• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Yanks to ban Heading

He'll have another generation on you, that could be why, I guess being top dog perhaps gives him a sense of being above the law too maybe, he's paying these blokes wages so why should he be taking orders from them? It's his name above the door though so anything that comes of his defiance is going to look worse on him than anyone else.

I've not had much interaction with him personally but he comes across as a bit of a difficult character.

Cyber-that was a mere tickle. I have answered your questions, please reread both of my posts for your answer. It is covered under modern equipment and athletes. Helmets for heading is non-sensical, if players are to wear helmets it would be for contacts (head to head, knee to head) and they are rare, making helmets unnecessary.

The bold parts read on their own would agree with you but read in context will give you a better understanding as the whole post aims to do.

Also, motorbike, cricket and baseball helmets are 1-shot helmets, in that you should throw them away after that. Other sports are multiple impact and so materials, forces and properties change.

It's taken me over a decade to get to here so trying to impart knowledge may look a little condescending so apologies if it does.

Leeds - absolutely, education is key, I'd like to see that, especially in your industry which tends to say 'wear this' but never why, how can we change that?

I have now read and understood all of what you are telling me. Thanks. It does beg the question though why the right protective gear is not being used and utilsed for the right sport or the right dangers. Perhaps a lighter ball for under 14's or a slightly smaller ball and goal for juniors would be the answer? A smaller surface area of ball making the impact would cause less vibration in the neck and arm muscles? Thats a guess am I right?

I hated wearing boxing helmets 30 years ago and am glad to see the back of them but I also know that , even with gloves, I good punch causes a hell of a lot of head shake. ( Not to mention facial swelling lol)

Anything that makes sport safe has to be a positive however to the common person without medical training it is very much a grey area. What you think should be helping can be useless and what you think should be useless could be helping. Solve this Johnny75 and " you and me Rodney in 12 months time we'll be millionaires"

And finally for Alan.........

View attachment 1175

Last edited by a moderator:
You are right with a smaller, lighter ball but not surface area. An increase in surface area means the same force across that area is less transmitted force (f=ma for the geeks amongst us).

You make a good point about boxing gloves in that a gloved punch doesn't carry the same impact force a bare knuckle punch does as there is a big layer of foam between the hand and target. Of course this foam has to stop both sides of the equation and some would argue the wraps get drenched in sweat and eroding nature of the foam means blows will feel heavier and hurt more as the fight goes on. I have no data but that's the theory.

Your last sentence is indeed the conundrum the helmet manufacturers are trying to solve. Add in multi v one impact and age and gender and in some cases build and you have a hell of a solution to find.

Footballers???? I'm guessing 75% of forum members are in deep shit, ha ha hA, ME INCLUDED OF COURSE!

Repeated impact on the brain damages it? Who knew....

Is this why footballers seem less intelligent, they've had a life time of heading the ball after all.
I'm sure it doesn't help their cause.

Well, head was gone for Fletch..

Back