbish. 3
CBJ - Wasn't convinced he knew where Ince was a lot of the time. Didn't offer anything going forward either. Can't say I've been impressed when I've seen him. 4
Coady - Was overrun initially. Not sure what I think of him as he seems to drive from midfield pretty well, but only when we're on top in a game. When we're struggling he should be the one winning it back and he just doesn't do it. 4
Edwards - Thought he had a decent game, but maybe because he showed what real determination and tenacity looks like. Won the ball back a lot. Tried to take on a few too many men a couple of times though, which is not his strength. Classic Dave goal. Remains technically not good enough. 7
Texiera - Wasn't getting into the game before being scapegoated. 4
Costa - Quiet first half. Better second but his final ball really isn't good enough. He frequently does all the hard work and then drives his cross far over everyone. Undoubtedly one of our most dangerous players though. 6
Cav - Second half he showed what we paid for. Wasted a couple of opportunities by being selfish though. Certainly the best option I've seen play out here. 7.5 MOTM
Bod - Needs resting. Just is not going his way atm. 4

Subs:
Saville - Came on, got booked, don't remember seeing him ever again. We did improve with him on the field but don't know if that was actually down to him. 5
Dicko - Off the pace still. Should have at least connected with his header. So whilst overall I'm gonna say he didn't play that well, I want to see him getting more game time. 5
Wallace - Did he touch it? 0

RE - Nice idea with the initial selection. Didn't work. He changed something. It improved. I dont like the full backs tucking in though. And I'm not sure if it was his change that actually made a difference. Over the last two games though, I'm glad he hasn't been given the job. 5
Ref - Not shocking. Only made one bad error, which was awarding their penalty. Never was. Neither were any of ours, but if you give theirs then we get Cav's for sure. The handball was 50:50, not sure where it hit so have no issues with this not being given. 7

Maybe we should play 1sts vs 2nds as a warm up for 45 minutes and see if we then actually start playing at the start of the game. Didn't deserve anything over the course of 90 minutes.

Just watched the game on TV after being at Molineux yesterday. The defence is an absolute disgrace. They are so, so badly organised, Rob Edwards can count himself extremely lucky to be back in his old role as defensive coach after presiding over that complete clusterfuck. I have a little sympathy for him because the players he's got to work with are shite but that was a horror show.

It's a damning indictment of both our coaching and our players lack of mental fortitude that we have to react the way we do at Molineux every single time. Rob Edwards had no control over his team in the second half, we once again sent out 11 individuals who were playing for themselves rather than with any kind of tactical plan. We lose early goals through shite defending, let the South Bank's criticism/support affect us and completely abandon whatever bullshit system we've been sent out with in favour of some childish 'spirited comeback'. Completely braindead. I stayed back to applaud them off the pitch as I'd been swept along with it myself and at the time felt they deserved it after their 'efforts' in the second half but reflecting on it now I wish I hadn't bothered.

Lambert has a hell of a task on his hands turning this rabble into any form of respectable football team. I'd suggest he start by removing Danny Batth's armband and benching the clumsy half wit but I'm not sure that we've got anyone to take over on either front, Richard Stearman is the last person you want to see in this defence and nobody apart from maybe Eddo deserves to be captain. I gave Ken pelters for it last season but I really feel like we need to play all out defence up until Jan, grind out a couple of undeserved wins and make ourselves safe because this team has the potential to spiral out of control.

I joked before the game about going 3 at the back and how bad we'd be with both Iorfa and Hause in the same defence but I'm starting to think that might be the way to go. Our back 4 are so obviously our weak point, maybe we need to give them a little more help. LVG did it with Holland in Brazil, he knew his centre backs weren't good enough so he added another body. Lambert played in a 3-5-2 under MON at Celtic as well so he'd know how to coach it.

Lonergan

Doherty Iorfa Batth Hause Silvio

Edwards Saiss Teixeira

Bodvarsson Cavaleiro

SUBS: Flatt, Dicko, Helder Costa, Stearman, Borthwick-Jackson, Wallace, Coady​

How fucking bad is it if that's the type of team I'd genuinely think would improve us. Fucking rubbish Wolves. The January transfer window can't come quick enough, Thelwell and Mendes had better be fucking busy.

Most of the points I have have already been made, just a couple more to add. We are now 9 points from the play offs so are looking for a footballing miracle which I don't think anyone is expecting. Therefore anyone we sign in January will know that they are coming for a minimum of a season and a half in the Championship. This will reduce our options.

Contrast Carson's distribution with that from Ikeme and Lonergan. Time and again he started their attacks with measured passes rather than aimless hoofs up the pitch. Their penalty came from his distribution. I want a keeper that can do that in January please.

Edwards isn't specifically a defensive coach is he? His role now is just first team coach, just because he played at the back doesn't mean that's his focus when coaching.

It was interesting to watch that each time Lonergan gathered the ball he looked to play out from the back, which i prefer to see rather than an aimless hoof up the middle of the park. Not sure once in 90 mins our back four or midfield dropped off to come and get the ball, result being another hoof up the field that came straight back at us...

Edwards isn't specifically a defensive coach is he? His role now is just first team coach, just because he played at the back doesn't mean that's his focus when coaching.

Jackett bought Ricketts in to work with the defence and Edwards replaced him when he left.

Jackett bought Ricketts in to work with the defence and Edwards replaced him when he left.
I don't recall either of them being mentioned specifically helping out defensively. Thought there was a gap between Ricketts' department and Edwards' promotion too?

It's very clear the defence is poor but hopefully Lambert can at least improve its organisation so we stop leaving opposition strikers effectively unmarked. If he can do that he's got some decent attackers, add a striker and were off.
Simple game eh?
As for this game, simply woeful 1st half but at least competitive 2nd. Edwards and Cav our 2 best by a distance. Worst player? Pick any of the back 4 as there's a case for it being any one of them, however booing Danny was stupid and unlikely to help him.

I still think the two fullbacks were ok (not good). The central two were devoid of communication and had no understanding of what they were being asked to do.

For me Iorfa was the worst player on the pitch, he had the entire game. At least Danny Batth tried, despite having a shocker.

Just watched the game on TV after being at Molineux yesterday. The defence is an absolute disgrace. They are so, so badly organised, Rob Edwards can count himself extremely lucky to be back in his old role as defensive coach after presiding over that complete cluster$#@!. I have a little sympathy for him because the players he's got to work with are $#@!e but that was a horror show.

It's a damning indictment of both our coaching and our players lack of mental fortitude that we have to react the way we do at Molineux every single time. Rob Edwards had no control over his team in the second half, we once again sent out 11 individuals who were playing for themselves rather than with any kind of tactical plan. We lose early goals through $#@!e defending, let the South Bank's criticism/support affect us and completely abandon whatever bull$#@! system we've been sent out with in favour of some childish 'spirited comeback'. Completely braindead. I stayed back to applaud them off the pitch as I'd been swept along with it myself and at the time felt they deserved it after their 'efforts' in the second half but reflecting on it now I wish I hadn't bothered.

Lambert has a hell of a task on his hands turning this rabble into any form of respectable football team. I'd suggest he start by removing Danny Batth's armband and benching the clumsy half wit but I'm not sure that we've got anyone to take over on either front, Richard Stearman is the last person you want to see in this defence and nobody apart from maybe Eddo deserves to be captain. I gave Ken pelters for it last season but I really feel like we need to play all out defence up until Jan, grind out a couple of undeserved wins and make ourselves safe because this team has the potential to spiral out of control.

I joked before the game about going 3 at the back and how bad we'd be with both Iorfa and Hause in the same defence but I'm starting to think that might be the way to go. Our back 4 are so obviously our weak point, maybe we need to give them a little more help. LVG did it with Holland in Brazil, he knew his centre backs weren't good enough so he added another body. Lambert played in a 3-5-2 under MON at Celtic as well so he'd know how to coach it.

Lonergan

Doherty Iorfa Batth Hause Silvio

Edwards Saiss Teixeira

Bodvarsson Cavaleiro

SUBS: Flatt, Dicko, Helder Costa, Stearman, Borthwick-Jackson, Wallace, Coady​

How $#@!ing bad is it if that's the type of team I'd genuinely think would improve us. $#@!ing rubbish Wolves. The January transfer window can't come quick enough, Thelwell and Mendes had better be $#@!ing busy.

If you are going 3 5 2 or similar that could eliminate Doherty defensive frailties

Lonergan

Iorfa stearman Hause

Doherty Saiss, Coady,Silvio
Edwards
Dicko. Cavalerro

TeX for Edwards
Bod for spare striker
Batth,spare back or CBJ
Costa spare winger
Saville spare midfield
Price spare holding

It could be done with the staff we have without much disruption. I would want additions in January but its 7 games away and we need to stop losing every week!

Danny Batth isn't the problem. He needs a leader next to him to organise him and tell him where to be. When Williamson was fit he did that role perfectly and we looked good at the back. We just need a quality experienced head alongside him in the middle.

Danny Batth isn't the problem. He needs a leader next to him to organise him and tell him where to be. When Williamson was fit he did that role perfectly and we looked good at the back. We just need a quality experienced head alongside him in the middle.
Longer term I totally agree but TBH I'd take him out of the firing line for a while as his confidence is totally shot. Helped immensely by some of our wonderful fans of course.

Even though they were abysmal as a partnership at the start of last season I'd now play Hause and Stearman for a change as Batth and Iorfa were both THAT bad yesterday.

Iorfa should go back to right back - I loved him there. Centre back his bambi legs give him trouble, but right back he's a massive asset. And vastly better than Doherty too.

A mixture of thoughts on reflection from yesterday having slept on it.

Team selection - Whilst I was happier to see the likes of Cav & Tex starting it wasn't clear where the backbone of the team would be, if Batth and Coady were meant to be it they failed horribly. I don't think Saiss will be a fans favorite but if we are to play a single anchor man it must be him.

1st half - Oh dear god! This was as bad as I have seen served up under any manager. Horrendous defending players out of position everywhere, no bite (Edwards excused from that) and no plan. It was clear that something was very very wrong however making Tex the scapegoat wasn't the answer IMO. We could very easily have been 3-4 down at half time.

2nd half - It was as if we had subbed out our entire team, much more bite and desire, players pressing effectively and getting the ball out wide to our danger men in Costa and Cav. I don't think there was a single penalty in today's game however they got one and it cost us a point. If we are to continue with a front 3 I would like to see a more compact unit, Bod looks horribly isolated at the moment, I am a big fan of a strike partnership, this is something we need to address.

Lonners 6 - At fault twice for the first goal IMO, poor kick then he palmed the header, which he could have caught. That said from the first goal onwards he had a cracking game with some super saves. The 1 on 1 save to keep us in with a shout was superb, should retain his place even if leadboots is fit.

Doc 6 - If I was just reviewing his attacking play it would be a much better rating and our Matt doesn't struggle in this area at all. I saw the comparison to Lee Naylor elsewhere and I can see it going that way. Did well going forward, out of position and shakey at the back, I don't mind him as cover for either fullback but not 1st team quality. I would drop for Silvio next game.

Iorfa 2 - Confidence gone, quite literally all over the shop. I think he and DB are suffering from the lack of a real leader and again I wonder how different things would be with a fit Williamson. Should be taken out of the firing line and allowed to get his confidence back. Hopefully we havent broken him completely. I would drop for Hause next game.

Batth 2 - Similar to Iorfa but this guy is meant to be our captain and clearly doesnt have the positional sense to do it. As others have suggested he needs some help, I would also drop him to allow him to get his shit together. I would drop for Stearman for now.

CBJ 5 - You can see this lad is gifted, on the ball he is so composed and rarely misses a pass, his positional play and defending need some work. If he stays with us for the rest of the season and we get some experience in I think he will improve.

Coady 4 - He ran around a lot but didn't really do much, I think he will play better with Saiss in the team, improved 2nd half.

Edwards 8 MOTM - I am not Dave's biggest fan at all but today I tip my hat to him, fought when things were going to shit, won the ball when he had no right to do so and scored a cracking goal. This Dave Edwards can stay in the team no problem at all in the short term.

Tex 2 - He is very lightweight but there is talent in there, Lambert needs to work out where he should be playing and fast. Subbing him in the 1st half will do him no good at all and he looked distraught.

Cav 7 - Nowhere to be seen in the 1st half but came to life in the 2nd, involved in practically all our good work going forward and very unlucky not to be on the scoresheet himself. With better balance and match fitness I think he will be the business for us.

Bod 5 - Looks a little short on confidence similar to others but worked his socks off and cleverly fed the ball to Costa for the goal, I think Bod would be much better in a 4-4-2 with a strike partner (Dicko)

Costa 7 - Similar to Cav, a little box of tricks, needs to have a look sometimes, could have put it on a plate for Bod. A pleasure to watch sometimes.

Subs,

Saville 2 - Sorry just not good enough, got himself booked, managed to slow play down by not releasing the ball when he had it. Just nowhere near good enough, time to get rid.

Dicko 6 - A few good moments, needs more game time and I would like to see him alongside Bod.

Wallace 0 - Didn't do anything

We have to steady the ship now, we are too close to the rabble at the bottom and shouldn't be. I hope Lambert brings some stability and organisation that is currently lacking, he has a job on his hands that's for sure.

Before Fosun officially took over, I think all of us targeted more defensive options especially another keeper (Before Jackett brought in Loneghan) not to challenge but to take the number one role, we also said a centre half would be nice. Mendes and co fed into the Football Manager bullshit that attacking players alone would win the day. Now look at the sorry mess. The player recruitment in hindsight was a complete clusterfuck. Hopefully Lambert has more of a say in who comes in, then Wenga who just played the game with whatever he was given.

Quirk... It's Lonergan. Where are you getting that h from?

Think its a harsh on Fosun blaming them for our defensive problems, we did try to sign a CB but got knocked back and ran out of time, I think we all knew we needed one but thought we could probably manage till Jan, all of our defenders have the ability to be OK Champ players, they just need a leader/organizer and to get back a bit of confidence. I really think Stearman needs to come in, not because he is any better but simply because he isn't so shell shocked.

The takeover so close to the season start wouldn't have helped & the fact that Williamson is completely crocked. Not that he is a brilliant CH (though you don't need to be in the Championship), but he did show in the few games that he did play that he can be competant & solid & more importantly gave leadership & direction to the other defenders.

From the game that I actually saw him play live he seemed to spend most of his time dragging everyone else into the right position & keeping them there to deal with the opposition. Did have the ability to anticipate what might happen and react accordingly, which none of the others have which is why they get caught out of position so often

What we need is a time machine so we can go back & retrieve Frank Munro & Joleon Lescott in their prime

Back