• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Bournemouth (A) 21/10: Build-Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deutsch Wolf

aka Dawn
Reaction score
Not an easy conundrum with team selection here and opinions will differ.

We do look better defensively with three at the back (as Toti covers Kilman/Dawson turning like milk, and is a good deal more proactive too)...BUT it definitely impacts on our ability to control games and offer any threat beyond "give it to Neto". We've regressed both in terms of possession and attempts on target (4 in the last two games) since we changed system.

We also have the quandary up front where Cunha isn't really a striker and won't score many, Sasa isn't fit to start games (apparently) and Fabio looks worse with every sub appearance and is currently nowhere near the quality required. There isn't a solution there unfortunately.

However - this is a match that we need to target as a win. The tough home run isn't over yet - Newcastle and Spurs up next - and Bournemouth currently look a very poor team. Not won since late April, lost their last three by an aggregate of 10-1. If we do beat them then we'd already have an 8 point (plus goal difference) cushion over them which looks huge even at an early stage of the season. Could also see them sacking their manager if we win and they could easily appoint some total joker.

So I've mixed and matched it at the back. I'm well aware that Jonny is miles off the player that he was but I don't want to see Doherty starting any league games for us, thank you very much.

-------------------------------------Sa--------------------------------

Jonny-----------------Dawson----------------Kilman----------Toti

---------------Traoré------------J Gomes--------Bellegarde--------------

---------------Neto-------------Cunha-----------Hwang-----------------

2022/23: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 1-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2018/19: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2014/15: L 1-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1998/99: D 1-1 (A, LC), L 1-2 (H, LC)

He'll start Doc and probably switch back to a back 4 for this one (so he can accommodate Bellegarde), which makes no sense given Doc is better equipped to play in a back 5!

We do look better defensively with three at the back (as Toti covers Kilman/Dawson turning like milk, and is a good deal more proactive too)...BUT it definitely impacts on our ability to control games and offer any threat beyond "give it to Neto". We've regressed both in terms of possession and attempts on target (4 in the last two games) since we changed system.

We also have the quandary up front where Cunha isn't really a striker and won't score many, Sasa isn't fit to start games (apparently) and Fabio looks worse with every sub appearance and is currently nowhere near the quality required. There isn't a solution there unfortunately.

However - this is a match that we need to target as a win. The tough home run isn't over yet - Newcastle and Spurs up next - and Bournemouth currently look a very poor team. Not won since late April, lost their last three by an aggregate of 10-1. If we do beat them then we'd already have an 8 point (plus goal difference) cushion over them which looks huge even at an early stage of the season. Could also see them sacking their manager if we win and they could easily appoint some total joker.

So I've mixed and matched it at the back. I'm well aware that Jonny is miles off the player that he was but I don't want to see Doherty starting any league games for us, thank you very much.

-------------------------------------Sa--------------------------------

Jonny-----------------Dawson----------------Kilman----------Toti

---------------Traoré------------J Gomes--------Bellegarde--------------

---------------Neto-------------Cunha-----------Hwang-----------------

2022/23: L 0-1 (H), D 0-0 (A)
2019/20: W 1-0 (H), W 2-1 (A)
2018/19: W 2-0 (H), D 1-1 (A)
2014/15: L 1-2 (H), L 1-2 (A)
1998/99: D 1-1 (A, LC), L 1-2 (H, LC)

This is the team in my mind, although 4 at the back does give me the heebie jeebies.
Bournemouth will be targeting this as their first win but will be a bag of nerves, go for em.
It'll be a good test of GONs tactical nouse after a positive couple of games versus good opposition.

Kilman Dawson Toti

Doherty Boubacar Gomes Aït-Nouri

Neto Cunha Hwang

I think with 2 enforced changes you try not to make too many others and just select the best 2 replacements available. Personally I'd always prefer Jonny to Doc but Doc might actually provide the extra attacking impetuous we need to break Bournemouth down. I think there's enough creativity there that we don't immediately have to revert to exposing Kilman/Dawson/Sá like we have done previously in a 4.

I don't want to play with 3 centre halves, but I don't want to see either Doherty or Jonny as a full back in a 4 either, so reluctantly I'd pick Lycan's team.
Yeah same. Think it might be Doyle for Mario though.

He'll start Doc and probably switch back to a back 4 for this one (so he can accommodate Bellegarde), which makes no sense given Doc is better equipped to play in a back 5!
Will he? I feel like you're criticising him for something he hasn't done here.

Back 4 if Jonny can do a Denis Irwin or back 5 if Jonny is completely broken and we have to play Doc

Bellegarde - Kilman - Dawson - Toti - RAN
Traoré - Gomes
Neto - Cunha - Hwang​

Not sure where Bellegarde at RWB sits on the 'Hope:Expectation' spectrum.

Bellegarde - Kilman - Dawson - Toti - RAN
Traoré - Gomes
Neto - Cunha - Hwang​

Not sure where Bellegarde at RWB sits on the 'Hope:Expectation' spectrum.
It should be in the spectrum of the bin!

Leave him as a 2nd half sub when Cunha comes off and push the other two narrower up front with Bellegarde in behind.

Will he? I feel like you're criticising him for something he hasn't done here.
Jesus, talk about being on the offensive! I'm not criticising him at all - it's a prediction.

1. My guess is he will pick Doc ahead of Jonny, based on the fact he's generally preferred him in previous matches
2. My guess is he will revert to a back 4 because it's a team we should really be beating so he may prefer to have the extra attacking player and with Bellegarde back, it makes sense

If there's a game to switch back to four at the back, I think this might be it. But equally, it wouldn't surprise me if he sticks with the same shape to keep it tight. The front three have enough about them to cause Bournemouth problems, but Boubacar has probably done enough to earn a start, which makes a switch to 4-3-3 more likely IMO.

If 10 mins against City is anything to go by, Doc is the better option than Jonny. Low bar though.

I'd be really surprised if he changes back to a 4, especially as we are away.

Be disappointed if it's Doyle, I have nothing against the kid but imo Traore has done enough in the last 2 games to warrant a start. Doyle is more of a defensive, quarterback style cm?
I'd imagine we've brought Doyle in to be cover for Lamina though - kinda means he should play. I'd be happy with either though they are very different.

Whoever the midfield ends up being, there won't be much Premier league experience there at all, barely 35 games between Gomes, Doyle, Traore, Bellegarde and Doyle.

Whoever the midfield ends up being, there won't be much Premier league experience there at all, barely 35 games between Gomes, Doyle, Traore, Bellegarde and Doyle.
Luckily for us, their manager has even less Prem experience than ours.

Even without Lemina and his experience, GO should be able to set us up positively (and you'd imagine he'll want to stick it to Bournemouth for what I'm sure he feels was an unjustified decision to let him go). Bournemouth looked absolutely clueless the other day and I'll be very disappointed if we can't take advantage of just how much of a house fire they are at the moment.

But against Villa, Neto and Sasa should have got their efforts on target and arguably Ait-Nouri too. Against Manchester City, chances were always going to be at a premium.

As much as O'Neill is portrayed as someone who tinkers when it comes to formations...I don't think he will move away from the 5, particularly with the suspensions we have.

Our wide forwards (and wingbacks) struggled because for large parts of the game on Sunday out of possession Villa were playing a flat back six and yes, we were more effective counter attacking than trying to control the game. We were fairly effective controlling the game against Manchester United, Brighton and Liverpool (until we weren't) and we got nothing.

Sa
Doherty Kilman Dawson Toti Ait-Nouri
Gomes Traore*
Neto Cunha Hwang

*although I wouldn't be surprised if JRB starts instead of Traore

For me, the players look more comfortable with this system and while Neto and Hwang are doing stuff up front then carry on.

I'd imagine we've brought Doyle in to be cover for Lamina though - kinda means he should play. I'd be happy with either though they are very different.
Tbf I don't think I've seen Doyle play, only going on what I've read, maybe he's more athletic and dynamic than I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back