• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (H) 8/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Certainly don't think the switch to three at the back is the answer to all our prayers all the time but I'd stick with it here. I know we shouldn't be in this situation but we're going to have to mitigate against Diaby running at Kilman/Dawson and Watkins getting in behind either as much as possible. Doyle back on the bench to give us an option to freshen it up if required. They are playing in Europe on Thursday but only a home game that they should easily win, so shouldn't be too much of a factor.

They're a good team under Emery but I don't think either of their full backs are that good defensively and you can get at T'Pau who is excellent on the ball but definitely a bit slow and timid at times.

They generally don't turn up here, only one win at Molineux in the last decade, a last minute robbery behind closed doors. So another fervent atmosphere please.

------------------------------Sa-----------------------------

---------------Kilman-----Dawson----Toti-----------------

Semedo------------Lemina-------J Gomes------Ait-Nouri

---------------Neto------Cunha------Hwang-----------------

2022/23: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2021/22: W 2-1 (H), W 3-2 (A)
2020/21: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 2-1 (H), W 1-0 (A), L 1-2 (A, LC)
2017/18: W 2-0 (H), L 1-4 (A)
2016/17: W 1-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2011/12: L 2-3 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2010/11: L 1-2 (H), W 1-0 (A)
2009/10: D 1-1 (H), D 2-2 (A)
2003/04: L 0-4 (H), L 2-3 (A)
1995/96: L 0-1 (A, LC)

In the win at ours last season Semedo tucked in and Matheus dropped back to make it a 3-5-2 out of possession which seemed to work really well, completely shut down their left hand side.

Certainly don't think the switch to three at the back is the answer to all our prayers all the time but I'd stick with it here. I know we shouldn't be in this situation but we're going to have to mitigate against Diaby running at Kilman/Dawson and Watkins getting in behind either as much as possible. Doyle back on the bench to give us an option to freshen it up if required. They are playing in Europe on Thursday but only a home game that they should easily win, so shouldn't be too much of a factor.

They're a good team under Emery but I don't think either of their full backs are that good defensively and you can get at T'Pau who is excellent on the ball but definitely a bit slow and timid at times.

They generally don't turn up here, only one win at Molineux in the last decade, a last minute robbery behind closed doors. So another fervent atmosphere please.

Why the fuck don't you have Steve Madeley's job

Yep. Team picks itself but they have to back it up. I'd tell Dawson to stick to Watkins like he did with Haaland yesterday.

Yep. Team picks itself but they have to back it up. I'd tell Dawson to stick to Watkins like he did with Haaland yesterday.
Different player, different team. That tactic won't work all the time.

It's definitely beneficial to him to limit the amount of space he has to defend by putting him in the middle of a 3 though.

Fancy us against these. The one thing they struggle against at the back is pace, we have that in abundance. Plus they generally shit the bed when they see the mighty old gold these days.

Dawson is superb at defending the box, probably one of the best defenders in the league at that.

Villa play differently, they use Watkins pace in behind, I wouldn't fancy Dawson one on one with Watkins.

Fancy us against these. The one thing they struggle against at the back is pace, we have that in abundance. Plus they generally shit the bed when they see the mighty old gold these days.
Villa play an extremely high line too to press the midfield, that may mean we get in behind with our pace.

Dawson is superb at defending the box, probably one of the best defenders in the league at that.

Villa play differently, they use Watkins pace in behind, I wouldn't fancy Dawson one on one with Watkins.
I didn't fancy him one on one v Haaland either.

I didn't fancy him one on one v Haaland either.
Of course not, but us defending our box with balls coming in and him having the rough and tumble with Haaland is entirely different to how it will be with Watkins.

A game for Cunha and Neto.

They play a really high line and Cunha skipped through their lines a few times last year at Molineux unfortunately he had Diego Costa* towing a caravan trying to keep up.

You'd hope with a much more mobile front line that should yield some results if they rock up with the same line.

*as willing as he was.

Emery got criticised for his team selection in the last European game, so he's likely to pick a stronger team on Thursday. They have a deep squad in certain positions but nevertheless they will be playing us either with players coming off a 2 and half day rest or their squad guys

Emery got criticised for his team selection in the last European game, so he's likely to pick a stronger team on Thursday. They have a deep squad in certain positions but nevertheless they will be playing us either with players coming off a 2 and half day rest or their squad guys
Nah we beat City less than 3 days after winning in Istanbul.

Would expect them to be able to put out a largely reserve team on Thursday and win. A Bosnian team who've never played in the main stages of Europe before at Villa Park is a lot different to Legia Warsaw away (agreed that Emery probably took that one too lightly but he shouldn't make that influence his future decisions).

Villa are as in good a place as they’ve been in a long time certainly at the best level probably since we played them in the 09/10 season.
Don’t get me wrong as a club I despise their arrogance and self entitlement but they’ve now got a very good side with manager to match.

I didn't want to piss on anyone's chips in the verdict thread, but it's only three years ago that Norwich beat City 3-2 and finished 20th. Sunday's game might tell us whether last week's brilliance was (literally) the shape of things to come or a flash in the pan. We certainly have the players for 3 at the back now, and decent options off the bench. It worked well for long enough under Nuno (albeit with a rather more skilful midfield for much of the time), and I'm hoping to see it more often under O'Neil.

I didn't want to piss on anyone's chips in the verdict thread, but it's only three years ago that Norwich beat City 3-2 and finished 20th. Sunday's game might tell us whether last week's brilliance was (literally) the shape of things to come or a flash in the pan. We certainly have the players for 3 at the back now, and decent options off the bench. It worked well for long enough under Nuno (albeit with a rather more skilful midfield for much of the time), and I'm hoping to see it more often under O'Neil.

I think we’re pound for pound a lot better than the Norwich side of 2019/20. City were in flux that year to coming miles behind Liverpool in the end.

Don't think anyone is getting giddy and marking us down for definite safety after Saturday, it's just a superb result but more importantly encouraging that O'Neil didn't repeat the tactical errors that have already cost us points since he arrived.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back