• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Arsenal (A) 29/11 Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
We're football fans, why should we expect us to choose between performance and results? I'm greedy, I want both, obviously thats not always going to happen, thats what makes football interesting and exciting. Anyway, if our performances improve, the results will follow.
Since Nuno mentioned at the end of last season about changing our style a little, I've expected this season to be a transitional one so both performances and results will fluctuate. Overall I'm fairly happy so far, we've seen flashes of what we are trying to/can achieve. Last game was very encouraging imo, while we certainly didn't boss the whole game, we finished strongly and had more shots and on target shots than I can remember for a couple of seasons.....COYW
Agree with you, you want performance and result in an ideal world, not gonna happen that often though.. When Podence played as a nr 10 and we turned our tables a bit we totally switched the run of play and started to dominate and threaten a lot..wish we could do a bit more of that but understand away to Arsenal that could be hard..will be an exciting game to watch nevertheless

If the reasons are that we are changing style and bedding in new players then you'd expect to start seeing improvements in performances along the way.
Fully agree.

We're coming up to 10 games today, compared to many teams we've had it easy with injuries, no European games, and any disruption in terms of player sales and style changes have been of our own choosing, so I'd hope to start seeing a more cohesive and convincing face to this new phase

SUNDAY 29TH NOVEMBER 2020
Southampton 14:00 Manchester United
Chelsea 16:30 Tottenham Hotspur
Arsenal 19:15 Wolverhampton Wanderers

Quick quiz (no cash prizes)
The Chelsea Spurs game should finish roughly an hour before our kick off, how many minutes before 7pm do you think before Sky start talking about us ??

The Chelsea Spurs game should finish roughly an hour before our kick off, how many minutes before 7pm do you think before Sky start talking about us ??
Dunno, don't care, never listen to all that inane twaddle before a game, just turn it on when the match is just about to start.
sorry to be so negative on your post

I'm going 7:03

We have only played well very sporadically this season, where did I say Nuno and the players are actively choosing to do this ?

If the reasons are that we are changing style and bedding in new players then you'd expect to start seeing improvements in performances along the way.
Agree on your first point. We haven't got going consistently yet, but I have seen some improvements (though sporadic as you say) where you can what we are trying to achieve.

Bedding in new players sure will affect it but the fact we had 21 days between our last game in europe and the Sheffield United game, which also included players going on international duty, is still the biggest factor IMO.

I think we have to be patient personally (which I think people generally are minus weird comments involving Barry Douglas :D), as I think our second half of the season will be a lot stronger performance wise. What we have done well so far is keep up points wise.

Agree on your first point. We haven't got going consistently yet, but I have seen some improvements (though sporadic as you say) where you can what we are trying to achieve.

Bedding in new players sure will affect it but the fact we had 21 days between our last game in europe and the Sheffield United game, which also included players going on international duty, is still the biggest factor IMO.

I think we have to be patient personally (which I think people generally are minus weird comments involving Barry Douglas :D), as I think our second half of the season will be a lot stronger performance wise. What we have done well so far is keep up points wise.
Think the Barry Douglas thing has (once again) been blown out of proportion.

Barry Douglas can cross a ball well and can defend. That’s all I was getting at when I said you could have put him in the side the last game or two and had a similar level performance.

Do I think RAN will be a better player and perform to a better level in time - yes, obviously! My next comment literally said that we need to be patient 😂🤷‍♂️

I agree with everything else you’ve said above.

Barry Douglas can cross a ball well and can defend.
50% of this statement is true.

Although Baz actually contributed next to nothing from open play after a while, it was all set pieces.

Think the Barry Douglas thing has (once again) been blown out of proportion.

Barry Douglas can cross a ball well and can defend. That’s all I was getting at when I said you could have put him in the side the last game or two and had a similar level performance.

Do I think RAN will be a better player and perform to a better level in time - yes, obviously! My next comment literally said that we need to be patient 😂🤷‍♂️

I agree with everything else you’ve said above.
Was a joke mate BUT as you replied I disagree massively anyway.

Ait-Nouri is a better player than him already let alone 'will be a better player'!

And I LOVED Barry but Dan is right really.

Baz was like a championship Beckham, magnificent left foot but that was it. I still don’t think we have replaced his set-piece ability - genuinely the best I’ve ever seen at Wolves I think.

think we will be back to 3-4-3. At Molineux they sat off us, didn't allow much space (and we missed chances in key moments frustratingly) and we didn't break them down all that well in general. Think this will be a different game where there is a lot of pressure on them to create at the moment, hopefully we can make the most of that and frustrate them.

I'd go

Rui
Boly Coady Kilman
Semedo Moutinho Donck RAN
Traore Raul Neto
Yes, same team for me

Dailymail (I know, sorry) seem to think we have worked on a back four all week and that Nuno has been considering it.

Might explain why there was no training video this week, I really enjoy them :D

It'd certainly be interesting if Nuno now considers it as a way to be more attacking and a goal threat. The stats certainly bear that out against Southampton. The question mark is the two CBs and whether they will be up to it long term.

If we go 4 at the back more often, who are the 2 CB's? although Coady did ok for England in a 2, not sure if he has the attributes long term but feel we need his organizing/vocals. Also imo Kilman had been at least as good as Boly recently ( cowers under table). Certainly makes things interesting.

If we go 4 at the back more often, who are the 2 CB's? although Coady did ok for England in a 2, not sure if he has the attributes long term but feel we need his organizing/vocals. Also imo Kilman had been at least as good as Boly recently ( cowers under table). Certainly makes things interesting.
Especially as we bought wing backs not full backs in the summer.

It'd certainly be interesting if Nuno now considers it as a way to be more attacking and a goal threat.
I'm not sure it's something I'd be trying out away at the Emirates before we'd done a bit more work on it.

But 'fortune favours the brave' and all that, and Arsenal are hardly prolific on front of goal themselves right now

Both played more regularly in a back four for Barca and Angers.
Didn't Semedo get some stick at Barca playing at RB and the feeling was he'd be better suited as WB with less defensive pressure on him?

Didn't Semedo get some stick at Barca playing at RB and the feeling was he'd be better suited as WB with less defensive pressure on him?
A really tough role to play when you're expected to play high and are then offered no support defensively.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back