• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Burnley (H) 25/4 Build Up & Match Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Why does everyone think 'we' need to learn about new players, I understand the clamour to witness the introduction of the new Moutinho but doesn't anybody trust Nuno's opinion of what he sees in training and whoever he chooses in the matchday squad ?
Because we have an opportunity to see new players with no consequences. It makes sense to me to have a look at them up against some tough teams who still have something to play for while we don't. I'm pretty sure Nuno has already made his mind up whether to sign Vitinha but it would surely still be useful to see how he handles the likes of Burnley West Brom? I realkt don't know whats going on with MGW, its a chance for him to have a run in the team and imo at 10 where he looks most likely to succeed, would also give Nuno a chance to see us with a 10 if that is his plan for the future.
i just don't understand what we have to lose giving these kids a go.

Now we are over the 40 point mark if it were to be the 11 of 12 players most expect in a 343 or version of then that tells you that finishing as high up the league as we can is the priority over anything else. Just depends on whether it's Nuno who's choosing to do that or whether it's coming from higher up. With the losses from Covid it's conceivable he's been told to maximise revenue. Each place is worth £1.8m (or at least was last year), so if you say our best case is 9th and worse 17th then there's a £14.4m spread across those positions.

What about credibility from and respect for other clubs, given what we've seen in the last few days? How would we feel if a club in mid-table fielded a team of kids in a match against our rivals for promotion, relegation, titles?

I agree that we do need to have an eye on prospects, but we also have to hold the competition and our fellow clubs with a suitable level of authenticity.

What about credibility from and respect for other clubs, given what we've seen in the last few days? How would we feel if a club in mid-table fielded a team of kids in a match against our rivals for promotion, relegation, titles?

I agree that we do need to have an eye on prospects, but we also have to hold the competition and our fellow clubs with a suitable level of authenticity.
Its a squad game these days, I'm not saying play half the u23's, our squad players happen to be (expensive) youngsters, so I don't think starting 2 of MGW, Vitinha, Otasowie, is disrespecting the competition/other clubs.
City made 8 changes last night, no-one questions that.

I don't think anyone is advocating playing the under 23's. Most would be happy to see 1 or 2 given a chance.

Agreed - just wanted to say it's about balance of our own wants against the sanctity of the competition.
Its a squad game these days, I'm not saying play half the u23's, our squad players happen to be (expensive) youngsters, so I don't think starting 2 of MGW, Vitinha, Otasowie, is disrespecting the competition/other clubs.
City made 8 changes last night, no-one questions that.

We invested heavily (not just money) in young players last summer, it's hardly betraying the PL to want to see them in competition, it's obviously a big part of our strategy. It'd be weirder to not play any of them. It wouldn't hurt to see more of the likes of Morgan and Owen in the first team too.

I'd say we'll learn more seeing all these players in competitive PL matches rather than just in training.

We might do, it seems Nuno thinks he might not.

Agreed - just wanted to say it's about balance of our own wants against the sanctity of the competition.

I'd say our own wants vastly outweigh some vague notions of sanctity, especially in a league as self-serving as the PL

Sure, but we're just giving our opinion. And is Nuno (or any manager in fact) above making the wrong call? I'd say this season says not

I did (do?) think of this season as a "transition" season but I still want us to finish as high up the league as possible.

Sure, but we're just giving our opinion. And is Nuno (or any manager in fact) above making the wrong call? I'd say this season says not
Perhaps, but 12th with the injuries we've had (and still have) is probably about as good as could be achieved. Certainly if we'd have had a poll at the start of the season on position with no Raul I suspect that might have been on the upper band of expecations.

Yeah thats the nub of it, maybe he doesn't think they're up to it yet but to me it makes sense to give Moutinho a break, poor old bastard has played plenty of minutes since he's been here and also if Podence is injured don't need to play him till he is.

Perhaps, but 12th with the injuries we've had (and still have) is probably about as good as could be achieved. Certainly if we'd have had a poll at the start of the season on position with no Raul I suspect that might have been on the upper band of expecations.

He certainly deserves credit for our points haul over the past couple of months, and he can do what he wants with his players, I'm just saying he's not beyond being questioned, and we're allowed to disagree with him in terms of personnel and team selection...

I did (do?) think of this season as a "transition" season but I still want us to finish as high up the league as possible.

How are we transitioning if we're still using the same players and formation we've had since we got promoted? With our goal difference and Leeds having a game in hand I'd be surprised if we get much higher than we are, and I'm not sure anyone below us is going to go on much of a run now.

I don't think anyone's talking about chucking Sondergaard and Richards in, or even Hoever. It's not unreasonable to want to see Vitinha and MGW get 30-45 mins here and there, and maybe the same less frequently for a couple of the others, and I don't see why such an approach would have much negative effect on our points haul. If anything, we may even have some attacking improvement with the two I've named, especially as Moutinho is more of a steadying presence than anything now, and Podence isn't quite at the races

He certainly deserves credit for our points haul over the past couple of months, and he can do what he wants with his players, I'm just saying he's not beyond being questioned, and we're allowed to disagree with him in terms of personnel and team selection...

How are we transitioning if we're still using the same players and formation we've had since we got promoted? With our goal difference and Leeds having a game in hand I'd be surprised if we get much higher than we are, and I'm not sure anyone below us is going to go on much of a run now.

I don't think anyone's talking about chucking Sondergaard and Richards in, or even Hoever. It's not unreasonable to want to see Vitinha and MGW get 30-45 mins here and there, and maybe the same less frequently for a couple of the others, and I don't see why such an approach would have much negative effect on our points haul. If anything, we may even have some attacking improvement with the two I've named, especially as Moutinho is more of a steadying presence than anything now, and Podence isn't quite at the races
Weve seen different personnel, tactics and formations this season.

Yes, I've been watching the games too. But we've have no momentum and little consistency with any of this.

There's a lot more to learn imo, and we've been quite cautious and predictable for a while now. Perfect time to learn more in a competitive environment till the end of the season if you ask me, and take those lessons on into pre-season and beyond.

Yes, I've been watching the games too. But we've have no momentum and little consistency with any of this.

There's a lot more to learn imo, and we've been quite cautious and predictable for a while now. Perfect time to learn more in a competitive environment till the end of the season if you ask me, and take those lessons on into pre-season and beyond.
Hence the transition? It hasn't worked and we ended up getting involved in the relegation discussion.

It's hardly surprising Nuno went back to what we know and then results followed. Whenever we've tried anything different results have suffered or injuries have made it impossible (sometimes both!).

It takes a brave manager to knowingly not put out his best team in the PL with how much prize money is at stake for each position.

Who do you want as next Wolves manager?

Who do you want as next Wolves manager?

I'm in no rush to see Nuno leave. I just think it's perfectly fine to question a manager, even a good one.

I've thought for a while Ruben Amorim could be a decent option succession-wise.

I think Timmy Spiers said we'd be 5th based on results post Arsenal. I know only the full season counts but I'd see Arsenal as the turning point of our season and the time (bar a few blips) we got our heads back on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back