• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Aston Villa (H) 8/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just one thing on Sa . He gets an awful lot of stick here at times for some of his blunders , and yes there have been some beauties .

However , how good is the standard of goalkeeping in the Premier League .

Who , for instance , in the opinion of people here are the top 5 keepers in the Premier League - in no particular order ?

I've seen lots of keepers play poorly over the years . It's hard to find a consistently good keeper week in week out . Alisson is probably the best of them given that he has more work to do , with the Liverpool defenders not being as good as other top sides , but even he has slipped up , gifting a goal to Guedes last season .

Maybe it's just a case of it being difficult to keep the concentration levels at a high pitch for the entire 90+ minutes , plus the fact that a mistake by a midfielder or forward gets less attention as the error can be recovered by a team mate . When a keeper makes a big error it can very often result in a goal being conceded , and no one forgets then .

Referee: Rob Jones. Assistants: Ian Hussin, Wade Smith. Fourth official: Paul Tierney. VAR: David Coote. Assistant VAR: Tim Wood.

Things pretty tight in the table between 10th and 15th (us)... Good chance to leap up a few places if we got the win on Sunday...

Just one thing on Sa . He gets an awful lot of stick here at times for some of his blunders , and yes there have been some beauties .

However , how good is the standard of goalkeeping in the Premier League .

Who , for instance , in the opinion of people here are the top 5 keepers in the Premier League - in no particular order ?

I've seen lots of keepers play poorly over the years . It's hard to find a consistently good keeper week in week out . Alisson is probably the best of them given that he has more work to do , with the Liverpool defenders not being as good as other top sides , but even he has slipped up , gifting a goal to Guedes last season .

Maybe it's just a case of it being difficult to keep the concentration levels at a high pitch for the entire 90+ minutes , plus the fact that a mistake by a midfielder or forward gets less attention as the error can be recovered by a team mate . When a keeper makes a big error it can very often result in a goal being conceded , and no one forgets then .
Allison
Ederson
Raya
Pope
Martinez?

After that I am struggling

Allison
Ederson
Raya
Pope
Martinez?

After that I am struggling
That's the point isn't it . Outside of the top say 4 it's hard to pin point a good keeper that's rock solid .

Ederson to be fair often gets an armchair ride considering the level of possession his team constantly has . I'd be looking at keepers who are under far more pressure due to a leaky defence , which is why I plumped for Alisson .

Martinez , yes , not a terribly likeable chap , but he's solid more often than not .

Things pretty tight in the table between 10th and 15th (us)... Good chance to leap up a few places if we got the win on Sunday...
It certainly would be nice , even if only for a short while , to be clear of the relegation area for a 3 or 4 weeks .

More importantly , the likes of Brentford , Fulham and Bournemouth are now firmly down in that area of the table as well . The more teams that get dragged in the better .

A win over Villa would be huge . City was just one game though - I'd be wary of drawing too many conclusions too quickly .

I don't think there's a single goalkeeper that hasn't had a rush of blood to the head every now and again . Look at Onana last night , and he didn't seem overly bothered either afterwards .

It's all about looking for the keeper that makes the fewest of these .

Sa looked more secure on Saturday because we rarely played out from the back. He was still giving the ball straight back to the opposition most of the time, but for a throw midway in their own half.

Onana is a product of Utd over thinking it, DDG only looked poor last season because of the way the manager wanted to play, but was still by and large a good shot stopper. They are worse off now

How keepers play has changed massively over the past 5-10 years, now being expected to be playmakers in their own right.

It’s very rare you get an old fashioned keeper nowadays, who can’t play out from the back, or being totally inept at it. Pope being a prime example. So naturally, building play from the back leads to more errors.

Look at United, replacing DDG for Onana, because he supposedly can play out from the back better. I’m very much in the camp of I want my keeper to keep the ball out the net first and foremost.

With Sa, most of his mistakes come from a rush of blood or just shit decision making. The worry is, you’d have hoped as he’s gotten older he would cut them out abit more. Seems to be the opposite

Even Ederson looked a bit ropey now and again his first couple of seasons as he tried to play it out himself constantly. He's stopped doing it now though.

Ederson barely saves anything but he only faces 2-3 shots a game so it kinda goes unnoticed

Ederson barely saves anything but he only faces 2-3 shots a game so it kinda goes unnoticed
Correct , stick him in goal for Sheffield Utd. for a few weeks and lets see how he gets on .

The point about the changing skills that a goalkeeper now needs to have is very relevant . For as many years as I can recall a goalkeeper nearly always had to be tall to make it to the top . However , goalkeepers by nature would never make it as an outfield player as they wouldn't have the skill set - now however they're asked to play it out from the back time and time again and a lot of them struggle with that .
The high press is another issue . No team ever pressed high years ago , so goalkeepers could fiddle around with the ball at the feet without consequence - not any more they can't .

You'd wonder if smaller goalkeepers will ever get a look in , given that they might have much better ball skills at their feet .

Sorry but you can't write off Sa passing the ball straight to opponents 20 yards out (as he has done dozens of times in his Wolves career) like that. Plus that isn't the only problem, he's spilled several terrible goals in with handling errors and is close to the top of the all-time PL charts for keepers conceding penalties.

When he's focused he's a pretty good keeper (he has had plenty of good games for us), however he lets his mind wander far too often and it costs us.

Play like he did on Saturday and indeed against Villa at home last season and there isn't a problem.

Correct , stick him in goal for Sheffield Utd. for a few weeks and lets see how he gets on .
Such a facile argument, up there with I'd like to see Pep manage in the Championship and see how he'd do there. The reason he's at City rather than Sheff U is because he's elite, not through some fluke of luck

Diaby, Kamara and Ramsey all out tomorrow for Villa and Bailey is doubtful too. Helpful if they're all missing on Sunday.

Good news. Take away Diaby and Kamara and they are no better than anything we've faced from them over the last couple of years.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back