• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coffee

Tbh I keep my delonghi bean to cup machine going by replacing it a la Trigger’s Broom (amazed if you get that!)

Can’t let that one slip under the radar.

British humour at its finest to Alan with love:

Reactions: b3h
Just watched normal v inverted and I don't get how either is different. Brew the coffee for 2 mins then press? Unless it's all in the magic turning upside down ha
The normal way let's the coffee drip through as soon as you pour the water in. Inverted has the filter on the top so you can brew with the full amount of water for however long you desire without the water dripping through too soon. Better control over variables.

Ahhhh OK. Didn't realise it started filtering straight away

The normal way let's the coffee drip through as soon as you pour the water in. Inverted has the filter on the top so you can brew with the full amount of water for however long you desire without the water dripping through too soon. Better control over variables.

Gravity’s a bitch.

• Haha
Yeah. Just thought it was just the pressure that did it all.

Sounds like it's a cross between V6 and clever dripper

Went for clever dripper over aeropress as I just couldn't get the idea of me pushing down on it and it slipping and burning the shit out of me out my head
Just catching up with this thread and you have no idea how funny that reads to someone who has no clue what a clever dripper is!
nor do I know what an aeropress is, (But if Machin thinks aeropress is good, then it must have some credibility) but I'm off to google both of them. I'll tap in 'clever dripper' with some apprehension...

My triggers broom coffee machine has finally given up the ghost, replaced it with another bean to cup machine which was faulty on arrival. So I give up.

Going to get a decent grinder and ‘something’ to make coffee. What do people recommend? I have an aeropress in the cupboard gathering dust and also a v60. Neither of which are my favourite. Would I be better off with a chemex or clever dripper? What’s the best way to get a medium cup of strong coffee simply? I probably have a Moka pot somewhere too but always thought they made a too smoky coffee.

Aeropress if I'm making coffee just for myself. A small 3 cup Moka pot if I'm making 2 (topped up with boiling water to make an Americano). Cafeteria if I'm making more.

Watch James Hoffman's ultimate Moka pot technique if your coffee is tasting too harsh or bitter.

I adore my Clever Dripper, though I still do traditional pour-overs with a Kalita Wave when I have the time.

@Tredman are you amenable to manual grinders? You get much better bang for your buck if so.

Thanks @machin05 and @Alan

I think my main problem with pour over is I’m just using a normal kettle. Every video I watch uses one of the swan neck things.

I’m going to get an electric grinder as I cba to be hand grinding at 5am. I’m getting a refund from the second bean to cup machine so will put it to that and perhaps a new kettle.

Goosenecks make traditional pour-overs much easier to replicate, for sure.

For something like a press, Aeropress, or Clever Dripper (really any emulsion method), the gain in pour control doesn't net much difference in the cup, since the water and grounds basically just sit with each other for an extended period (rather than the water constantly draining from the slurry, as in a traditional pour-over or batch brewer).

I am not as well-versed in modern electric grinders as I was a few years ago, but I know people tend to rave about Fellow's grinders, if you can afford them.

Best cup I've had is still at my mates with his cafetiere. I think it must be the slight sediment in it that I like. Complete opposite of when I was using the clever dripper I guess as that ends up perfectly crystal clear. I'm too lazy for either though!

Does the 'grind' affect the flavour? Daughter bought me some fancy coffee at Christmas and I noticed it was a rougher ground than the stuff I buy from my usual supplier which is much finer.

I prefer lighter roasts to darker roasts, contrary to popular belief lighter roads have more caffeine than the ultra dark roasts, the more you roast the bean the less caffeine. Light roasts give you amazing flavours, some are fruity, even had some sort of sweet caramel flavours from them.

I'll drink a dark roast as almost all mainstream companies seem to compete for who can get the darkest roast. Burnt flavours are not for me.

If I'm honest I'm addicted to coffee, I'm one of those insufferable people that has coffee with Oat or Almond milk which is painfully middle class, but I've never liked the taste of milk.

My mum used to import coffee from Italy where she's from, she said until the 90s it was hard to find non-instant coffee in the UK.

Does the 'grind' affect the flavour? Daughter bought me some fancy coffee at Christmas and I noticed it was a rougher ground than the stuff I buy from my usual supplier which is much finer.
Hugely, mate.

I don't spend enough time at home to justify having a coffee set up and getting coffee out is part of my ritual, but getting a good grinder should be up there on your list.

To be honest I like a rough/course grind because I'm convinced those fine grounds bring those burnt flavours I mentioned earlier but I might be wrong.

I've heard there's a mobile app for that..?

Back