• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Wolves 3-0 Everton: Verdict Thread

I'm going to be slightly more cautious than most. I thought we were good, not fantastic. Burnley will provide a far harder test, so I'll try not to get too excited until we've beaten them. The reason I say that is that I thought Everton were dire - at least as bad as Bournemouth or Villa. The game's xG was 3.15 - 0.34 and if I was an Everton fan and was offered 13th for next season I'd snatch your hand off.

That caution aside, I thought Podence was great - a player with a real football brain. And let's just give Jota GOTM now shall we? Tackle, wonder pass, brilliant finish. Perfect goal

Lots to praise today. Even before the penalty it felt better than the usual first-half performance. More energy, tried to be a bit more creative, and best of all we were creating some chances. To me it didn't feel like Podence has totally clicked with the rest of the forwards or got used to our style of play yet; not that big a surprise hasn't had that much time with the team, but it seemed to add something to our game. He cut inside rather than outside and a nice bit of skill won us the penalty which was dispatched excellently.

Back three was superb throughout, Boly especially. Thought the wing-backs were quite (Doc didn't do much at all I think?) but we were so dominant in the middle Everton couldn't get the ball out into any threatening area. Neves was phenomenal and Dendoncker all over - added the threat from set pieces which is what we tried to do against Arsenal and failed. Good delivery by Neto! Think I was hesitant to criticise Moutinho before but dropping him today was the right choice, hopefully Neto's injury isn't too bad. Jota should have scored his first chance but did well on the second, should help his confidence. Intelligent play to set up Traore who should score but we were out of sight, could have scored 5 if we wanted.

We were good but Everton were very bad, has to be said. Midfield was weak, defence tepid and torn to shreds time after time particularly towards the end. Might be on the beach but their past three games doesn't bode well for the future - shit performances all around (Pickford is crazily bad now, Joe Hart-esque rise and fall in a third of the time) and the tactics were unclear. Baines was out of position and midfield in a weird shape. I missed the start so didn't see what formation Sky thought they were lining up with but had no clue watching. I couldn't tell what role Davies was meant to play, seemed to be all over whilst bringing nothing, used to think he had good potential but was crap.

Nice win overall, pleasing day! Hopefully Spurs and Arsenal draw.

I'm going to be slightly more cautious than most. I thought we were good, not fantastic. Burnley will provide a far harder test, so I'll try not to get too excited until we've beaten them. The reason I say that is that I thought Everton were dire - at least as bad as Bournemouth or Villa. The game's xG was 3.15 - 0.34 and if I was an Everton fan and was offered 13th for next season I'd snatch your hand off.

That caution aside, I thought Podence was great - a player with a real football brain. And let's just give Jota GOTM now shall we? Tackle, wonder pass, brilliant finish. Perfect goal
I think you are missing Everton's going through the motions approach. With the manager they have they'll be on the top 10 next season

I needed that. Fucking superb performance.

Neves, Podence, Dendoncker, Jonny and Coady were absolutely class. I love watching Wolves when we're on top form. So much fun.

Sent from my GM1920 using Tapatalk

I think you are missing Everton's going through the motions approach. With the manager they have they'll be on the top 10 next season

Possibly. If any bookie has 3/1 for them to finish bottom half I'll be getting stuck in

Exactly the tonic we needed after the last few games.

Podence gave a brilliant performance- surely him, Jiménez and Jota starting up top next time out?
Very likely if Neto can't make the next game. Hope it's not too serious if it's a calf injury.

Moutinho can’t do what Neves does and the work Dendoncker got through today allowed Neves to control the game and also gave us more bodies in the final third. Same team Wednesday but Jota for the injured Neto.

Traore stuck to impact sub duties. We’re a far more fluid team without him and we’d have caused havoc down their left today with a quality WB instead of Doc

we’d have caused havoc down their left today with a quality WB instead of Doc

Agreed.

People moan about Jonny always cutting back/inside but I much prefer that to Doc just passing the ball out of play or flicking it straight into the nearest opponents shins.

He's clearly a level below everyone around him atm. He had that one moment in the first half where he burst through after a nice link up with Raúl but that's really it in an attacking sense since lockdown.

Agreed.

People moan about Jonny always cutting back/inside but I much prefer that to Doc just passing the ball out of play or flicking it straight into the nearest opponents shins.

He's clearly a level below everyone around him atm. He had that one moment in the first half where he burst through after a nice link up with Raúl but that's really it in an attacking sense since lockdown.

Proper Dave Edwards moment. Get into a decent position and then all technique goes and take a shot completely off balance for no reason as under little pressure.

So are we now at the Neves or Moutinho stage, when we play two in the middle?

Don’t think so personally, my first choice would still be Joao and Ruben, but at least we saw we can trust Donck in that role (which wasn’t a surprise tbf) more often.

We were good, they were awful.

Nice to see us creating more in general play. Podence has a lot to offer to this team, which was great to witness, very intelligent footballer.

Apparently Neto has a muscle injury and could miss a few games.

West Ham no longer have the 'honour' of worst team we've faced since we came back up. They were truly appalling but that shouldn't detract from how well we played throughout. Passed it well, created plenty, tempo was better. Much needed of course with yesterday's result, I suppose you can nitpick and say we could have had 5 or 6...

Podence and Neves both outstanding. Donck had a good game and may be more suited to Burnley's shithousing.

We're finished in two weeks so sadly that is probably Neto done, still have options though.

A note on Sigurdsson and Richarlison - disgraceful attitudes. Probably on about £200k a week between them, doubt they broke sweat.

I completely forgot that Sig was on the pitch for a good 50 minutes or so.

That is the only game I've not been able to watch since the re-start and sounds like I missed the best one!

Much needed 3 points. Let's hope we can carry that performance into the next couple of games.

Traore stuck to impact sub duties. We’re a far more fluid team without him[...]

One wonders how much of this is the psychology of the players knowing that lumping it at him is a decent enough bet and how much is instruction.

My guess is the former as even though Adama is by far our most direct dribbler, there's no reason we can't play fluid football a la the first half today with him in the side. We just don't seem to do it, for whatever reason.

Great performance and even better result, should have been at least 5 if Jota and Traore had done better but at least Jota came good second time of asking and was excellent setting up Traore for his effort. Neves was excellent today, both of those balls setting up Jota showed great vision and awareness.

Podence - what a player! Very impeessed by him and need to see more of him from now on.

Lets hope that Neto isn't too badly hurt.

Feels great getting back to winning ways after 2 poor results. 4 wins from 6 and no draws!

One wonders how much of this is the psychology of the players knowing that lumping it at him is a decent enough bet and how much is instruction.

My guess is the former as even though Adama is by far our most direct dribbler, there's no reason we can't play fluid football a la the first half today with him in the side. We just don't seem to do it, for whatever reason.

Nah it’s not his game. He still stands very still and waits for the ball to come. He’s also not got that low centre of gravity to receive it back to goal or on the turn like the others. And also when he gets it he rarely pops it off quickly and moves. He gets it and you know he’s just going to run. That’s not a problem, it has its benefits like against Bournemouth and West Ham.

Nah it’s not his game. He still stands very still and waits for the ball to come. He’s also not got that low centre of gravity to receive it back to goal or on the turn like the others. And also when he gets it he rarely pops it off quickly and moves. He gets it and you know he’s just going to run. That’s not a problem, it has its benefits like against Bournemouth and West Ham.

Not quite like that anymore, not drastically moreso than the rest, IMO.

Also, not got a low center of gravity? Literally, what?

Not quite like that anymore, not drastically moreso than the rest, IMO.

Also, not got a low center of gravity? Literally, what?
This is from the same person who said that Pedro Neto wasn't fast. Clearly not to be taken seriously.

Back