• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley (H) 25/4 Build Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everything you read says that players barely train at this time of the season in a competitive sense, they just tick over and match plan

Nuno ended his loan so presumably had an idea of where he’d use him. Not much point in ending the loan unless he was simply a better option than an U23 player in case of further injuries. Surely with little to lose now is the time to assess him by giving him a run of games. If he doesn’t get that I’ll be surprised if he doesn’t leave permanently in the summer. It would be a shame to do so without giving him a run whether that be in a midfield two or more as a 10.
Saturday afternoon, or not as is often the case these days, isn't the only time to judge him though is it? For us fans it may be the only opportunity we get to see the players but the manager and coaching staff have far more opportunity to witness how they're performing through the week in training, if they're not doing the business then they don't earn the chance to prove it on matchday.

As you say it's pretty much risk free at the moment, if your manager isn't willing to give you the chance in that environment then it probably says volumes about how well he's thought of, or says something else about the manager.

Everything you read says that players barely train at this time of the season in a competitive sense, they just tick over and match plan
Not sure what you've read but this isn't true. Not sure about Nuno but I know other managers plan weeks ahead to work on things depending on analysis and performance in games.

That falls under match plan. MGW isn't going to be forcing his way into the squad at the moment due to what he's doing in training

That falls under match plan. MGW isn't going to be forcing his way into the squad at the moment due to what he's doing in training
Why couldn't he?

Even if your training is primarily focused on match prep, looking to hone a particular set of tactics to suit an opponents say, and Gibbs-White is able to demonstrate that he is more adept at carrying out that plan that others in his position then why would he not be able to put himself into favour for a starting place?

so how does one get into the matchday squad? completely arbitrary list making by coaches?

seems very odd to suggest that lineups and tactics are set in stone weeks before a game and that players performance/proficiency during the lead up will have no effect.

Why couldn't he?

Even if your training is primarily focused on match prep, looking to hone a particular set of tactics to suit an opponents say, and Gibbs-White is able to demonstrate that he is more adept at carrying out that plan that others in his position then why would he not be able to put himself into favour for a starting place?
Exactly this Mark. Higher quality squads lead to higher quality sessions which show how players can perform in game situations (phases). A good manager will look at which players are in and out of form based on those sessions, not just games.

Exactly this Mark. Higher quality squads lead to higher quality sessions which show how players can perform in game situations (phases). A good manager will look at which players are in and out of form based on those sessions, not just games.
Nuno made a comment after our last game that those not in the 11 need to do more in training. He rarely says stuff like that, so have to presume a few are trying to cruise through to the end of this season

Even though I picked MGW in my team, I wouldn't mind Vitinha in there instead. I rate MGW but he needs to work harder when he plays for the 1st team.
MGW plays with more strength and presence than Vitinha currently, although that may be something to do with confidence.

As others have said, it will be a back three. We’ll be absolutely terrible, predictable, slow, uninspiring and awful to watch for 60-70 minutes and then he’ll throw on Fabio to help us scrape a draw or, heaven forbid, even a winner.

Can’t wait for this season to finish!

Absolutely no way MGW or Vitinha start.

As others have said, it will be a back three. We’ll be absolutely terrible, predictable, slow, uninspiring and awful to watch for 60-70 minutes and then he’ll throw on Fabio to help us scrape a draw or, heaven forbid, even a winner.

Is this an attempt at reverse psychology or summat?

Oh yeah, I'll be fucking disgusted if we beat Burnley at the weekend :rolleyes:

Oh yeah, I'll be fucking disgusted if we beat Burnley at the weekend :rolleyes:
The main point of my post was, we can all predict our line ups which include MGW, Vitinha etc - but deep down, we all know what Nuno will pick - and we all know what kind of performance we’ll likely get. I don’t think much is going to change at this point!

Does your pre match routine involve listening to The Smiths?

I know picking on Jinky is the sport of choice, but he is correct. We are a dull watch, there's a high percentage chance we'll see the same players doing the same things and learn nothing new.

That can be defended by the result is the only important thing or that Nuno knows what he has in other players because he works with then everyday, but I think you'd struggle to make the case that it's entertaining

I know picking on Jinky is the sport of choice, but he is correct. We are a dull watch, there's a high percentage chance we'll see the same players doing the same things and learn nothing new.

That can be defended by the result is the only important thing or that Nuno knows what he has in other players because he works with then everyday, but I think you'd struggle to make the case that it's entertaining
Why does everyone think 'we' need to learn about new players, I understand the clamour to witness the introduction of the new Moutinho but doesn't anybody trust Nuno's opinion of what he sees in training and whoever he chooses in the matchday squad ?

Anyone expecting wolves Vs Burnley to be entertaining is being incredibly optimistic

That's what I've said in my second paragraph Paul

Depends on what you are personally looking for, if it's Nuno's team doing the same again which may end in a narrow win and that's all that matters then that's fine I'm not criticising it. Personally, with nothing to play for I'd like to see something different for my own interest/entertainment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back