• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Jeremy Corbyn

I could indeed I guess but I actually find your continued support for Corbyn really politically interesting. I admire your support for him while being slightly bemused by it!
Is it possible to support the policies without supporting the person? Corbyn may have been the nominated leader of the party but he was not the architect of the policies. The 2017 Labour Party manifesto was probably the closest this country has had to a real alternative in a generation, certainly since Thatcher.

Yes I would concede that point happily. However I don’t believe the manifesto was that great for the purposes of getting into government. Just a bit too radical I fear

There have been two radical maniestos in my life time that had a shot at power - Conservatives 1979 and Labour 2017. In 1979, Thatcher rolled over a government that was in crisis, a country that was facing real problems and it offered a radical alternative to the status quo. Every until Brexit was largely fought on who was best to manage the status quo.

2017 was a free hit for Labour. concerns about Corbyn’s fitness for office were still largely on the peripherally and they were trailing heavily in the polls. Then came the May effect and a general election that was meant to build a healthy Conservative majority ended on a knife edge where Labour could have ended up in government in a coalition had a relatively small number of votes gone another way. Ultimately they were 800000 votes short of wining the popular vote but still had 4/10 of the vote.

There were other factors in addition to May, probably a belief that the Labour Party was the only option to reverse Brexit - but I just don’t agree that this country wouldn’t vote in large numbers for a radical agenda because they did in 1979 and 2017.

If Starmer put the 2017 manifest to the electorate in the next election they would probably still win because whether radical can win is as much about the circumstances when those ideas are put forward as it is the policies themselves. A government that is riven by division, has lost the trust of large parts of the electorate and faces threats from Lib Dem and Reform provides a Thatcher-like opportunity for a radical agenda.

It won’t happen of course because that is not what the current Labour Party is about - they will offer something different to the Conservatives and that will be enough for power and then we will see what they are all about.

Long winded post in brief, radical can win in the right circumstances. 2017 was not quite the right circumstances but was as close as it had been since 1979.

Corbyn will not stand for reelection at the next GE

Said before I hold him 4th in line for the Brexit blame after Cameron, Farage, and Johnson

He certainly can have more than the odd good policy idea. And that one is a very good one, so credit to him.

The hypocrisy of the Heil is a glorious spectacle though!

Back