• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

A jolly good read?

Agreed.

It is always good to have intelligent and sensible posters on here...God knows how they let Langdale on...

:bigfinger:

You're banned, arse breath.

:adolf::admin:

Agreed.

It is always good to have intelligent and sensible posters on here...God knows how they let Langdale on...

Thanks for the compliment Toon, although I'm not sure those adjectives apply to me!

Can we abuse Langdale verbally now he is in a position of power??

Thanks for the compliment Toon, although I'm not sure those adjectives apply to me!

Can we abuse Langdale verbally now he is in a position of power??

Absolutely, in fact it's almost compulsory. Besides, he only thinks he's in a position of power, really he's just Jinky's puppet...

I recommend a book called 'Adrenaline' by Jeff Abbott, especially for those who like Lee Child's books. Very gripping thriller, fast paced and action packed.

I recommend a book called 'Adrenaline' by Jeff Abbott, especially for those who like Lee Child's books. Very gripping thriller, fast paced and action packed.

I will have to look that up.

I am currently reading "The Cell" by Stephen King. I bought it about four years ago when I was in Edinburgh but have never got round to reading it until now. Very good.

I recently read Coma by Alex Garland, of the Beach fame. Very quick book to read. Idea is interesting. Could've done with expanding on methinks...

Interesting you're reading The Cell DW. I hadn't read any Stephen King for years, & recently picked up & read his "On Writing" book, which was very informative, and also very matter of fact. I really liked it, & it has made me re-visit King by picking up The Dead Zone.

I generally really like Kings books, but the last 4-5 pages usually ruin it.

Read Alan Sugars autobiography during my stint by a pool in Mexico. It's hard for someone not come across as a arrogant man when you are sitting on a pile of cash. However the book is very good for an insight into football and displaying what a corrupt nobjockey Terry Venables is.

Broken Dreams by Tom Bower is also good for showing what a prick Venables is. I loathe the man. In fact when I am well enough I think I'll write a blog about the cockmuncher.

'When Christ and His Saints Slept' by Sharon Penman

Fiction, based on the chaos of the 'Civil War' in the 1140s.

Brilliant!

I had 9 books for Christmas and am finally ploughing through them!

Read 'One Day' by David Nicholls over the last couple of weeks. Really enjoyed it.

Currently halfway through 'The Snowman' by Jo Nesbo.

Started reading 'Who On Earth is Tom Baker? An autobiography'. The guy is a grade A nutjob, but it's one of the funniest books I've read in ages. I love the guy. Truly avatar-worthy.

Just finished up In The President's Secret Service. Great stuff. Very interesting and very worrying at the same time.

Next I'm reading the Scott Pilgrim books (don't judge me) until The Boys from the Black Country arrives.

Had to go back to page 5 to find this thread. What a bunch of Philistines we are.

Anyway, just finishing Ian Sinclair's London Orbital, the story of his walk around the M25. (Not actually on the motorway, but through the villages, towns, shopping malls etc nearby.)

Some fascinating stuff. Frinstance: the sleepy Middlesex village of Heathrow was bulldozed to make way for the airport under completely false pretences. The then government claimed it was going to be a military airport, needed for long range bombing missions to the Far East. This, though, was bollocks cooked up to circumvent planning regulations. It was always intended to be a civil airport but they knew they'd never get that through, so by claiming it was for military use, they could essentially do whatever they wanted. And they had the arrogance to document all these shenanigans as well.

And, apparently, London is ringed by mental asylums from the Victorian era. Now mostly knocked down to build more profitable housing estates, with patients' records hastily burnt in skips. Not surprising really, as one treatment was to put an unknowing naked patient into a sealed room and then release swamp mosquitos, who would bite said patient until infected with malaria. This was thought to cure such conditions as schizophrenia. 3 out of 10 patients died afterwards. This was going on until the '60s.

Had to go back to page 5 to find this thread. What a bunch of Philistines we are.

Anyway, just finishing Ian Sinclair's London Orbital, the story of his walk around the M25. (Not actually on the motorway, but through the villages, towns, shopping malls etc nearby.)

Some fascinating stuff. Frinstance: the sleepy Middlesex village of Heathrow was bulldozed to make way for the airport under completely false pretences. The then government claimed it was going to be a military airport, needed for long range bombing missions to the Far East. This, though, was bollocks cooked up to circumvent planning regulations. It was always intended to be a civil airport but they knew they'd never get that through, so by claiming it was for military use, they could essentially do whatever they wanted. And they had the arrogance to document all these shenanigans as well.

And, apparently, London is ringed by mental asylums from the Victorian era. Now mostly knocked down to build more profitable housing estates, with patients' records hastily burnt in skips. Not surprising really, as one treatment was to put an unknowing naked patient into a sealed room and then release swamp mosquitos, who would bite said patient until infected with malaria. This was thought to cure such conditions as schizophrenia. 3 out of 10 patients died afterwards. This was going on until the '60s.

Maybe cos we're too busy reading to post about it?

Anyway, good call.

I'm currently reading this:
the-upside-of-irrationality.jpg

It is a great book, challenging a lot of assumptions, and is very topical in relation to issues like bankers bonuses...

During my winter hibernation i read Hunter S Thompson's Fear and Loathin in Las Vegas, and frankly i'm not sure what to make of it.
I enjoyed it, but truthfully have no idea why.

At certain points i wondered if i should be stoned to read it, although i don't partake.
At other times i backtracked trying to decide if it was meant to be more of a "documentary" dare i say it.
Is this the american Tom Sharpe i wondered, but on acid? or the zany and quite mad Spike Milligan.

Or did i simply not get it.

I have it close at hand and will certainly read it again, in the hope, that like "Catch 22" it all becomes clearer second time around.

So if any of you have read it, I would be very interested to read your critique.

Back