• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

AFC Bournemouth (H) Build Up and Matchday Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I dunno, I think "pinning quotes on the wall" is a bit 80s, and besides which everyone's just calling them cheating bastards rather than outright shit. Other than the shit players they bought for massive money then sold for a loss or gave away for free.

I don't think it's a coincidence that VAR came in and they have struggled. They used to get silly amounts of pens, look at the two they got against us last season FFS, both an absolute joke.

I agree with every word, I just think sometimes this kind of stuff can bite you on the arse. Anything said now could be said on Thursday

I don't buy into the not ready for it argument. It's one that used to get pushed out about promotion from the Championship, It's not something you can pick and choose.

I predict City's ban will be reduced to 1 season we're miles behind them and Liverpool so that's 2 spaces gone, Chelsea will be a lot stronger next year with the signings they have already made, Utd likely to be better as well. The North London clubs particularly Spurs probably won't be as poor again. Obviously we don't know what improvement we have in us, but I certainly wouldn't assume we can and will finish higher next season.

Unfortunate choice of words perhaps; let me clarify. I don't think this squad is good enough to compete with the calibre of the sides you rightly say we are behind, and I would prefer us to be so if and when we do qualify because I don't want Wolves perceived as also rans in any competition. I'd be delighted if we could both qualify and strengthen sufficiently, and perhaps we could, but I'm not convinced we could do that in this weird window and in the time available. I'm not assuming anything about next season, but I certainly do believe we have the resources as a club to improve to top 4 level before too long. I'm not picking and choosing either; if I could choose I'd have us winning every game we play. But I'm also happy to wait for Fosun's plan to mature if that's what it takes.

What a brilliant discussion to be having, by the way. Still feels surreal.

We’ve beaten the favourite twice, could have easily got something from runaway PL leaders and current holders. We’re favourites to progress past Olimpiacos who finished 3rd in their group. Not sure what more of a barometer you need to see we wouldn’t be embarrassing ourselves.

Also, as has been said previously, Champions League football opens up the quality of player we can attract. The better the players, the more chance of retaining our league position in future seasons. It is how Man City got to where they are now only we are ahead of Fosun's timescale so all the better

We've played last year's CL winners twice this season and should have got something twice, we've beaten Man City at home and away, we beat last year's CL finalists at their place and were fucking robbed by them at home. I think we're more than ready for the CL.

And we'll do Bournemouth.

Looks like a warm one on Wednesday, apparently it’ll feel like 34 degrees at kick off! Might be worth saving Traore to bring on after an hour again, imagine being a defender in 30 degree heat and him coming off the bench to run at you.

Also, as has been said previously, Champions League football opens up the quality of player we can attract. The better the players, the more chance of retaining our league position in future seasons. It is how Man City got to where they are now only we are ahead of Fosun's timescale so all the better

Yes, good point. IIRC it took MC a good few seasons to progress regularly to the KO stages. Perhaps I should have put my money on a top 4 finish rather than top 6 :). I do still agree with what DW (who knows a lot more than I do) said in the Race for 4th thread:

[. . .] was it possible that we'd make the top four, yes. Probable, not at all. We aren't that good (we'd also more than likely fail to get through the group stage with the current squad).

but it would certainly be interesting to find out, if the cards do happen to fall that way.

Aye, I'd rather find out than die wondering (we'd make a load of money just from the group stages regardless anyway).

I don't think we're quite there yet though. We're a Europa League team and a damn good one.

For anybody unsure on Eddie Frauds fraudiness..

In signing Danjuma (£16m), Solanke (£20m), Ibe (£16m), Mousset (£6m), Afobe (£12m), Gradel (£9m) & Grabban (£8.5m), #afcb have spent more than £87.5m on attacking players since promotion to the Premier League (2015).

Their combined return is 287 PL apps, 17 goals and 18 assists.
That's shocking. He wasn't even a success but if you take out Afobe from that there is only 7 goals and 15 assists between them!

More like Eddie "Howe does he have a job", amirite

Are we ready for the CL? Who knows? There's only one way to find out.
Things never happen "when you're ready for them."
Relationships, babies, Champions League - they turn up when they turn up
Start Adama, beat the shit out of Bournemouth and on to Villa

We got promoted to the PL a year ahead of scedule & probably weren't expecting a European journey after one year & we have seemed to have survived OK.

If we get CL then we will have a go at it - we are good enough not to get humiliated even if we don't get that far the first time around. As said our profile improves & helps with recruitment (& income)

We got promoted to the PL a year ahead of scedule & probably weren't expecting a European journey after one year & we have seemed to have survived OK.

If we get CL then we will have a go at it - we are good enough not to get humiliated even if we don't get that far the first time around. As said our profile improves & helps with recruitment (& income)
I reckon that was just the publicly announced scheduled. I'd have fully expected Fosun's plan A to be promotion straightaway.

On Now TV? Probably a tenner to get the two BT matches tomorrow night as a package if BT play that game. Sky pass on Now for tonight's two is £9.99

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back