• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Best Films Ever

Beyond Fear and Loathing I’ve heard of a total of fuck all of his films. Bizarre.
The comment was more about his 'Moviedrome' series on BBC2 and his choice of 'cult' movies.

I'm surprised you've not come across 'Repo Man' or 'Sid and Nancy' tbh.

The comment was more about his 'Moviedrome' series on BBC2 and his choice of 'cult' movies.

I'm surprised you've not come across 'Repo Man' or 'Sid and Nancy' tbh.
Aah OK. Sid and Nancy I have heard of, didn’t spot that one. Was The Hitcher really a cult film? I get Romper Stomper but thought The Hitcher was far from cult material.

I'm not sure I've even seen 40 movies total...

Each to their own of course, and I might be on my own here, but I find it quite amazing that some people north of mid twenties haven’t even seen forty movies.

I'm not sure I've even seen 40 movies total...
Michael-Owen-640x382.jpg

It's a me thing, definitely. My family just never did it. Too expensive, they said.

So what films I did see were the few they had on VHS or that showed on TV. So, the bulk of my childhood was spent watching and re-watching the Star Wars OT, Jaws, Twister, and a dozen or so Disney animated films. The "moviegoing experience" is one I just never fell in love with, in part because my parents wanted no part in it.

I also am not exactly a social butterfly.

I reckon I'd seen more than 40 films before I'd hit double figures. Albeit one of those was Watership Down, which is fucking relentlessly grim and brutal and which has scarred me mentally for life...

It's a me thing, definitely. My family just never did it. Too expensive, they said.

So what films I did see were the few they had on VHS or that showed on TV. So, the bulk of my childhood was spent watching and re-watching the Star Wars OT, Jaws, Twister, and a dozen or so Disney animated films. The "moviegoing experience" is one I just never fell in love with, in part because my parents wanted no part in it.

I also am not exactly a social butterfly.
I’m probably one of the biggest anti social bastards there is but that’s what Netflix / Amazon / Pirate Bay were made for.

I’m probably one of the biggest anti social bastards there is but that’s what Netflix / Amazon / Pirate Bay were made for.
I guess when it came down to it, video games always won that battle for me. Couldn't tell you exactly why.

I guess when it came down to it, video games always won that battle for me. Couldn't tell you exactly why.
This town’s big enough for the both of em.

By and large, the cinema can fuck off. For a start, I can't understand why people can't go a whole two hours without stuffing their piehole (this applies at the football too, mind). Or insist on talking throughout. Just sit there, shut up and watch it. Oh and because British people can't be trusted, unless you want to pay through the nose for "special" tickets, you can't have anything stronger than a Coke while watching it. What if I like having a nice cold bottle of beer while I watch a film? I could do that in Germany 20 years ago in the cinema.

For what it is, as a general experience it's far too expensive and unlike in the 80s/90s you don't have to wait forever to watch it at home. Then it was seriously at times, don't see it now, you'll get to rent it in two years. Maybe.

Although I can appreciate that some films naturally lend themselves to a bigger screen and sound system than you can ever replicate on a home system.

We had a VHS player from about 1987ish onwards and I think my parents were determined to make the most of it so we regularly rented videos from the shop in Wednesfield. It's a fishing shop now or it was the last time I checked. I remember them seething that they rented Ghostbusters II and I said I wanted to watch Italy vs Austria in the 1990 World Cup on my own on the portable in the back room. I have obviously seen Ghostbusters II since and I remain satisfied that 9 year old Dan made the right call.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
(Almost) All of the above is why I appreciate having a job that allows me to go to the cinema midweek during the day when almost no one is there. The cinema is ruined by other people.
(Although there has been times I've had to walk out and ask someone to press "play" when i was the only person in...)

Maltese Falcon
Goodfellas
Predator
Aliens
Point Break
Platoon
Top Gun
The Third Man
The Big Sleep
Winchester 73
Bullitt
The Matrix
Fight Club
The Social Network
Key Largo
Godfather
Godfather 2
Empire Strikes Back
Star Wars A New Hope
Serenity (Firefly)
JFK
Angel Heart
The Breakfast Club
Planes Trains and Automobiles
Dirty Rotten Scoundrels (Caine version)
John Wick
Alien
Jaws
Carrie
Magnolia
Heat
The Big Lebowski
Dumb and Dumber
Dr Strangelove
Blazing Saddles
The Good the bad and the ugly
The Departed
Inception
Insomnia
Momento
Flight
The Shining
The Shawshank Redemption
Pulp Fiction
True Romance
The Lost Boys
Rear Window (both versions)
Rope
12 Angry Men
Scarface
The Birds
Rosemary's Baby
The Anderson Tapes
Get Carter (the original)
Zulu

There are quite a few more but I've stopped at 50 odd. Probably getting close to 500 films I've watched in my lifetime.

Aeon Flux is the only one I've walked out of the Cinema before finishing. Utter shite.

Edit: Closer to 2000!

Last edited:
Cape Fear. Both versions are excellent.
Wall Street
It’s a personal thing but I love Top Gun.

And I agree with everyone putting Zulu on their list. It’s brilliant.

How could I forget romper stomper, best thing Russell Crowe has ever done, and
Get Carter,
Ghostbusters,
Duel,
Top gun ( best rubbish film ever)
Ffs maybe I should have written a list and checked it twice before jumping in

Back