• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (A) 6/3/21 Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Traore especially has benefitted when podence has played as the ten for this reason also I think.
I would rather have a midfielder that can link play and defend effectively (a MGW type), rather than a 10 who can only do one aspect (a podence type) personally - we’d get a bit more defensively and a bit less offensivley, but that’s how I’d set up if I were Nuno.

I don't think Silva is ready for a full 90 but deserves a chance. Jose will give us something to play off
He drops in and lays it off a couple of time but what else does he really offer, you don't see him winning a great deal in the air and he's not going to score. I really don't think his hold up play is that good at all.

There is one thing that a striker needs, and that is service and we don't do that. If you go back to the Bully years, he had good service, and Bully will tell you that himself. I haven't yet seen WJ have anything to give him a chance to have a strike on goal.

If he wasn't the world champion at hide and seek then maybe he'd get more chances.

He is shit.

He drops in and lays it off a couple of time but what else does he really offer, you don't see him winning a great deal in the air and he's not going to score. I really don't think his hold up play is that good at all.
I don't disagree, would you play Silva instead?

Jose is a disappointment, but I'd probably still start him and then hook him at some point for Fab. I think it's doing the young lad more good coming on than shouldering the burden himself. We can just increase the amount of game time he gets as the season draws to a close

Jose is a disappointment, but I'd probably still start him and then hook him at some point for Fab. I think it's doing the young lad more good coming on than shouldering the burden himself. We can just increase the amount of game time he gets as the season draws to a close
If we must play either of them then that’s my preference too.

Jose and Fabio are both crap, really.

Paper, scissors, stone?

Bit harsh mate? Fair enough, Jose looks like he's going through the motions to me and I doubt we'll see him in a Wolves shirt after May, but Fab has energy and a good talent base to work on.

I still don't want him fully in the spotlight next season, but he'll come on between now and then with a rest and a pre-season behind him, I'm (fairly) convinced of it

Jose looks like he's going through the motions to me and I doubt we'll see him in a Wolves shirt after May, but Fab has energy and a good talent base to work on.
I still stand by my view we don't fully play to his strengths*. The club knew what they were signing, so they can't be expecting him to do a Raul and cover wings and make runs into the wide space. Everything he does is going to be central, whether on the half way line or in the area. His movement in the area is good. We won't sign him though

* or he is shit and I just like sticking up for players these days

Last edited:
Bit harsh mate? Fair enough, Jose looks like he's going through the motions to me and I doubt we'll see him in a Wolves shirt after May, but Fab has energy and a good talent base to work on.

I still don't want him fully in the spotlight next season, but he'll come on between now and then with a rest and a pre-season behind him, I'm (fairly) convinced of it
Yes, but right now he cannot hold the ball up, and his pace is 2 places behind a snail. Those 2 things are what makes the difference in a centre forward. And yes i know he's only 18, but we don't need a couda,woulda shoulda player right now.

I still stand by my view we don't fully play to his strengths*. The club knew what they were signing, so they can't be expecting him to do a Raul and cover wings and make runs into the wide space. Everything he does is going to be central, whether on the half way line or in the area. His movement in the area is good. We won't sign him though

* or he is shit, and I just like sticking up for players these days
I guess real sociedad got more players round him than we do

Sat in a hotel room with fuck all to do with pregnant wife at home. No goals and his teammates don't pass to him in decent situations. Yes his movement and work rate are poor, but there are mitigating circumstances. We shouldn't sign him, but I do have some sympathy

Shef U 1 - 0 Aston Villa
We will put them back on winning ways Saturday

I really dont know whoever you put out which will change the mentality of our players..cant be all instructions from Nuno either. They look afraid to play with joy and to attack, just afraid to lose another game..is it possible we can play a 4-4-2 like burnley, maybe they will feed eachother(Jose and Fabio). Question will be which two players in the middle of the park..

Rui
Semedo-Boly-Coady-Jonny
Neto-Neves-Vitinha-Traore
José-Silva

The longer this season drags on, the more apparent it is becoming that we are not the only team struggling for form (and that this is ultimately related to the pandemic). Almost every team (including Citeh) have had a bad stretch. Liverpool struggle, Man U three consecutive 0-0s, Chelsea, Spurs, Arsenal, have all had bad runs. Even the over-performing teams (Villa, Hammers) throw up absolute stinkers every now and then. Our injuries and desire to change style just make it more pronounced.

No doubt at all that we can beat Villa. Being 1-1 with Citeh after 80 mins should inspire us more than the end result deflates us. We will look crap for large parts of the game (so will Villa), and perhaps it will come down to a stroke of luck. When we were losing every game it always felt like an opposing shot would take a deflection into the net, recently they have hit the woodwork instead, or goals have been disallowed for offside.

Boly (if fit) for Donk, either Silva or Jose instead of Hoever, otherwise the same team as last game. (Now just watch Nuno throw another curveball.)

A lot of the problems this season have been caused by the virus and the fact that we have ben playing nonstop since June 2019. Nothing can be taken from this season, however should we have a break and come back playing the same dross next season then questions must be asked. It does not matter what system we play wether it be 4 or 3 at the back we must become more attack minded. We seem to play 3.4....................3 or 4.3................3 there must be some change in mindset either players or coach. Against Villa we might as well play the same side as against Newcastle as it appears RAN, MGW and Vitinho are never in the plans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back