• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Besiktas 0 Wolves 1 - At least Dick Turpin wore a mask verdict thread

Not having a go at those who contribute to the Match Threads but I know how I react when at a game and if I wrote that down and then went back to read an hour after the game I would genuinly be embarrased. Typing in the moment will always lead to OTT reactions.

It's not "pant wetting", it's tiresome moaning, constantly looking for the most negative angle possible. At least from where I sit.

As a one off and in isolation, you might say it's fair enough (it was after all a half where we didn't have a shot on target). But it's pretty much every game.

Each to their own and all that but given how little joy some seemingly derive from Wolves (or football in general) then I'm not sure why they bother. There must be better ways to spend your time and/or money.

Anyway....we should be praising our goal...a lot. Smart header back by Jonny (I think) to Neves. The moment he gets the ball, Boly spots the gap and ensures he is in it and also onside. Then a lovely dinked ball to the big man and what a first touch. That was a class goal all round.

Anyway....we should be praising our goal...a lot. Smart header back by Jonny (I think) to Neves. The moment he gets the ball, Boly spots the gap and ensures he is in it and also onside. Then a lovely dinked ball to the big man and what a first touch. That was a class goal all round.

It was a fine pass and finish.

My instant reaction was that Neves was going to shoot, spotted Boly and changed his mind.

My instant reaction was that Neves was going to shoot, spotted Boly and changed his mind.

on Neves shooting...amazed he didn't have a go right at the end of the 1st half. 35 yards out, keeper out of position and his first touch put the ball nicely in front of him

I think there were a few occasions last night when Ruben passed from outside the box when he's very often has a pop in the past. I wonder whether Nuno has asked him to rein that in a bit? I'm still not sure whether it was our great play or abject defending (6 white shirts marking fresh air), but Boly was certainly ready to take full advantage of the freedom of the area he was granted and the pass to his feet was weighted perfectly.

So far as the overall match was concerned, yes, it was poor as a spectacle, but I never felt we were in any way outplayed or outclassed. We certainly didn't deserve to lose and, to be honest, as the home side they didn't do enough to deserve anything at all. Of course, we might have lost it as easily as we won, but you can say that about many games through the season. We're playing top sides here; we're not going to make them all look like Huddersfield. Last year, we couldn't even make Huddersfield look like Huddersfield. A win in our first proper Euro away game is something to be proud of, no matter how it comes. I bet the team are buzzing. I'm really hopeful of a decent showing against City now (though no points, of course).

I'm still not sure whether it was our great play or abject defending

Our play in my opinion

Watch it back and the moment the ball goes to Neves, 1 player reacts to it and that is Boly. When the ball is on the edge of the area he is offiside then the ball is headed to Neves and the moment Boly spots who has the ball he quickly moves into the space created by the initial attempt to clear. Rubes spots this and plays the perfect ball to him. Boly doesn't react like he does and Neves either has to have a pop himself or put the ball in the box and hope.

We're so fortunate to have Willy. Comprehensively gone above Lescott now in my "best I've seen" rankings. When he has a poor game/spell within a game (the last 20 mins at Goodison...never seen him play like that) it's a real shock because he's so reliable. That block on the edge of the six yard box in the first half was just superb defending.

I'm liking Saiss on the left (we found him in a traditional LB area quite a lot yesterday with Jonny pushed on - and he can pass well from there) and Boly on the right (can carry the ball even better from that side - a lovely one late on where he puts in a perfect tackle and then storms forward 30-40 yards on his own).

Tough on Benno who has been a brilliant signing for us but we have to evolve and if Vallejo isn't ready (might never be this year, there's a lot to do) then I think this is the way to go.

Only thing with Saiss is he needs to learn a bit how to keep his hands off when a striker's backing in - I like him being physical but he could easily have been booked for persistent fouling last night and teams will play on it.

Only thing with Saiss is he needs to learn a bit how to keep his hands off when a striker's backing in -

Been watching Christophe Berra vids I reckon and trying to learn from the Master

Still early days to judge Saiss in the position but early signs are good, we still look solid defensively and he offers better mobility and distribution than Bennett, which is to be expected from a player who has spent most of his time playing in midfield.

Boly is one of the best CB's in the Premier League, I have thought so for a while - if you wanted to buy a player like that, who is a quality defender and is also very good on the ball and in his distribution - you'd be talking a LOT of money on the transfer market.

I certainly couldn't list you 10 I'd take over him. Not even close.

I've been really impressed by Saiss, especially last weekend. Always gives everything too.

He could do with be a little less handsy when jostling for the ball, especially in the EPL.

It boggles the mind we wanted to go square peg -> round hole and play Saiss as the RCB, it honestly does. Sometimes the simple solution is the way to go - yes it moved Boly out of a position he'd made his own and was very strong in, but I've not seen anything to suggest he can't be equally as effective on the right hand side. And the general improvement in our distribution from the back (even though Bennett improved a lot in this area, he's not up to Saiss' level) more than outweighs any downside in my eyes.

Going to have to take the rough with the smooth with regards to his defending I think. Def too handsy, def too rash at times, but when he's not acting a silly bugger he is genuinely a good defender and we look very solid again with that back 5.

I think if it is still the same back three coming up to Christmas we will buy a left sided defender (unless we deem a young player like Kilman or John ready, which I find unlikely)

Boly can’t do the fake left foot hoof cut inside trick which every striker continues to fall for 2 years on. Sad times

It boggles the mind we wanted to go square peg -> round hole and play Saiss as the RCB, it honestly does. Sometimes the simple solution is the way to go - yes it moved Boly out of a position he'd made his own and was very strong in, but I've not seen anything to suggest he can't be equally as effective on the right hand side. And the general improvement in our distribution from the back (even though Bennett improved a lot in this area, he's not up to Saiss' level) more than outweighs any downside in my eyes.

Going to have to take the rough with the smooth with regards to his defending I think. Def too handsy, def too rash at times, but when he's not acting a silly bugger he is genuinely a good defender and we look very solid again with that back 5.

I agree with this, he's been very good at LCB, far more natural there than on the right. The one big credit last night is our back 5 looking like our back 5 again. Very impressed with the defending from them.

Back