• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best England XI (1978 to 2020)

I'd be bloody happy to be moaning about the Lampard/Gerrard partnership now, given our current options.

Carrick just missed out for me, principally because he was criminally underused. Such a good player.

Yeah, I struggle to put Carrick in when he was constantly available for nearly 15 years and only got 34 caps. He belongs to a different thread, undercapped players or whatever.

The Lampard/Gerrard thing really wasn't the problem that many made it out to be. They both did well for England. Not saying it worked brilliantly but our problems lay elsewhere.

Carrick in front of the back four with Gerrard and Lampard in a 4-3-3 with our current forward line would be frightening. Just need the back four from the Mid 2000's.

So back 4 from mid 2000s, mid 3 from early 2010s and forward 3 from now?

Please allow for the people who insist old football was better, while forgetting that England managed to fail to qualify for a load of tournaments in the 70s and 80s. Almost as if those players weren't actually that good :)

So back 4 from mid 2000s, mid 3 from early 2010s and forward 3 from now?

G Neville—————Ferdinand——Terry————-A.Cole

——————Gerrard———-Carrick———Lampard——-

Sancho—————————-Kane———————Sterling

I’d say that’s a decent line up. Not necessarily the best players.

Please allow for the people who insist old football was better, while forgetting that England managed to fail to qualify for a load of tournaments in the 70s and 80s. Almost as if those players weren't actually that good :)

They were that good. Just not collectively.

Shilton was a top keeper for twenty years but seaman gets the vote even though his fuck up from ronaldinho is as bad in no it worse than shils v Poland or his back peddle v Germany on Parker's reflection. Safe hands my arse lol!

Its horses for courses. Norman Hunter was great in the 70s but would not get a game now. Sterling is great now butwould have been kicked off the park in Hunters time.

That's the thing. What's good in time A can be average in time B. Charlton would not get a game for Man U 2020 and Martial would not get a game for Man U 1968.

Gasgcoine 23
Robson 15
Lampard 13
Scholes 5
Gerrard 7
Hargreaves 1
Plant 1

So is the next stage to pick a second midfielder to play with Gazza? I presume you could put people on your list you've already had?

Next up a midfield partner for Gazza. Results at a similar time tomorrow.

Gerrard
Hargreaves
Robson

Shilton was a top keeper for twenty years but seaman gets the vote even though his fuck up from ronaldinho is as bad in no it worse than shils v Poland or his back peddle v Germany on Parker's reflection. Safe hands my arse lol!

Its horses for courses. Norman Hunter was great in the 70s but would not get a game now. Sterling is great now butwould have been kicked off the park in Hunters time.

That's the thing. What's good in time A can be average in time B. Charlton would not get a game for Man U 2020 and Martial would not get a game for Man U 1968.

Codswallop. All keepers make mistakes and Bobby Charlton would get into Uniteds team in any era.

Interesting that even those old enough to remember him in an England shirt (not me, for the record) aren't going for Hoddle.

Back