• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Baseball thread

Saw the Mets against the Yankees at Citi Field last year. Have followed the Mets since in that short time span. Was a great atmosphere though I'm not sure about it as a sport. The home runs were kinda cool but in between those it was a bit of a snoozefest.

I saw the Baltimore Orioles play 2 years ago and all I can say about baseball is that a 5 day test match of Cricket has more entertainment than baseball.

I've already got a ticket for the Whitecaps v new York Red Bulls in September gonna be excellent.

That's too bad because I'm on my way to Australia in September, otherwise I would have met up with you. But I'd have to remember not to talk about the Wolves of the 1950s if I did. I enjoy the forum but don't comment much these days. Life's too busy.

Wow

Thread necromancy time

We are down to the final four again

American League

Houston Astros v New York Yankees

National League

Chicago Cubs v Los Angeles Dodgers

Hopefully my beloved Cubs can make the World Series as defending champs, but I think it will be a tough one against the Dodgers. Astros v Yankees is a coin toss. No doubt me and Darlo will have some late nights checking on post season again...

Been following the Yankees since watching them. Their fans are genuinely shocked they are in the American League Final. The club decided towards the end of the previous season to go for the yoof and invest in the future. They expected this season to be a slog as they gained experience. At one point they looked like they would finish top of their section but fell away towards the end and the Red Sox took it. Won their wild card and then lost the first 2 games against the Indians but dragged it back.

The Yankees v Indians and Cubs v Nationals series were both great stuff. I worry that both of us will be disappointed as the Astros and the Dodgers had an easy time in their series.

Here's hoping though. I need the Yankees to beat the Astros so that we could have home field advantage in the World Series if we can beat the Dodgers.

For those who don't follow baseball, you really should take a look. For me, it is the best of the American sports, and a day at the ball game is BRILLIANT.

Dodgers went a mad winning run at one point. Seemed unbeatable.

Got to love a sport where you play 160+ games a season. Day out at the Yankee Stadium was superb, one of the best sporting experiences.
The MLB are trying to set up games in the UK like the NFL have done.

2 games at the London Stadium either in 2019 or 2020. Looks like the Yankees will play both. Whether it's part of a mini series or different teams they don't know.

Probably try to get the Red Sox over as they love the Yankees....

I'll be going to those then.

I'm surprised about the London stadium use and not the Oval.

Me too. Is it going to be big enough?

Average attendance over there is about 35k for baseball (Wrigley holds just over 40k I think). It would be ace if a baseball game over here pulled in 60k or so.

I so so hope it is Yankees v Cubs. That would be a guaranteed massive crowd turnout.

Dropping a clang here but I've only ever been to Yankee Stadium (old) and I think it's 50k or so. The Yankees would be the draw even though the Cubs are a quality side.

I can break out my Tino Martinez T-shirt too.

Yankees, Red Sox, Cubs, Rangers would all pull a big attendance. Mets as well I guess

If the Cubs are over I will get a shirt with Sosa on the back to go to the ball game.

Dodgers go 3 up v the Cubs.
Yankees pull back to 2-2 v Astro's (nice comeback in the latest game as the Astro's were 4 up after their 7th innings)

Can't see anyone but the Dodgers taking the World Series now

Not so sure Aaron Judge is a superstar in the making. I can see him taking the Yankees to the title and becoming that elite star.

Not so sure Aaron Judge is a superstar in the making. I can see him taking the Yankees to the title and becoming that elite star.

He's some player. Not quite in the class of Harper, Trout and Stanton just yet (although he's a power hitter and Harper and Trout are more All rounders) but he's a leader and top class player.

I've enjoyed the highlights this season especially as most Yankees fans thought it would be a bust.

Dodgers look like they are just too good for us. I have thought they looked the best team by a street in the regular season. Still, not a bad defence of the World Series.

Yankees now 3-2 up against the Astros.

Back