• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

2023/24 Season Fixtures

The most ridiculous stitch up was when covid delayed the European competitions into the summer. The PL decreed that any teams that got to the semis would have a bye in the first week.
Of course we only got to quarters so we missed out. Two teams got to the semis, so schedule them against each other that round surely? No.
Schedule them against the two teams that got to the quarters then? No.
Give two random teams that hadn't been in Europe a bye that week? Yes... 🤦🏼

The most ridiculous stitch up was when covid delayed the European competitions into the summer. The PL decreed that any teams that got to the semis would have a bye in the first week.
Of course we only got to quarters so we missed out. Two teams got to the semis, so schedule them against each other that round surely? No.
Schedule them against the two teams that got to the quarters then? No.
Give two random teams that hadn't been in Europe a bye that week? Yes... 🤦🏼
Yep, was proper annoyed with that.

I don't know how other fans feel regarding their clubs but everything seemed to go to shit for us during that period - teams getting star players fit again to nab an Euro spot from us, Jeff going power hungry, Nuno falling out of love with us due to playing in empty stadiums, Raul's injury.

Yep, was proper annoyed with that.

I don't know how other fans feel regarding their clubs but everything seemed to go to shit for us during that period - teams getting star players fit again to nab an Euro spot from us, Jeff going power hungry, Nuno falling out of love with us due to playing in empty stadiums, Raul's injury.
Final day against Chelsea. We weren't playing well but nothing was happening at either end, just drifting to a standard Nuno 0-0 first half. A draw would have done for us. An absolutely ludicrous dive by Alonso and they somehow get a free kick for it, goal.

Then Arsenal won the cup despite being shit that year.

Making us play Liverpool and City 36 or so hours apart too.

Funny how Klopp didn't have the same energy for player welfare at that time.

It'll be one of the great "what-ifs" in our history, I suppose.

I’m still bitter about Spurs finishing above us that season. Absolutely no chance that would have happened without covid.

We even had a thread about finishing in the top 4 FFS!
If we hadn't conceded an injury time equaliser at Burnley a top four finish would have been in our own hands going into the final game against Chelsea.*

* subject to the results of us beating Palace and Chelsea losing to Liverpool still happening.

If we hadn't conceded an injury time equaliser at Burnley a top four finish would have been in our own hands going into the final game against Chelsea.*

* subject to the results of us beating Palace and Chelsea losing to Liverpool still happening.
You can blame everyone's favourite beardy trundler for waving his arms in the air like he just didn't care.

In reality we were never a top four team. But we would have finished 6th, and it's very rare for 7th not to get you in Europe these days.

You can blame everyone's favourite beardy trundler for waving his arms in the air like he just didn't care.

In reality we were never a top four team. But we would have finished 6th, and it's very rare for 7th not to get you in Europe these days.
I think that I might have been here before with a similar conversation but I think that Tottenham would have won away at Palace if they needed to.
Arsenal beating Manchester City in the semi final and then Chelsea in the final was what nobody expected to deny us the European spot.

Christ, I'd wiped that from my memory! I was FUMING after that game! :mad:

Yeah, but no Covid means Spurs have no Kane or Son for the final 9 games, and we were already above them at that stage.
I think with a bit of luck we might have even finished 5th. Agree we weren’t a top four team but outside of that the quality of teams wasn’t as strong that year and we were just a very good side.

I don't get dramatic about the fixtures, no reason too. Is ours pretty tough? Certainly, but other teams have it just as tough. If we have a decent window and with Julen seem to be staying, I think we will be just fine.

Winning at Old Trafford will be a fantastic way to start the season.:cool:

Back