• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Besiktas 0 Wolves 1 - At least Dick Turpin wore a mask verdict thread

I think it was more Nuno wanted a left foot at RCB to pass it to Doc / RW posn. Plus a lot of wide players cut in more these days, so it's helpful to have the wrong footed player there.

I think it was more Nuno wanted a left foot at RCB to pass it to Doc / RW posn. Plus a lot of wide players cut in more these days, so it's helpful to have the wrong footed player there.

Not very good for defending though as players look to win the ball with their wrong foot which is what did Saiss in too many times when he played there.

This of course, does not apply to the majestic Boly who looks like VVD when in full flight.

I still don't know what was wrong with Bennett, Coady, Boly.

Bennett wasn't awful, certainly not to the point where you'd shift Boly over because of it.

I can't believe it's 2019, players are growing up in academies and we are still talking about professional footballers having a "wrong" foot...

I can't believe it's 2019, players are growing up in academies and we are still talking about professional footballers having a "wrong" foot...

Have we managed to change genetics in academies?

I still don't know what was wrong with Bennett, Coady, Boly.

Bennett wasn't awful, certainly not to the point where you'd shift Boly over because of it.

Well this combo just seems a bit better. Nothing against Bennett who has been great.

Have we managed to change genetics in academies?

Not yet, but give it time...
We certainly have the ability and opportunity to train players to use both feet. I was bog average in several sports, but increased my performance significantly by training to use my off foot/hand. As a part timer, not a professional.

We certainly have the ability and opportunity to train players to use both feet. I was bog average in several sports, but increased my performance significantly by training to use my off foot/hand. As a part timer, not a professional.

I can do that with pool.

Sean Bean managed to make himself 'two-footed' in When Saturday Comes in only a few weeks.

Boly is fucking class. Absolutely fucking class.

Well this combo just seems a bit better. Nothing against Bennett who has been great.
Does it? Saiss is doing well but I wouldn't say he's a better defender then Bennett was or a much better passer. And he's certainly more liable to give away yellows.

He was miles better against Watford (MOTM for me) and had another good game last night, albeit he got away with a lot of physical stuff. If he's no better he's definitely no worse.

And it still hasn't sunk in that yesterday we beat Besiktas away in the Europa League.

We're so fortunate to have Willy. Comprehensively gone above Lescott now in my "best I've seen" rankings. When he has a poor game/spell within a game (the last 20 mins at Goodison...never seen him play like that) it's a real shock because he's so reliable. That block on the edge of the six yard box in the first half was just superb defending.

And amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding a European away win in a country not known for easy victories, can we just take a few seconds to fully appreciate Willy Boly's awareness in getting back onside, the precision and weight of Ruben Neves pass into a crowded box, Boly's sublime first touch, and his strikers composure, calmly slotting home under pressure from 2 defenders with a third looming fast.

There were things that could be improved, but some times you just have to take a little time to smell the roses.

And amidst all the doom and gloom surrounding a European away win in a country not known for easy victories, can we just take a few seconds to fully appreciate Willy Boly's awareness in getting back onside, the precision and weight of Ruben Neves pass into a crowded box, Boly's sublime first touch, and his strikers composure, calmly slotting home under pressure from 2 defenders with a third looming fast.

There were things that could be improved, but some times you just have to take a little time to smell the roses.

It's fucking good. I mean really fucking good. You won't see a better touch from a centre half in the opposition box this season.

I don't think the verdict thread is particularly negative. Wolves beating Beskitas 1-0 away with the last kick of the game is a tremendous result, but it wasn't a tremendous performance. I think it's fair to point that out particularly when the sloppiness in possession, passive attitude and isolation of the striker seen in the first half are themes which have been apparent in a number of games this season.

The match day one was and usually is negative but as Kenny points out reading it back afterwards doesn't really give context. Personally although than the odd comment at half time I don't really bother with it, but each to their own.

It's fucking good. I mean really fucking good. You won't see a better touch from a centre half in the opposition box this season.

Boly's touch is better every time you see it. 93rd minute, surrounded by defenders, last kick of the game virtually and he still cushions it perfectly.

Back