• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 0-0 Wolves: Verdict Thread

Well, I suppose I'll take a point but I think I'd rather it was 2-2 than what we saw tonight, clean sheet or no. It was obvious after 5 minutes that the false 9 wasn't working and - as DW days - we've tried it three times now and it has failed every time.
I've two worries from tonight - one is how frustrated Neto is getting. The other is that I don't automatically see it as a springboard for Palace. Think it is very difficult to go from a game where you have set up for 0-0 to go suddenly being on the front foot.
Its not so much setting up to be different, its just reverting to what we generally do under Nuno. Pop in a forward who can be a pain in the arse and hold the ball up and the game changes and it looks like we have him. Not a bad cameo for someone who was on a Ryanair flight this time yesterday

Reset button pressed tonight and season starts v Palace, for me.

Can’t be arsed to comment on tonight’s match too much - but not surprised by how many people are trying to justify the lack of attacking intent because we got a point. I understand why we did it, but like my mate text me during the second half - our performance stunk of a chirpy league one side playing away at a PL side in the FA cup. As others have said, the end justifies the means & all that.

Slightly worried by the visibly clear frustration Neto is showing. Desperately needs some support and hopefully Jose offers that. Decent little cameo by him, coming on in a difficult match.

Would love a comprehensive 3-0 win against Palace now.

I think he will be a very good right sided centre back in the long run. In a back four he'd be good too, he's a cleverer footballer with the ball than he showed tonight (or against Chorley).
I’m not sure - theoretically, he’s good in the air, not slow, can tackle, and should be able to play out progressively, but he’s been a lot like Saiss when he’s played in defence - decent for 90% of the game, and then gives away a goal by switching off, not tracking a runner or the ball going over his head.

if kilmans not going to be the answer, then we should buy a proper defender that can join in the build up play.

Reset button pressed tonight and season starts v Palace, for me.

Can’t be arsed to comment on tonight’s match too much - but not surprised by how many people are trying to justify the lack of attacking intent because we got a point. I understand why we did it, but like my mate text me during the second half - our performance stunk of a chirpy league one side playing away at a PL side in the FA cup. As others have said, the end justifies the means & all that.

Slightly worried by the visibly clear frustration Neto is showing. Desperately needs some support and hopefully Jose offers that. Decent little cameo by him, coming on in a difficult match.

Would love a comprehensive 3-0 win against Palace now.
If we rock up at Palace and play the same way then we can all wear the same the concerned face and remove the justification for tonight. Certainly won't be so many people saying what they are right now if Saturday is a mirror of tonight

Broken record time for me but how we do from here depends a hell of a lot on WJ settling in very quickly indeed

Last edited:
Does anyone else think OO deserves a shot in the Dendoncker position?
Have actually been crapping on about since before Xmas but I guess most people have me on ignore or don’t want to be seen to agree with me 😂😂🍷🍷

His first touch took him backwards pretty much, it was really poor. needed to go forwards and out of his feet so he could get the shot away.
Will have to re watch. Thought the touch went forward but he was moving quicker than how far the touch went forward. Either way CHO did well still

Have actually been crapping on about since before Xmas but I guess most people have me on ignore or don’t want to be seen to agree with me 😂😂🍷🍷
I think with 3 ATB he does, I'm not sure when we play 4 ATB

I thought Donk was dreadful. We need a midfielder who can actually play football as a midfielder.
Amen to that. I`ll take a not pretty to watch point away to Chelsea all day long until we get players equal to their calibre. I hope the players gain confidence from that performance. I like the look of the new guy from what little we saw of him. I think we may have turned a corner.

Yeah I think the evolution will be paused now and we will witness the normal Nuno style until May now and reset with a proper preseaon.
think there were very short spells though of what Nuno is trying to develop. For example the move after 30 mins that won us our first corner was a really slick team move. I also liked the dead ball routines without Moutinho.
Hopefully we'll reign in some of the transition, but still be trying some things. We had a good 10-15 mins at the end of the first half, and a couple of decent counters 2nd. couple of short sharp interplays between pod/neto/traore too tonight, so perhaps things are starting to happen.

Amen to that. I`ll take a not pretty to watch point away to Chelsea all day long until we get players equal to their calibre. I hope the players gain confidence from that performance. I like the look of the new guy from what little we saw of him. I think we may have turned a corner.
You have to go back to what you know and reset. This was about getting back to solid at the back. When you keep losing, however good you play it is a confidence sapper. From Nuno's interview they went there with a game plan, which was clean sheet above everything else. Now with WJ up front i think we will have such a better set of options. Turning a corner is what i would say too.
This was a MUST get result. Happy they went to this option.

And even though Nuno says they don't look at the table, i'm sure they did, and said wtf, we're 14th!

Needs must I suppose tonight. But it was difficult to watch at times (most of the time). Thankfully there was not a Man U like late kick in the balls but I don't wanna watch too many games like that.
+ Semedo, Podence (welcome return back from injury) and Neto.
- Nuno's tactics, perhaps.

For all the criticism of the way we set up it seems a lot of people are overlooking the fact that Pod and Traore played as if it was there first time they'd ever seen a football, let alone tried to control one. If two of your front three rate a charitable 4.5/10 you aren't going to look anything but garbage going forwards. Add in the the white things with a net on have the same effect on Donk as a mirror does on a vampire and it is just as well we set up to be solid at the back as Plan A, Plan B and Plan C!

Agreed
Rui
Donk Coady Boly
Hoever Neves Otasowie Samedo
Traore WJ Neto

I reckon that’s a three point team v palace.
Donk back there means we don't lose the "potential" goal threat at set pieces and was where he slotted in so admirably, when he made the long awaited appearance in the old gold, two seasons ago. However, I'd give RAN another chance against Palace. So RAN at LWB and Semedo at RWB. Otherwise, looks good to me.

Donk back there means we don't lose the "potential" goal threat at set pieces and was where he slotted in so admirably, when he made the long awaited appearance in the old gold, two seasons ago. However, I'd give RAN another chance against Palace. So RAN at LWB and Semedo at RWB. Otherwise, looks good to me.
Fair enough . Palace have left us more space than any team this last year so let’s hope that continues.

Back