• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Besiktas 0 Wolves 1 - At least Dick Turpin wore a mask verdict thread

I am absolutely loving the result, the fact we've won away in Istanbul in the Europa. I dont really care that we only started to get going in the last 10, we did enough to still be in it.

I'm incredibly proud of this team, it's amazing. Numos post match interview when he mentioned the fans back in Wolverhampton, it's crazy. We winning games in europe, if you cant be happy now you'll never be

I’m also concerned by MGW’s performances this season. Judah has suggested loaning him out to get some regular football and if we can strengthen the squad in January, I wouldn’t be against this.

He just doesn’t seem to fit in to our system & I feel like Nuno is unsure of his best role.

Eh? he played well on saturday against Watford.
Who would you loan him to... a championship club?

I wish folks would give him a break and maybe support him and stop fucking moaning everytime he doesnt pass the ball within 2 seconds of getting it.
Seems to me that some people have decided to choose a 19yr old as the fallguy this season, just his name on the teamsheet tonight had
all stupid remarks on shitter, if he doesnt play its Bennett and failing that its Dendonker.

Never ever had it so good but its still a glass half empty attitude.

I am absolutely loving the result, the fact we've won away in Istanbul in the Europa. I dont really care that we only started to get going in the last 10, we did enough to still be in it.

I'm incredibly proud of this team, it's amazing. Numos post match interview when he mentioned the fans back in Wolverhampton, it's crazy. We winning games in europe, if you cant be happy now you'll never be

But we didnt get going in the last 10 minutes didnt you see the match, we were awful,under pressure for 90 minutes, Patricio was diving left right and centre for most the match and we only put 4 passes together allnight...bloody awful stuff, nuno out and im cutting my season ticket card up ;-)

So, Besiktas, normally a Champions League team... We go there, frustrate them, grind them down and then beat them but that's not good enough for our fans, away, in Europe? Get real guys

Last edited:
I’d like to think I can look at things objectively and form my opinion from there. But what I will say is that IMO the holier than thou attitude Is far more grating than the glass half full attitude

We have one season to benchmark ourselves on. In that incredible season we managed to perform shit on a number of occasions.
Huddersfield twice
Brighton, twice one lucky point.
Burnley once
Watford once
Cardiff once
Southampton once
Bournemouth once, lucky point.

Then we also did to west ham exactly what we did to Besiktas tonight. Personally, its refreshing to play poorly and win.

I’d like to think I can look at things objectively and form my opinion from there. But what I will say is that IMO the holier than thou attitude Is far more grating than the glass half full attitude

Absolutely agree with this.

So, Besiktas, normally a Champions League team... We go there, frustrate them, grind them down and then beat them but that's not good enough to for our fans, away, in Europe? Get real guys

It is not about not being good enough, people are simply pointing out a disjointed performance even if we won it in the end. What's the point of a results thread if you can't comment on the performance?

I feel a few here have a slightly romantic view of how the game unfolded. We were not in control at times and struggled to get the ball into meaningful positions even when the home team was very obviously not having a good game and looked very short on confidence. I don't think we deserved to win that one, though we didn't deserve to lose either. Bar the last 10 mins we did nothing except mop up the unimaginative attacks of an, on the day, poor opponent. Great result, very happy to still be firmly in this competition, but worried about our attacking play, which has been below par all season.

It is not about not being good enough, people are simply pointing out a disjointed performance even if we won it in the end. What's the point of a results thread if you can't comment on the performance?

I feel a few here have a slightly romantic view of how the game unfolded. We were not in control at times and struggled to get the ball into meaningful positions even when the home team was very obviously not having a good game and looked very short on confidence. I don't think we deserved to win that one, though we didn't deserve to lose either. Bar the last 10 mins we did nothing except mop up the unimaginative attacks of an, on the day, poor opponent. Great result, very happy to still be firmly in this competition, but worried about our attacking play, which has been below par all season.

100%. It’s always been the way on here when someone doesn’t paint everything in a perfect light, though. Each to their own.

Bar the Vida chance we did seem pretty much in control though. We totally stifled their ability to play for 99% of the game. That is not to say we were enthralling to watch - we were not. But the job was done when we turned the wick up in the last minutes.

In many ways an archetypal European away performance. First ensure you don’t lose, and then try and pinch something. It doesn’t look like watching Brazil but my word it ended up being effective. Equally though, as Nuno himself acknowledged, there are plenty of things to work on coming out of the performance to make us better.

Simple fact is if we can beat Bratislava in the next two matches we are as good as qualified. We have put ourselves right back in the mix.

Archetypal away performance?

If the plan was to be terrible in possession and too deep in defence until the last 10 minutes and then score then the plan worked perfectly. That's one brave manager to do that.

We saw on Saturday what we can do when we go at teams down the bottom of the division with fragile confidence. Besiktas are in that position right now and I thought the tactics and play were all wrong last night.

Nuno has always been about getting the first goal and controlling the game from there, Mick McCarthy was all about defending and trying to nick something at the death.

I want Nuno back.

Countless European campaigns have contained the pinched 1-0 away victory, so yes archetypal. Which doesn’t mean good in the dictionary

Archetypal away performance?

If the plan was to be terrible in possession and too deep in defence until the last 10 minutes and then score then the plan worked perfectly. That's one brave manager to do that.

We saw on Saturday what we can do when we go at teams down the bottom of the division with fragile confidence. Besiktas are in that position right now and I thought the tactics and play were all wrong last night.

Nuno has always been about getting the first goal and controlling the game from there, Mick McCarthy was all about defending and trying to nick something at the death.

I want Nuno back.

We actually got in some decent postions in the first half but the fact Neto and MGW had poor games ruined that.

We pressed their midfield hard and got a lot of errors out of them but the ball went up front and it was either a poor touch or shit decision making that ended that (see the one when we won it back and Neto just had to go first time with the cross and Raul was unmarked on the penalty spot but he took 3 touches and lost the ball). That was the issue in the 1st half rather than how we set up. We restricted them to what in the 1st half? 3 shots 4 miles over the bar, a spell of 3 corners in 30 seconds, a ball hitting Coady and hitting the post (if we are counting that as a serious chance then neto's cross that deflected goalwards of Vida counts for us...).

It was obvious we had to replace Neto or MGW and we did straight away. Whilst not brilliant, Traore at least improved our attacking threat. 2nd half chances for them. A long range shot straight at Rui and Vida's header (he should score there or at least it the target). Personally I saw nothing different in how we set up away from home under Nuno. Tight defensive line, press in midfield and if they want to pass it around 40 yards from goal, let them (how many times did they go from 30 yards from goal back to the keeper or the deepest defender). We were just let down by the front 3 (well 2 of the 3, hard to have a go at Raul as he got zero service), over the 2nd half we sorted that out and had Saiss (2 chances) Raul header, Cutrone and the goal. It does read as if some think we parked the bus then in the 94th minute popped out and stole it.

I do like the fact that I have just read people arguing over a game where Wolves have won in Europe.....I love we have reached that level where in a premier tournament and win we can still pick it apart. This isn't having a go a people btw but just to show where we have arrived in such a short space of time. It's ace.

A lot of people seem to think it’s not okay to be happy that we won and disappointed that we didn’t play well.

Here’s Nuno’s view

Nuno admitted the result had been celebrated briefly, but he was not happy and said: "It was good and in the end we are happy. We had two minutes of celebration only.
"The goal gives us a victory in a tough, tough stadium but we needed more moments of talent.

"We gave too many chances to Besiktas and sometimes we didn't attack as a unit, it was more individually. So we have to improve."

We weren't at our best at all. Still sitting off allowing the opposition to have too much of the ball and when we do recover possession giving it straight back too cheaply, not helped by the fact that Neto and MGW struggled to have much impact and Raul not holding it up as he's usually so good at doing, he is in desperate need of a rest - I wouldn't play him Sunday and just give him the 2 weeks off to recharge ready for Southampton.

We looked much better when Traore and Cutrone came on. Cutrone had a very bright 15 mins or so and whatever people think about Traore he has been good this season and in games like this his pace is always a worry for the opposition and a relief for the defence when he can carry it forwards to take some pressure off.

Before we played any Europa games a chap I work with who is a Liverpool fan and has followed them in Europe for years, came over to me and said "by the way you'll hardly win any away games in Europe, even against teams you'll smash at home" - I think some people are underestimating how hard it actually is - If you just look at Besiktas' team in terms of the players they have - they'd be a solid Premier League team minimum and we all know how hard it is to win away from home in the Premier League, in Europe you have different style to contend with and maybe most importantly that atmosphere, I know people who went who say they've never heard anything like it, Coady came out at the end and said when he was shouting on the pitch he couldn't even hear his own voice.

Look at United last night - went away to Alkmaar and didn't even have a shot on target.

We are novices when it comes to these European games and it's all good experience. I'd have definitely taken a point before the game - without being at our best we have kept it tight at the back and nicked a 1-0 in perhaps the hardest game we will play in this group and another thing to point out is the 93rd min winner again, only a couple of weeks after a 95th minute equaliser vs Palace, encouraging to see that no matter how the game is playing out Nuno ensures this team fight right until the final whistle.

I didn't get to see the game, just listened to the commentary, but the game struck me as one that both sides knew they couldn't afford to lose, and that very rarely leads to an encounter to remember through the ages. It may not have been a classic on the eye (or ears) but Besiktas are fucked now and have a monumental task ahead of them to get out of the group.

We on the other hand are not, the boys have done their job.
2 wins and 2 clean sheets in the space of a few days.
Yes, the performance could have been better....... but I think when you take into account the full context of the game - away from home, against experienced European club, hostile crowd, must not lose, league form so far not as good would have wanted so far, Jota missing - it's bloody brilliant to be a Wolves fan this morning!

And, what a goal it was. Great ball from Neves and then Boly............. oh my fucking word......... what a man!

People are getting far too ahead of them selves if they think we should be going to Istanbul and winning 3,4 or 5-0.

Back