• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

The Long Emergency by James Howard Kunstler, written in 2005 it predicts bird/swine flu and the banking collapse amongst other things. If you want to understand the latest Suez canal crisis or why everyone wants to fight over Afganistan then give this a read. Heavy going at times, but it will open your eyes in a rather sobering way.

I read a book many many years ago in this vein called "The Third World War" written by a retired NATO general who's name escapes me at the moment.
He predicted the third world war would be fought over Water.
His predictions of millions trying to leave the African continent, due to drought and crop failiure, by way of boats and in the back of lorries, and heading for europe is now fact. A very good, if not a touch disturbing read.

Interesting the amount of fiction in this thread.

I tend to read a lot of factual stuff. I'm big on reading almost anything related to Jack the Ripper I can lay my hands on.

Just finished a super book called Newton & the Counterfeiter by Thomas Levenson. I never knew Newton was warden of the Mint!

Stephen Kings On Writing was the first book of his I read for many years (I kinda felt he got a bit boring/repetitve with insomnia & so on). On Writing is a remarkable book. Loved it. It has made me want to read the dark half and the dead zone, which I own, but never got around to.

I am currently reading The Crimes, Detection & Death of Jack the Ripper by Martin Fido.

I will often sit with my head in a historical text. Got a heavy duty tome on the reformation on the go, that is brilliant, but not exactly a page-turner.

I'd second the recommendation of The Book Thief. A wonderful read and Toon is right that you *will* cry.

Going back to my Hans Fallada recommendation, I'd say it has parallels with The Book Thief, albeit written sixty years earlier.

I also quite like(d) Richard Montanari but his last effort was absolutely dire - characters you couldn't identify with (except the villain) and all the hallmarks of a writer who got bored with the book from the halfway point. It's a shame because his previous efforts with the Byrne and Balzano characters were, IMO, rather good.

Gormenghast by Mervyn Peake... Nearly gave up, but thankfully didnt, a great trilogy, possibly stretched out a bit, but good

Interesting the amount of fiction in this thread.

I tend to read a lot of factual stuff. I'm big on reading almost anything related to Jack the Ripper I can lay my hands on.

Just finished a super book called Newton & the Counterfeiter by Thomas Levenson. I never knew Newton was warden of the Mint!

Stephen Kings On Writing was the first book of his I read for many years (I kinda felt he got a bit boring/repetitve with insomnia & so on). On Writing is a remarkable book. Loved it. It has made me want to read the dark half and the dead zone, which I own, but never got around to.

I am currently reading The Crimes, Detection & Death of Jack the Ripper by Martin Fido.

I know we have discussed this intriguing subject before, but after everything I have read, I really still think Dr Tumblety was the ripper. Nothing concrete, but he just ticks so many of the boxes.

I read a book many many years ago in this vein called "The Third World War" written by a retired NATO general who's name escapes me at the moment.
He predicted the third world war would be fought over Water.
His predictions of millions trying to leave the African continent, due to drought and crop failiure, by way of boats and in the back of lorries, and heading for europe is now fact. A very good, if not a touch disturbing read.

General John Hackett ?

I prefer sporting biographies to fiction.

Prior to the Ashes starting I read Duncan Hamilton's book on Harold Larwood and would certainly recommend it. The way he was treated after the bodyline series was a national disgrace which was only partly rectified many decades later when John Major awarded him an MBE in 1993.

Does anyone use an e-book reader? Such as the Amazon Kindle?

I have recently switched to using the Kindle app on my iPad and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. Not everyone's favourite way to read buy I love having everything in one place (books, newspaper, gaming, internet etc)

Last edited:
The Chronicles of Thomas Covenant by Stephen Donaldson. Superb, some say the idea was taken from The Lord of the Rings, but Donaldson proves himself to be a master of the fantasy novel.

I will often sit with my head in a historical text. Got a heavy duty tome on the reformation on the go, that is brilliant, but not exactly a page-turner.

Citizens, By Simon Schama was like that for me. A good read, but 950 pages. Took an eternity to get through!

I know we have discussed this intriguing subject before, but after everything I have read, I really still think Dr Tumblety was the ripper. Nothing concrete, but he just ticks so many of the boxes.

Good to see you back Frank. If you haven't read it, I recently read The Lodger - the arrest & escape of Jack The Ripper by Stewart Evans & Paul Gainey. It may well add to your suspicions.

I should add that my all time favourite book is still In Cold Blood by Truman Capote. A phenomenal piece of work in my view.

Citizens, By Simon Schama was like that for me. A good read, but 950 pages. Took an eternity to get through!

Good to see you back Frank. If you haven't read it, I recently read The Lodger - the arrest & escape of Jack The Ripper by Stewart Evans & Paul Gainey. It may well add to your suspicions.

I have not read that, but will make sure I get to read it.

Currently reading Pele's autobiography.
Interesting read. In places, a little thin on detail.

At the point where he's just retired. Having scored over 1250 goals, for me he hasn't talked much about them (aside from scored 5 here, 3 there etc).
Comes across as pretty humble mostly.

A fair amount of referencing God & his belief. Which is suprising when 2 thirds of the way through he talks about a few affairs.

One thing which struck me whilst reading it, is how we remember Pele. My instant images are (in no particular order)
His miss from the half way line
Gordon Banks saving his header
The dummy where he leaves the ball, goes 1 side of the keeper then doubles back & just misses

Interesting how these misses appear to be rated as highly significant memories for so many people, above the 1250+ goals...

First goal in the 1970 world cup final
shaking hands and swapping shirts with bobby moore
The brilliant goal in the 1958 world cup final
The header and banks save

The round the keeper and halfway shot were both against uruguay in the 1970 world cup I think.

Does anyone use an e-book reader? Such as the Amazon Kindle?

I have recently switched to using the Kindle app on my iPad and I am thoroughly enjoying the experience. Not everyone's favourite way to read buy I love having everything in one place (books, newspaper, gaming, internet etc)

PPB got a kindle for xmas and she loves it, i must look this up and see how it works.

Currently reading Pele's autobiography.
Interesting read. In places, a little thin on detail.

At the point where he's just retired. Having scored over 1250 goals, for me he hasn't talked much about them (aside from scored 5 here, 3 there etc).
Comes across as pretty humble mostly.

A fair amount of referencing God & his belief. Which is suprising when 2 thirds of the way through he talks about a few affairs.

One thing which struck me whilst reading it, is how we remember Pele. My instant images are (in no particular order)
His miss from the half way line
Gordon Banks saving his header
The dummy where he leaves the ball, goes 1 side of the keeper then doubles back & just misses

Interesting how these misses appear to be rated as highly significant memories for so many people, above the 1250+ goals...

For me it's the Carlos Alberto goal in the '70 world cup final. Receiving the outside edge of area, no panic, no rush, and then, after one almost unnoticeable glance to his right laying off at perfect pace for the oncoming full back to score. He made it look very easy.

For me it's the Carlos Alberto goal in the '70 world cup final. Receiving the outside edge of area, no panic, no rush, and then, after one almost unnoticeable glance to his right laying off at perfect pace for the oncoming full back to score. He made it look very easy.

Have I mentioned that that is my favourite goal of all time?

Have I mentioned that that is my favourite goal of all time?

If someone described it to you, you'd think they were making it up. I'm sure you must have mentioned it and it's worthy of the accolade.

Back