• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

Our fans very much are entitled, though I personally haven't previously called you or anyone that on this thread.

I do think it's bizarre that people are starting to question key squad members and indeed our entire style of play when we've just finished 7th for the second year in a row.

Oh and we can beat anyone, you have to be realistic though. If you'd been offered that points return at the restart I suggest you'd have taken it.

There was a great tweet posted on my timeline yesterday that sums it up nicely.

It was accompanied by a screenshot of the table at 32 games when we were level on points with Utd, 5 points ahead of Sheff Utd, 6 points ahead of Arsenal and 7 points ahead of Spurs.

I genuinely don't get why people get so precious about some of the comments on here. It's ok to appreciate where we have come from, but to also acknowledge our short comings. That doesn't make anyone "entitled". It's the same after every single game and is extremely tedious to read through - no offence.

If you go back six games further, we were 4 points behind Spurs with 12 games left. So it was a pretty impressive achievement in itself to have got us into that situation, IMO. 23 points from the last 12 is pretty excellent form. As is the 16 from 9 we got after the restart. It just so happens that it wasn't quite enough to get top six.

It's also extremely tedious that people can't wait to jump on how we 'must' improve or it's "not good enough" as soon as we lose or draw or a game. We are a really good team going in completely the right direction under current management.

Our fans very much are entitled, though I personally haven't previously called you or anyone that on this thread.

I do think it's bizarre that people are starting to question key squad members and indeed our entire style of play when we've just finished 7th for the second year in a row.

Oh and we can beat anyone, you have to be realistic though. If you'd been offered that points return at the restart I suggest you'd have taken it.

Completely agree with this.

I think the same issues that we have had for two years still remain.
1. No Raul back up
2. Only play one way
3. Lack of real quality in the squad so substitutes actually weaken the team even if you're taking off a knackered player

9 of our first team have played over 30 premier League games this season. I can't find Any team with that number.

We didn't lose 6th yesterday. It was always a tough ask to win at Chelsea. We did look a bit stale and lacked any zip or snap.

Hopefully a break now until Olympiakos . We absolutely have to approach that game with a positive mindset. If we try this contain for an hour and hit them on the break we will deservedly come unstuck. Go for the win and expect to concede.

If you go back six games further, we were 4 points behind Spurs with 12 games left. So it was a pretty impressive achievement in itself to have got us into that situation, IMO. 23 points from the last 12 is pretty excellent form. As is the 16 from 9 we got after the restart. It just so happens that it wasn't quite enough to get top six.

It's also extremely tedious that people can't wait to jump on how we 'must' improve or it's "not good enough" as soon as we lose or draw or a game. We are a really good team going in completely the right direction under current management.

I don't think many are 'waiting to jump on how we must improve' just people giving their opinion on how we might improve. Surely everyone wants to improve? I love where we've got to over the last 3 seasons but its addictive and I want to be pushing for the top 4 and eventually top spot, I realise it won't happen overnight but don't think its entitled to talk about how this might be achieved. Nuno might go about it in a completely different way to what everyone else thinks which of course is fine but if you expect fans on a forum to not give their opinion, you are always going to find it tedious

I think the same issues that we have had for two years still remain.
1. No Raul back up
2. Only play one way

Whilst agreeing we need a Raul back up option 2 isn't really an issue when you you have 2 top 7 finishes, A European run and a possible 2nd season in that Comp is it? If that way is generally bringing you success, you stick with and then upgrade the bits that are letting you down.

I don't think that's the case. We are all aiming to get better as we all agree that we are not the finished article. To do that requires a greater level of squad quality as Nuno wants a small squad. Those two issues are critical to recruitment. We have no Doc cover , we have only one centre half as Saiss and Coady are converted midfielders as is their back up Dendonker, We have a right footed left wing back and one centre forward. I don't think it's negative or critical to highlight this as ongoing concerns as it's been ongoing for two seasons. Did we really need more wing cover in Podence? He seems a good buy but surely that was not the position to further strengthen. Now you cannot force players to come here I know but I really hope for another decent centre half, a right wing back and a back up centre forward.

Coady has been great this season but his worse two games are probably both v Chelsea where Abraham and Giroud gave him a hard time.

I do not want this to be as good as it gets.

None of that relates to what I said?

I would also look at those areas to improve the squad. The squad should be improved year on year, whichever level we're at. I was looking at comments from earlier today where there's a list of players who are apparently going "stale" but this is news to me. Comments where apparently we need to change our entire approach.

Whilst agreeing we need a Raul back up option 2 isn't really an issue when you you have 2 top 7 finishes, A European run and a possible 2nd season in that Comp is it? If that way is generally bringing you success, you stick with and then upgrade the bits that are letting you down.

Until it doesn't work and we have no chance to change. I don't want us to be known as the comeback kings as even then, you still lose more than you win. I want an option to be on the front foot at appropriate times and to have the depth of personell to make the subtle changes.

And example could be Podence as a number 10. Dropping into the hole to feed a front two. That could work against teams who come for a point , the Brighton's of the league.

Well we have used the number 10 option before with Neto so we are not a rigid team. We have areas to improve and upgrade, 100% no doubt on that but it is difficult to read stuff that comes across as if we have finished in 17th 2 years in a row rther than 7th. You may not mean it that way but that is how it looks

I don't think many are 'waiting to jump on how we must improve' just people giving their opinion on how we might improve. Surely everyone wants to improve? I love where we've got to over the last 3 seasons but its addictive and I want to be pushing for the top 4 and eventually top spot, I realise it won't happen overnight but don't think its entitled to talk about how this might be achieved. Nuno might go about it in a completely different way to what everyone else thinks which of course is fine but if you expect fans on a forum to not give their opinion, you are always going to find it tedious

I guess I just don't understand what right we have to say "it's not good enough", "Nuno MUST do better" type comments personally. It baffles me.

We are pretty much a top six performing (emphasis on the word performing) team, have been both seasons we've been in the league. But for a slow start (4 pts from first 6 games) this season, we absolutely would have achieved it too really.

We just need to continue evolving, something that while we have Nuno in charge I don't see stopping anytime soon. We don't need wholesale changes, the squad size hasn't really been an issue at any point either, we just need to keep improving the quality of the players in the squad.

Well we have used the number 10 option before with Neto so we are not a rigid team. We have areas to improve and upgrade, 100% no doubt on that but it is difficult to read stuff that comes across as if we have finished in 17th 2 years in a row rther than 7th. You may not mean it that way but that is how it looks

Oh well

In the words of young Mr Grace " you have all done extremely well"

I guess this is as good as it gets then.

It amazes me that however much credit I give it gets ignored but plenty love to dish out feedback when I am critical. If you tell a child not to climb on a chair in case they fall off they have a choice. Don't climb or try again. If they do climb and fall off can you not say to the child you were warned? We have kicked this can around for two years and it can get frustrating. Perhaps I am just a really bad loser.

Oh well

Do you actually read anyone's replies to you? Your responses are genuine gibberish at times.

Kenny literally said "we have areas to improve and upgrade". So did Dan, so have I.

I could sleep soundly at night if reliable top 7 finishes and runs in Europe were as good as it gets, personally.

I hope for more, honestly, but we've done fucking well for three seasons on the bounce now.

Oh well

What? You really are impossible to chat with. On the whole I am agreeing with you but just pointing out your style makes your point of view seem overly negative (mine be over positive, I don't know) but if you don't want to read that and stick to your "I am in a minority on this forum" mantra then go ahead.

What? You really are impossible to chat with. On the whole I am agreeing with you but just pointing out your style makes your point of view seem overly negative (mine be over positive, I don't know) but if you don't want to read that and stick to your "I am in a minority on this forum" mantra then go ahead.

So let's get this straight because I am confused
You
YW
DW

All agree with me?

I don't know what you're asking me to agree with.

Do I want us to bring in 3-4 players that will contribute to the first team next season? Yes. By contribute I mean do more than Vallejo, Cutrone, MGW and Kilman have managed this season as they either never play or have already gone.

A lot of the other stuff you're going on about, I don't really understand but I am quite a simple man.

That comment isn't being critical of the players, Dan. It's simply pointing out that those particular players are not getting any younger & therefore they are unlikely to be better next season that this. I don't think that we need to change our entire approach: I do think that an xG of 0.21 yesterday is very disappointing. Similarly, as others say, Moutinho may be the best player many people have ever seen play for Wolves, but he's 34 early in September & it's fair to point that out.

I understand.

There's always improvement to be made (I'd say Neves, Rui and Raul would be three we'd very much struggle to upgrade, but everyone else is a level below that, Joao purely on the basis of age) and of course there needs to be succession planning at every stage.

But I fear we're getting to a situation where people seem to think we're going to bring in 4-5 new players to plug into the first team and that simply won't happen. And when it doesn't, they start flapping around...

I don't think this "sign a number 10" thing is the catch-all that some seem to think it is either. Smacks of "we need an Ince-type midfielder to me". There are various types of number 10*. I don't think either Podence or Neto are that player personally. No-one knows if we could or couldn't fit them into how we play. We don't pass through the lines in the opposition half very often.

*Dave Edwards has probably played more games for us in that position (at least nominally) than anyone in the last 20 years...

I guess I just don't understand what right we have to say "it's not good enough", "Nuno MUST do better" type comments personally. It baffles me.

We are pretty much a top six performing (emphasis on the word performing) team, have been both seasons we've been in the league. But for a slow start (4 pts from first 6 games) this season, we absolutely would have achieved it too really.

We just need to continue evolving, something that while we have Nuno in charge I don't see stopping anytime soon. We don't need wholesale changes, the squad size hasn't really been an issue at any point either, we just need to keep improving the quality of the players in the squad.

Yeah I don't like the 'not good enough' 'Nuno must do better' type comments, but tbf they are few and far between and even then said in heat of the moment match day thread. I agree with everything else you say and I think most others on here have similar views

We have no Doc cover , we have only one centre half as Saiss and Coady are converted midfielders as is their back up Dendonker, We have a right footed left wing back and one centre forward.

Saiss has played there for plenty of games and plays there for his country, he's as much a CH as a CM. As for Coady, suggesting he is a CM after the last two seasons is comical. I suppose you still thin k Stephen Ward is a forward? If our LWB is right footed I'd suggest that if the need arose he could cover RWB.

Clearly we all want to see improvements but you need to base your argument on firmer ground than this!

Back