• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Blues (A) build up

We can probably get away with having only one defender on the bench, realistically - Hause. He can cover left-back if Golbourne needs to go off, or centre-back if either Batth or Stearman do (and if Iorfa is injured, then Hause goes in alongside Batth and Stearman goes to right-back).

Not that I expect that to happen, of course, because Jackett seems to like having Doherty available as a more offensive choice at right-back, and he also likes to go to five at the back sometimes in the last few minutes when we're sitting out a lead. But if we still go for more than two defenders for any remaining games it's really perverse.

Funny how no-one ever mentions match fitness with regard to Ebanks-Landell. We never play him in the reserves any more and he rarely gets any more than 5 minutes as a sub, and that's pretty rare in itself. Yet if one of the centre halves went off in the opening ten minutes on Saturday I bet he'd come on and be expected to play 80+ minutes in a key game. Adds fuel to my theory that match fitness is a load of old cock.

Whats the story with the Blues sausage thing? Why sausages?

It started at our home game and was a piss take comment from one of their forum posters on a thread where they were commenting on a thread that was on MolMix, but it seems it has escalated.

Funny how no-one ever mentions match fitness with regard to Ebanks-Landell. We never play him in the reserves any more and he rarely gets any more than 5 minutes as a sub, and that's pretty rare in itself. Yet if one of the centre halves went off in the opening ten minutes on Saturday I bet he'd come on and be expected to play 80+ minutes in a key game. Adds fuel to my theory that match fitness is a load of old cock.

A fair point, but - and I'm not an expert, so this is just what I've read elsewhere - I was under the impression that "match" fitness is more of a consideration at the beginning of a player's season, rather than later. It's not physical fitness (training sessions deal with that), but rather familiarity with the system that the rest of the team is using. And since EL has played a fair few games already, he's still semi-"match" fit, more so than if he'd been coming back from a long injury or summer break.

Back