• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Afobe for England

Kenny

🤨
Staff member
Reaction score
Named in the provisional squad for the U21's. The 27 will become 23 for the Tournament

Goalkeepers
Marcus Bettinelli (Fulham), Jonathan Bond (Watford), Jack Butland (Stoke City)
Defenders
Calum Chambers (Arsenal), Eric Dier (Tottenham Hotspur), Luke Garbutt (Everton), Ben Gibson (Middlesbrough), Carl Jenkinson (Arsenal, on loan at West Ham United), Michael Keane (Burnley), Liam Moore (Leicester City), John Stones (Everton), Matt Targett (Southampton)
Midfielders
Tom Carroll (Tottenham Hotspur, on loan at Swansea City), Nathaniel Chalobah (Chelsea), Will Hughes (Derby County), Jake Forster-Caskey (Brighton & Hove Albion), Jesse Lingard (Manchester United), Ruben Loftus-Cheek (Chelsea), Alex Pritchard (Tottenham Hotspur), Nathan Redmond (Norwich City), James Ward-Prowse (Southampton)
Forwards
Benik Afobe (Wolverhampton Wanderers), Patrick Bamford (Chelsea, on loan at Middlesbrough), Saido Berahino (West Bromwich Albion), Harry Kane (Tottenham Hotspur), Danny Ings (Burnley), Cauley Woodrow (Fulham)

Be a good experience for him to go but wouldn't have thought he'll actually get much time on the pitch as 5th choice forward.

Looks like he's nabbed Wilson's spot then. No doubt that he should be going.

Barkley, Ox and Sterling have managed to get out of it though which is disappointing.

Last edited:
No Shaw either. Still a decent squad mind you which is promising. If it's betwee Afobe and Woodrow it really is no contest.

That's a pretty good set of strikers to be taking.

I agree with Nando that it's disappointing that some of the higher profile players aren't going, I would have liked us to send our strongest possible squad.

I can see 2 strikers being omitted from the list.

That's a pretty good set of strikers to be taking.

I agree with Nando that it's disappointing that some of the higher profile players aren't going, I would have liked us to send our strongest possible squad.

Absolutely formidable strikeforce there.

England should really be a World class side in the next 4 to 5 years, there's a lot of top class talent emerging in this age group

I can see 2 strikers being omitted from the list.

Me too. It'll be a straight scrap between him and Bamford for the final place. Benik should be on the plane but I can see them preferring Bamford.

Even if he doesn't make the squad I think it will be a great experience for him. Well done Benik.

I can't see them preferring Woodrow over Afobe given their goalscoring records over the last 12 months.

The only way I think he'd go ahead of him is that this would be Afobe's last tournament and he might prefer the 5th choice striker (if there is one) to be someone he can give experience to for the future.

Missed out on final 23 only 3 strikers going.

Three strikers are berahino, Kane and ings.

Kane, Inqs and Berahino?

Hmm, ninja'd.

Yep no Bamford looking at unless he's injured.

No doubt Bamford will be first reserve as well he was always going to pick the three that played in the PL this season.

Gareth Southgate said:
Southgate felt it necessary to explain Afobe's omission, saying: " We felt we wanted to acknowledge the season that he’s had.

"Benik had been in the England system at younger age groups and had a really good season. If we had any problems, then I wouldn’t hesitate to call him in.

"He’s been really enthusiastic about potential involvement and I’ve been very impressed.

"But it’s always a difficult conversation to have because you’d like to give everybody the opportunity, but you’re not able to do that."

Source

Back