• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

[Carabao Cup 3rd Rd] Wolves 1-0 Leeds: Verdict Thread

Nice to win :) Good to book a match in for Julen before the first league match. Obviously it was mainly woeful, and our front 3 are an ‘attacking lineup’ only in the same sense that Menswear were a musical lineup but, as has been said above, great to win a game.

Just got in from the game. Poor in the first half from both teams. Better in the second half from us. Ronan and Hodge did well for me. They didn't stop running and tackling all game. Booby the same when he came on and his finish was cracking from a nice Podence cut back. Hopefully a win boosts the confidence a bit. A note on the fans. We all really need to get behind the team for the whole match. The Leeds fans were noisier than ours for 85 mins. And our range of songs is crap too.
I too would like Lembikisa to be more involved with the first team. His first touch of the game got the crowd up and he played a couple of nice touches.

Last edited:
Jonny looks totally and utterly done. He can’t even pass it 5 yards. Collins isn’t looking anything special at the moment. Honestly if you’re offering me him or Saiss on a 6 month loan I’d pick Saiss.

Front 3 were rubbish, Guedes was trying though. RAN does 2 things well then gives it away. Campbell nowhere near this level.

Ronan takes a good corner but still we don’t get anywhere near them. Miles out of his depth otherwise, ran around a lot though which was good.

Limped past Leeds reserves who bought on more reserves whilst we bought on 3 players who will start on Saturday. Keep it less than 3 Saturday then see what JL can do.

Just got in and read the match say thread. Got to say I disagree with lots of the comments.
Thought we played ok mostly, some quite nice football at times but our final ball and decision making was poor as usual.
Second half we were better and deserved our goal and the win.
Collins and Kilman were jittery again but got a clean sheet.
Satkic kept us in it first 5 minutes.
Ronan was a iffy at first but grew into the game.
Thought Hodge was very good.
Jonnys best game for a while, a couple of underhit passes but fine apart from that.
I actually thought the much maligned front 3 did ok. All 3 offered themselves for the out ball and stretched Leeds defence. Hwang looks much better down the middle.
Bouba and Lembikisa did well when they came on, Traore took his goal well.
To me it looked like there's enough there for JL to work with, with a few reinforcements in January.

Just got in and read the match say thread. Got to say I disagree with lots of the comments.
Thought we played ok mostly, some quite nice football at times but our final ball and decision making was poor as usual.
Second half we were better and deserved our goal and the win.
Collins and Kilman were jittery again but got a clean sheet.
Satkic kept us in it first 5 minutes.
Ronan was a iffy at first but grew into the game.
Thought Hodge was very good.
Jonnys best game for a while, a couple of underhit passes but fine apart from that.
I actually thought the much maligned front 3 did ok. All 3 offered themselves for the out ball and stretched Leeds defence. Hwang looks much better down the middle.
Bouba and Lembikisa did well when they came on, Traore took his goal well.
To me it looked like there's enough there for JL to work with, with a few reinforcements in January.
I went as well and all things considered I thought we did ok. I also thought Hodge played well. I've no idea why some on here don't seem to like him. Of course the main take away from this evening is we clearly need a decent striker but what's new about that.

I went as well and all things considered I thought we did ok. I also thought Hodge played well. I've no idea why some on here don't seem to like him. Of course the main take away from this evening is we clearly need a decent striker but what's new about that.
I mean I'm comparing it to the last 5 or 6 games so it's faint praise really.
Something I like lately and particularly tonight is when we try to play it out from the back, we look to play the ball forward more, especially via the full backs and despite their lack of quality on the ball all 3 of Traore, Guedes and Hwang tried to stretch the Leeds defence. Hopefully we've seen the last of the horseshoe of doom.

Great to see three Irish players starting in a senior match for Wolves . We've had our fair scattering of Irish players over the years , but I'm not sure if three have started in the one side before - or if they had it's probably a long time given the number of International players now playing in England .
Great also to see the young players get their chance to start the game , 3 of them starting and two more coming on as subs . If you are given the chance to start a match and stay on the pitch for a large part of the match , then it's up to yourself after that to grab it .

Will be interesting to see what Lopetegui does with the younger players .

Delighted for Boubacar , he was the arrival this Summer that got the least coverage , and yet he might well prove to be the best signing of all .

As for the result - it's a win folks , and these days those commodities are quite rare , so lets appreciate it . We're brittle in confidence and clearly are not fit enough , lots of work for the new coaching ticket .

How did Sarkic look?
Sarkic was good for the most part.
Kept us in it first 5-10 minutes, good saves from a deflected free kick, then a couple from point blank range from corners
Flapped at one cross, came and got a good punch on the next one. Distribution was poor though.

Sarkic was good for the most part.
Kept us in it first 5-10 minutes, good saves from a deflected free kick, then a couple from point blank range from corners
Flapped at one cross, came and got a good punch on the next one. Distribution was poor though.

His distribution really annoyed me. About 7/8 times he had an easy quick roll out to Kilman or Collins and we had overloads wide but he waited 5/6 seconds and either rolled it to them after Leeds had got into position or lumped it.

Happened countless times under McCarthy
Yes , that's true . Different regime then , we had far less of an International flavour to our team then . Wasn't as long as I thought . Still great to see .

His distribution really annoyed me. About 7/8 times he had an easy quick roll out to Kilman or Collins and we had overloads wide but he waited 5/6 seconds and either rolled it to them after Leeds had got into position or lumped it.
Yep that was definitely his poorest area.
A couple of times Guedes got on his bike when Leeds were all pushed up, first time he dallied too long, second time he over armed it about 30 yards in front of him.

One small thing from Wednesday evening that should not go unnoticed .

When Boubacar scored I loved the reaction , the way in which he almost immediately went over to the dugout and celebrated with the players who had been substituted and the management team . It displayed a great sense of spirit in the squad that has been missing for a while . The reaction as well after the game towards him as he came off the pitch was great to see . Everyone was happy for him and the victory that it brought , rather than it just being a relief that we had won .
One of things that we will need most of all if we are to climb out of the relegation zone is strong team spirit and camraderie . Those signs were good .

Back