• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

I have just started reading some Alastair Reynolds sci-fi. Really interesting and good stuff. Trouble is, I am struggling to get time for novels lately as I am deeply immersed in the new Pathfinder roleplaying game and seem to spend most waking hours reading that or on here

I've read all his stuff apart from the latest. Revelation space and Redemption ark are epic. jealous of you. have you read A fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge?

I read Stephen King's The Stand years ago when everyone raved about it. I thought it was too long and overrated - it just petered out.

Last book I read was gateway by fred pohl and currently started reading the latest iain banks and the orange eats creeps by grace krilanovich - the blurb says this book "will mess you up" so I hope I'm not disappointed.

I've read all his stuff apart from the latest. Revelation space and Redemption ark are epic. jealous of you. have you read A fire upon the deep by Vernor Vinge?

I read Stephen King's The Stand years ago when everyone raved about it. I thought it was too long and overrated - it just petered out.

Last book I read was gateway by fred pohl and currently started reading the latest iain banks and the orange eats creeps by grace krilanovich - the blurb says this book "will mess you up" so I hope I'm not disappointed.

Interesting point Nimrod. I am a Stephen King fan, and "The Stand" was superb in my opinion. Yes it was long, but King has always been one for detail. I did not think it petered out, but I respect your views.

I've got 3 main authors I just get as soon as one of theirs is released , it's mine.

Lee Childs
Nelson De Mille
James Lee Burke

Lee Childs has a guy called Reacher, ex army, tough, big, wandering around America (But has been to France & Germany), gets involved in stuff always wins. Great story telling, virtually no romance, very sparse writing action packed and just terriffic reading.

Nelson De Mille, has two characters one is an American cop the other is a solicitor, complex plots, well written, lots of action, dry sense of humour but deeply affecting, highly convincing action, rivetting plots.

James Lee Burke has two characters too, one based in Missoula in Montana, a kind of lawman, a bit self righteous, but the writing is terrific, extremely descriptive, and the other is a detective based in New Iberia, Louisiana, and has a rough private detective. Great reads the lot of them.

I have every book those three have written and apart from JP Donleavy, Len Deighton and John Le Carrie are the only authors I've ever read twice.
Check 'em out on Amazon.

Sorry to lower the high-browness of it all, but im a big fan of anything written by Roger Kettle and Andrew Christine (Beau Peep, Man Called Horace) , or Goscinny and Uderzo ( Asterix).

The Tintin books by Herge were good too

I used to read at least a book a week, but just don't have the bloody time anymore, or inclination. Some books I'd highly recommend if you get chance.

The old man and the sea - hemmingway (although I'd read at least one of his other books first)

A good collection of short stories by Jack London, to include 'to build a fire' and 'a piece of steak' I would also recommend his semi-autobiography 'jack barleycorn' a very interesting account of his alcoholism.

Arthur keostler - darkness at noon. A brilliant novel exploring where the Russian revolution failed in it's objectives.

Milan Kundra - the unbelievable weightness of being. There's a number of his novels I could pick out but I guess this is his most polished.

Leo Tolstoy - Anna karenina, a great Russian novel, the quality of the Russian authors is amazing, this is a fine example.

George Orwel - one of my favourites and a great effort should be made to read his short stories along with his big novels.

Bret Easton Ellis - a writer who shocks with his views of the morally devoid youth of upper middle class America, American psycho being his most famous. A truly shocking book.

I don't read much these days, shocking really, I'd recommend some more bur I'm late for work already

Last edited:
Currently reading The road to Wigan Pier.

Currently reading The road to Wigan Pier.

If you like that, try Jack Londons 'People of the Abyss' He was sent to London to interview someone when it fell through, so he spent a period of time with the down and outs and destitute and wrote up his experiences. At the time (1900) England was the most powerful, and richest nation on the planet, yet the experiences of what a large number of our population lived through were truly shocking.

Nothing wrong with Asterix or Tintin. Nice books although I tend to prefer my graphic novels to be a little grittier - Watchmen, V for Vendetta, Dark Knight, that sort of thing.

Other sci-fi: Peter F Hamilton is quality, if a bit verbose at times.

As an aside, I liked the Stand and bought the special edition with the extra hundred or so pages. It is a great story. IT* was a bit overlong though.

*IT as in the one in Derry with the clown, not relating back to the Stand

If you like that, try Jack Londons 'People of the Abyss' He was sent to London to interview someone when it fell through, so he spent a period of time with the down and outs and destitute and wrote up his experiences. At the time (1900) England was the most powerful, and richest nation on the planet, yet the experiences of what a large number of our population lived through were truly shocking.

Thanks,will do,i've spent most of my life not being much of reader to be honest,i blame the original 'bog standard' Comprehensives,so i decided last year that i wanted to read all the classics,my eldest bought me The road to wigan pier and 1984 for Christmas,i think he thought i wanted cheering up a bit.I read To kill a mocking bird while on holiday in Australia at the end of last year,any other recommendations would be appreciated.

War and Peace by Tolstoy. Block out a year in your diary for that one.
The Count of Monte Cristo by Dumas is fantastic
Bleak House by Dickens - almost ruined by my studying it for A level, but reading it now without all the analysis that English scholars chuck at it is rather refreshing.

Currently reading The Thousand Autumns of Jacob De Zoet by David Mitchell. Absolutely brilliant, as is everything he writes - Cloud Atlas, Ghostwritten, No.9 Dream, Black Swan green - all great.

Another recent fave was Stasiland by Anna Funder. It's several people's personal experiences of life in East Germany under communism and after the fall of the Wall. She speaks to people who tried to escape, people whose lives were destroyed by the Stasi, informers and Stasi opeatives themselves. It reads like fiction and is by turns sad, funny and terrifying.

Also anything by James Ellroy generally hits the spot.

Thanks,will do,i've spent most of my life not being much of reader to be honest,i blame the original 'bog standard' Comprehensives,so i decided last year that i wanted to read all the classics,my eldest bought me The road to wigan pier and 1984 for Christmas,i think he thought i wanted cheering up a bit.I read To kill a mocking bird while on holiday in Australia at the end of last year,any other recommendations would be appreciated.

Ahh the joys of a painful English lesson/Teacher, it was the best part of two decades before I realised that Dickens is a good read.

Steinbeck novels are always very powerful, and an enjoyable read, Grapes of Wrath, Of Mice and Men.

Hemmingway has some very good, nice reads, For Whom the Bell Tolls, and the one where he's based in Italy in WW1, the name escapes me at the moment.

Thomas Hardy, The Mayor of Casterbridge and Jude the Obscure. All good enjoyable reads.

A good collection of Jack London’s short stories, and Henry Williamson’s classics (Tarka the Otter, etc) for a nature lover as myself are good/interesting reads

To be honest you can't go too wrong with the classics, although some can seem quite stuffy compared with modern writings.

I'd stay well clear of War and Peace, I've read a third, but rather than a year I'd recommend you dedicate a month to it and do nothing else - it is very intense and it is easy to loose track of the characters, Russian names and all that aren't the easiest, and if you've not picked it up for a week it is murder to try and get back into it.

There are two fabulous books novelising the life of Henri IV of France by Heinrich Mann - excellent reads both of them.

Interesting point Nimrod. I am a Stephen King fan, and "The Stand" was superb in my opinion. Yes it was long, but King has always been one for detail. I did not think it petered out, but I respect your views.

no problem. it is my opinion and I know a lot of people like it. I think it's a Stephen King thing. cop out ending I thought as well :D

I have a similar view on "american psycho." I have no idea how people can even call it a book. It's like a cross between two magazines, one for how to murder and dismember a body for sexual gartification written as graphically as possible, and the other on high fashion that everyone was wearing during the eighties, with both parts written as tediously as possible. The book does have a shock factor and I appreciate there's meant to be some irony in there but my conclusion was it's both pointless and shit. Didn't Ellis actually write it as a joke to show that anything can get published, or is that an urban myth? I felt the joke was on me for both buying it and reading it anyway.

Some other good stuff:
wind up bird chronicle - murakami
ghostwritten - david mitchell (similar style to murakami) [just seen So Long Architect's post - good man]
something wicked this way comes - ray bradbury (great horror book)
Pretty much anything by Graham Greene

trashcan man was great in the stand, a great character, superbly put over by King. I think Kings attention to detail, and the characters he has is what makes his books. Like Pennywise the clown in "IT"

If you like horror books and classics you can do a lot worse than getting a compilation of Lovecraft or Poe.

I disagree on Ellis, it was a reflection on the vacuous upper middle classes that he has written so many books concerning - devoid of all moral compasses he illustrates how an apparently normal person could operate a double life as a psychotic killer in the society they exist within - well that was my view on it, it could well be a joke, but having read all of his work, it fits in with his style and underlying philosophy.

The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler, written in 2005 it predicts bird/swine flu and the banking collapse amongst other things. If you want to understand the latest Suez canal crisis or why everyone wants to fight over Afganistan then give this a read. Heavy going at times, but it will open your eyes in a rather sobering way.

Back