• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Cardiff 2 -1 Wolves: The Pantwetting Verdict.

This is nonsense. Helder Costa has no credit in the bank at all. Yes, he's been a good player, but at Championship level. That's like saying your horse is entitled to win the Derby because it won a handicap at Newmarket. If you watch the game from last night Costa's sole contribution was a facial expression which was exactly the one we all used in the playground when the big boys took the ball off us.

Hardly nonsense, you judge players based on their performances at the level they were playing at and the standard of the level. There is an obvious gulf in quality between the Prem and Champ but I'm hardly comparing us and Stourbridge, am I? Costa was evidently a good player in the Championship and we know he can be, and he did take a number of months to adapt to it. For that reason I'm willing to be a bit more patient as I know that he could develop into a good player for this level. Look at threads from last season or the season before and you will see lots of us predicted Helder to do well based on his performances as he looked like a player capable of making the step up. If Championship performances mean nothing then we should write off most of our team as shit immediately, might as well bring Danny back from Boro too as his poor performances won't work against him a different league either.

Hardly nonsense, you judge players based on their performances at the level they were playing at and the standard of the level. There is an obvious gulf in quality between the Prem and Champ but I'm hardly comparing us and Stourbridge, am I? Costa was evidently a good player in the Championship and we know he can be, and he did take a number of months to adapt to it. For that reason I'm willing to be a bit more patient as I know that he could develop into a good player for this level. Look at threads from last season or the season before and you will see lots of us predicted Helder to do well based on his performances as he looked like a player capable of making the step up. If Championship performances mean nothing then we should write off most of our team as shit immediately, might as well bring Danny back from Boro too as his poor performances won't work against him a different league either.
Sorry. But wasnt Adama a good player in the chumps too?

He was with Pulis ball. Because that was the only way they played. Pulis ball and release the Traore.

We also know that with Villa in this division he was not so good.

He needs to learn a way to make his ability work in OUR system and in this division. Which looks like it is going to take him giving a lot more in the way of workload than he did at Boro, where it was easier for him to shine. I hope he can, but at the moment, I am concerned about the situation. Fingers crossed is the way I feel, and I think we need more than that from our record signing.

Anyway, this needs to be in the Traore thread. As Jinky said, EVERY verdict thread seems to roll straight into this, so a special place to discuss him has been set up. Let's use it for any further discussion for now at least.

Do we need a Troare sub forum like the current affairs one :)

What happens when he starts the game?
He will have to be called Adama else you will all get banned.
Not a bad thing as the matchday threads are mostly full of shite anyway ;)

I've watched every game this season, and I must say that we are not getting the level of performance that I expected, a few games anyway. I've been very disappointed with Costa and it maybe controversial to say, but I think we won't see the Costa of old again.

I've watched every game this season, and I must say that we are not getting the level of performance that I expected, a few games anyway. I've been very disappointed with Costa and it maybe controversial to say, but I think we won't see the Costa of old again.
Agreed, but I hope he turn it around

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

The Costa of old is a bit of a misnomer, pre-injury Costa was under Lambert and under totally different instruction with a traditional full back behind him than Costa now with wing-backs.

We've seen countless times this season, Man City, United, Arsenal and Spurs that when the shackles come off he's still that player and had made some of the best defenders in the league look stupid.

My eyes aren't closed to how poor he was on Friday (right up there for worst individual wolves player performance I've seen) or even games like the Spurs first half but there's much more context to it than he had a 4 month injury 18 months ago.

Not sure I agree with that mate - your finishing ability isn’t remotely affected by who’s playing behind you. Pre injury his finishing was electric, post injury it’s been very poor.

Not sure I agree with that mate - your finishing ability isn’t remotely affected by who’s playing behind you. Pre injury his finishing was electric, post injury it’s been very poor.

Walnut wasn't talking exclusively about his finishing was he? I read it as though talking about his all-round play.

True - but his finishing was a big part of what made him so special. He scored some beauties and it made defenders really nervous because if they didn’t commit he could hit a screamer, which in turn made it easier for him to skin people.

He’s still got some of the dribbling ability, but back in those days we played largely on the counter attack which really suited him, getting the ball with back to goal as he is so much at the moment really doesn’t.

The main thing that irritated me about Costa on Friday was the Neymaresque way he threw himself to the ground every time anyone came near him, he needs to cut that out. Other than that he just looked devoid of confidence as some of our others do at the moment. Jota needs to come back in now if nothing else he will graft and get up and down to support Vinny. I would also keep Traore in the side but not down the middle he needs to play wider and get the ball in front of him, hes shocking with his back to goal.

By the fact that Nuno said "it wasn't a difficult decision" when talking about omitting the Donck I am guessing we won't be seeing him any time soon. Saiss wasn't as bad as pre-season but he looks far from confident there and the supposed upgrade in quality of distribution wasn't there against Cardiff.

I always think you should judge a manager when you hit a sticky patch so lets see what happens from here.

Back