• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best England XI (1978 to 2020)

Heddle was a fantastic player, just a fucking arsehole.

You could tell he was still class when I saw him for Swindon and Chelsea, obviously his mobility wasn't the best but just strolled through games.

It's just that everyone always cites him as earning nowhere near as many caps as he should have...and yet he's nowhere near the conversation here (until I brought him up).

Heddle was a fantastic player, just a fucking arsehole.

Never did it for England either really. He was excellent but never found a settled role in the England set up.

You could tell he was still class when I saw him for Swindon and Chelsea, obviously his mobility wasn't the best but just strolled through games.

It's just that everyone always cites him as earning nowhere near as many caps as he should have...and yet he's nowhere near the conversation here (until I brought him up).

He played at the back for Swindon against us and ran the game. 2-2 last minute equaliser from us wasn’t it?

I was 11 for the 86 World Cup and that infamous hand of a God game and Hoddle was decent that game from my limited memory (and numerous repeats) he was a superb passer of the ball. I don't remember him as a stand out player and for a man of his ability he should've been running games as he did later in his career.

If we'd have used him as a Xabi Alonso type player we'd be talking about one of the greatest in an England shirt but for some reason we wanted him to work as hard as Reid and Hodge and he was never that player.

i preferred Wilkins to partner Gazza as he was our Deschamps, a metronome of a player who would let Gazza do his thing.

Loved Butch, as mentioned in a thread the other week he was still the best player on the park when he played for QPR down here and he was 40.

Sadly I never saw him for England.

He was a fantastic 'tecnician' with great vision but I think the 'strolling through games' was an impression he gave before his Chelsea and Swindon days and that cost him some England caps. Hard to fit him in to a rigid 4-4-2 in those days maybe?

Robson,
Lampard,
Gerrard.

Hoddle didn't really do the graft needed to play in a 442 with wingers which Robson and Greenwood favoured with the likes of Coppell, Barnes and Waddle.

If Clough had been manager he'd either have built a team around him or binned him off completely. The media love him now, but back then he was often the one blamed for a defeat.

When he was at Spurs they played right and left midfielders like Villa and Galvin rather than out and out wide men. The latter tucked in a lot more for Spurs than he did ROI.

He was probably before his time. Put him in a modern day PL 3 and he'd be a player of the season contender most years.

Thinking who is there already and you need more defensively minded to accommodate Gascoigne and Cole so

Robson
Platt
Ince

Hoddle didn't really do the graft needed to play in a 442 with wingers which Robson and Greenwood favoured with the likes of Coppell, Barnes and Waddle.

If Clough had been manager he'd either have built a team around him or binned him off completely. The media love him now, but back then he was often the one blamed for a defeat.

When he was at Spurs they played right and left midfielders like Villa and Galvin rather than out and out wide men. The latter tucked in a lot more for Spurs than he did ROI.

He was probably before his time. Put him in a modern day PL 3 and he'd be a player of the season contender most years.

Agreed. 30 years too early.

Captain Marvel is a the clear winner.

Right midfield next.

Team so far.........

-------------------------------Seaman---------------------------------

Gary Neville------Tony Adams----Rio Ferdinand--------Ashley Cole

——————-Bryan Robson————Paul Gascoigne———Joe Cole—

Last edited:
David Beckham

Theo Walcott

Jadon Sancho

Back