• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

ChatGPT Picks the Best Wolves XI of the 1990s

Sedgley Wolf

Reaction score
I've been researching ChatGPT and its uses for work and thought I'd have a mess around. I asked it to pick the best Wolves XI of the 1990s, and this is the result. (Thought we could do with a bit of light relief after last week)

"Here's my pick for the best Wolverhampton Wanderers XI of the 1990s"

1. Mike Stowell (Goalkeeper) - Stowell played for Wolves from 1985 to 1995 and was a key player during the 1990s, making over 300 appearances for the club.
  2. Keith Curle (Right-back) - Curle joined Wolves in 1992 and was a regular fixture in the side during the 1990s. He played over 100 games for the club and was a strong and reliable defender.
  3. Tony Daley (Left-back) - Daley was a pacey and skillful winger who could also play at full-back. He joined Wolves in 1994 and played over 50 games for the club, helping them win promotion to the Premier League in 1995.
  4. Paul Butler (Centre-back) - Butler was a commanding centre-back who joined Wolves in 1995 and went on to make over 150 appearances for the club. He was a key player in their promotion-winning side of 1998.
  5. Darren Ferguson (Centre-back) - Ferguson joined Wolves in 1994 and played over 100 games for the club. He was a solid and dependable defender who formed a strong partnership with Butler.
  6. Steve Bull (Forward) - Bull is one of Wolves' greatest ever players and was a prolific scorer during the 1990s. He scored over 200 goals for the club in total and was a key player in their promotion-winning sides of 1992 and 1998.
  7. Robbie Dennison (Midfielder) - Dennison was a talented winger who joined Wolves in 1991 and played over 150 games for the club. He was a key player in their promotion-winning side of 1992.
  8. Paul Cook (Midfielder) - Cook was a hard-working midfielder who joined Wolves in 1992 and played over 150 games for the club. He was a key player in their promotion-winning side of 1992 and also helped them reach the play-offs in 1995.
  9. Don Goodman (Forward) - Goodman joined Wolves in 1991 and was a prolific scorer for the club during the 1990s. He scored over 60 goals for the club in total and was a key player in their promotion-winning sides of 1992 and 1998.
  10. Steve Froggatt (Midfielder) - Froggatt was a skillful and creative midfielder who joined Wolves in 1997 and played over 50 games for the club. He was a key player in their promotion-winning side of 1998.
  11. Mark Atkins (Midfielder) - Atkins was a tough-tackling midfielder who joined Wolves in 1990 and played over 200 games for the club. He was a key player in their promotion-winning side of 1992 and also helped them reach the play-offs in 1995.
Pick the bones out of that bad boy. I'll start. A Pies Butler/Darren Ferguson centre-half partnership. Blimey.

I'm also a big fan of the casual historic inaccuracies, such as making up Butler joining us five years early to shoehorn him into the side. Not to mention the famous promotion-winning sides of '92 and '98. Maybe McGhee wasn't so bad, after all.

I've done some trials recently for another AI chatbot (an easy way to make a few quid for not very much effort). They are er, not very good at the moment :D

Same as how miraculously Google Translate hasn't quite put me out of business yet.

Hard working Paul Cook?! Maybe at getting to the pub by 5pm.

The shit they haven't released to the public is genuinely scary.

GPT 3.5 (what ChatGPT uses now), well... It's like a child. At least it picked actual Wolves players. 😂

EDIT: On a whim, I gave it a shot at "all-time". Here's what it gave.

1. Bert Williams (Goalkeeper)
  2. Derek Parkin (Right-back)
  3. Billy Wright (Centre-back)
  4. Joleon Lescott (Centre-back)
  5. Phil Parkes (Left-back)
  6. Kenny Hibbitt (Central midfield)
  7. Ron Flowers (Central midfield)
  8. Steve Bull (Forward)
  9. John Richards (Forward)
  10. Peter Broadbent (Attacking midfield)
  11. Johnny Hancocks (Winger)
CB pairing is improved! Interesting choice with just the one winger, though.

Tough tackling Mark Atkins, stick a fork in it :ROFLMAO:

The 2000-2010 XI wasn't quite as interesting: it just picked Mick's Championship-winning side but thoughtfully paired Lee Naylor with Karl Henry in midfield.

I asked it about PlayStation Face.

Overall, Goncalo Guedes is widely considered to be a talented and exciting player with the potential to become a top-level player in the future.

amy-poehler.gif

The 2000-2010 XI wasn't quite as interesting: it just picked Mick's Championship-winning side but thoughtfully paired Lee Naylor with Karl Henry in midfield.
I asked it to do this in a 4-2-3-1 and it said "nah, you're getting Kenny Miller and SEB up top anyway". :ROFLMAO:

GPT 3.5 (what ChatGPT uses now), well... It's like a child. At least it picked actual Wolves players. 😂

That's not bad actually.

Looks like it picked Saunders as manager with that formation, though.

They did pick a goalkeeper at left back (not that you would know who that is, he left Wolves before I was born let alone started watching us)

Phil parkes left back?

Ninja’d by the not even born whipper snapper.

They did pick a goalkeeper at left back (not that you would know who that is, he left Wolves before I was born let alone started watching us)
It's just prepping us for the next big thing in football: quantum tactics. Now our players can be in two positions at once!

That's not a bad effort, but erm, a goalkeeper at left back is slightly controversial.
I'm assuming by 'all time' they mean up to the 90s.

"Daley was a pacey and skillful winger who could also play at full-back. He joined Wolves in 1994 and played over 50 games for the club, helping them win promotion to the Premier League in 1995."

ChatGPT is useful, but not this kind of stuff......yet!

I like that Atkins and Cook only helped us to the playoffs in 95, but it was Daley who took us up that year. Apparently everybody else was on a break, only going up in 92 and 98

"Daley was a pacey and skillful winger who could also play at full-back. He joined Wolves in 1994 and played over 50 games for the club, helping them win promotion to the Premier League in 1995."

ChatGPT is useful, but not this kind of stuff......yet!
One of the only times I saw my dad properly lose it at Molineux was when Stowell threw the ball out to Daley for a quick counter, only for Daley to continue running up the pitch without looking at the ball once. It rolled up to him, hit him on the back of the leg and went out for a throw-in.

I was quite young, but I don’t have great memories of his time at Wolves!

The idea of signing Tony Daley was fine, if he'd been anywhere near his best he would have been far too good for the second tier. Quality player for Villa.

However he was already broken physically and we were told not to sign him, then did it anyway.

The idea of signing Tony Daley was fine, if he'd been anywhere near his best he would have been far too good for the second tier. Quality player for Villa.

However he was already broken physically and we were told not to sign him, then did it anyway.
Indeed.

The one time I remember Tony Daley actually looking like, well, Tony Daley was in 1995-96 v Derby at Molineux where he basiscally completely destroyed them. He was utterly brilliant that evening, even though he was clearly running with a limp.

If we'd have had that player plus Froggatt (and preferably Mark Walters too) available throughout 1994-95, we'd have utterly walked the divison.

Going back to the original purpose of the thread, how does Google Bard compare (just got early access, this is my first question to it of course!). Early insights...well, firstly it only picked ten players and when I then specifically told it to pick eleven, it picked nine instead 🤔

Here is my pick for the best Wolves XI of the 1990s:

Goalkeeper: Paul Jones

Defenders: Phil Parkes, Joleon Lescott, Kevin Muscat, Paul Ince

Midfielders: Kenny Hibbitt, Ron Flowers

Forwards: Steve Bull, Robbie Dennison, Andy Sinton

This team is a good balance of attack and defense, with a strong midfield and a prolific front line. Jones was a reliable goalkeeper who kept a number of clean sheets for Wolves, while Parkes and Lescott were solid defenders who helped to keep the opposition out. Muscat was a hard-tackling defender who was also good in the air, while Ince was a key player in Wolves' midfield. Hibbitt and Flowers were both talented midfielders who could control the game, while Bull was one of the most prolific goalscorers in Wolves' history. Dennison was a talented winger who scored a number of important goals for Wolves, while Sinton was another talented winger who was also good in the air.

Back