• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Are we missing Dangerous Dave ?

Edwards wasn't playing as a 10 when he got injured, he was playing as an orthodox central midfielder and he was poor. No-one who has come in has been any better, Price wasn't very good vs Preston, Saville was worse, Rowe has no business playing at this level, but we haven't lost anything. Edwards must have played well over 100 games for us as a central midfielder and I doubt he's played well in five of them.

As a 10, well he wasn't scoring (virtually a third of a season without a goal) and he doesn't create, he might average about 2 assists a season. So no loss there either.

Ineffectual chasing around in either position adds nothing beyond it looking a bit better to the fans, and if he isn't scoring then that is all he offers I'm afraid.

Edwards wasn't playing as a 10 when he got injured, he was playing as an orthodox central midfielder and he was poor. No-one who has come in has been any better, Price wasn't very good vs Preston, Saville was worse, Rowe has no business playing at this level, but we haven't lost anything. Edwards must have played well over 100 games for us as a central midfielder and I doubt he's played well in five of them.

As a 10, well he wasn't scoring (virtually a third of a season without a goal) and he doesn't create, he might average about 2 assists a season. So no loss there either.

Ineffectual chasing around in either position adds nothing beyond it looking a bit better to the fans, and if he isn't scoring then that is all he offers I'm afraid.

We are missing Edwards like missing toothache. Not his fault, but he should never be in a starting 11. But always worth a place on the bench for his late darting runs into the box. My perception is that we rarely win a game when he starts it.

He was pretty much a guaranteed starter every week before his injury. Of course he started in some of our wins.

Edwards has started in 8 of 10 defeats he has been available for.

Wales were crap for 2 years until Coleman reintegrated Dave into the squad.

Now? 8th best team in the world.

:ursofunny: :fished:

You would hope the club had progressed to a point that they waved him off and said thanks. An amicable separation. I like Dave and he did well in the new system. I was worried when he got injured and that looks a justified worry. We really need to move on next season and start playing some quality football again. Dave is useful from the bench but somewhat limited in the style of play most of us would like to see.

Of course you need a mix in the team..edwards has offered a lot of workrate, running off the ball, some goals..you get far with a big heart i guess..but you have to mix it up with creativity, tactical knowledge and playing together as a team..the back four should be played together most games for me if possible, for talking and understanding how the other defenders play in different situations

His absence means we are getting an overdose of Doherty hatin'....

I feel like the OP that we miss his pressing and his nuisance factor.
We are far too easy to play against in his absence.

IMO with Edwards out we've now got Mason & Saville in the first team who work just as hard (and for longer, what with them being younger and physically fitter than Eddo).

IMO with Edwards out we've now got Mason & Saville in the first team who work just as hard (and for longer, what with them being younger and physically fitter than Eddo).

Potentially, but not as effective.

Edwards' pressing is wholly ineffective, he just chases opposition players around. Hardly ever wins or intercepts the ball.

I'm not sure Edwards 'pressing' is ever that effective. He gets pulled out of position and it's never a collective effort. He kind of goes off and does his own thing, rather than attempting to get players to go with him.

As a squad player he is fine - it wasn't too bad second half of last season where he made cameo appearances or came in against weaker opposition alongside McDonald even. But for him to be seen as a star player and regular starter is plain ridiculous

Back