• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea 2 - 0 Wolves: The Verdict

I just don't see the point in choosing an analysis that ignores factors such as who the games were against, players injured or returning, short-term form, impact of VAR etc - we play a season for a reason.

Because it sums up why I, and some others are slightly disappointed. It’s been a good season (and will be an excellent season if arsenal lose), but my hopes went up that we’d be somewhere between 4th and 6th when we only had six games left because we were in such a good position, but the results in those six games weren’t as good as I’d have hoped so we’ve finished seventh. At the start of the season I’d have taken seventh, with six games left I thought we had positioned ourselves well for more. I’m not sure why it’s so hard to grasp tbh.

Because it sums up why I, and some others are slightly disappointed. It’s been a good season (and will be an excellent season if arsenal lose), but my hopes went up that we’d be somewhere between 4th and 6th when we only had six games left because we were in such a good position, but the results in those six games weren’t as good as I’d have hoped so we’ve finished seventh. At the start of the season I’d have taken seventh, with six games left I thought we had positioned ourselves well for more. I’m not sure why it’s so hard to grasp tbh.

......because you're comparing apples with oranges! I'm out......

I am really dissapointed we did not get top 6, it was there for the taking.

We really need to pressure the top 6 to get in.
Somewhere along the timeline we have to be dissapointed in a 7th finish that started today.

How many season before we can be unhappy in finishing 7th

......because you're comparing apples with oranges! I'm out......

Mate, I genuinely don’t know what point you’re trying to make?

None of those games were unwinnable. Arsenal, sheff Utd, Chelsea and Burnley are difficult sure, but you wouldn’t necessarily predict one point from them.

Mate, I genuinely don’t know what point you’re trying to make?

None of those games were unwinnable. Arsenal, sheff Utd, Chelsea and Burnley are difficult sure, but you wouldn’t necessarily predict one point from them.

How many points did you predict against Man City?

All you get from banging your head against a wall is a bruise.

It is completely valid that people will see the same thing from different perspectives. I am in the jinky PQ ND glasgowolf camp that given where we were after lockdown we could have done better and that if you don’t shoot enough on target you won’t score enough.

I respect the other opinions I just feel a bit flat to lose out at the death. It’s the same feeling I had after leading Watford 2 1 with a minute to go and losing. It does feel like a kick in the nuts.

Meh.

We beat the teams we should have done but struggled against the better teams. Story of our season.

I'm a little disappointed because we had a chance, but it wasn't an easy one and I'm not going to wallow because we didn't do it.

It’s the same feeling I had after leading Watford 2 1 with a minute to go and losing. It does feel like a kick in the nuts.

Losing yesterday doesn't even come within a million miles of the Watford game at Wembley. If that was a kick in the nuts then yesterday was barely a waft of wind across them.

Losing yesterday doesn't even come within a million miles of the Watford game at Wembley. If that was a kick in the nuts then yesterday was barely a waft of wind across them.
Losing in the Semi final was WAY worse than yesterday!

That’s not what I meant. The last 6 games felt that way not just yesterday

No we haven’t but it’s not in our hands apart from winning the EL and it was with 6 to go
It was still in our hands on the final game.

Our points return since lockdown has hardly been bad. Spurs were lucky enough to have Kane & Son back and went on a run that they hadn't had all season previously.

If you want to look at the last six games then Burnley was where we blew it. We were in complete control until the last 5 minutes and should have seen the game out.

Oh, and Watford felt way, way worse. I still haven't been able to bring myself to watch any highlights of that game.

I'm in the 'somewhat disappointed' camp at the moment, not just because we might not qualify for Europe but because, if we don't, I expect it to be harder to attract our preferred transfer targets, which will be a setback to building on what has been achieved so far. If Chelsea win on Saturday, I'll be moving to the 'not very disappointed at all' camp.

It's only natural to feel disappointed when a target that was (or at least appeared to be) achievable without too much difficulty isn't met, but 'success' and 'failure' are always relative to context. It's why Leicester fans in fifthwill be feeling worse than us if we both qualify, why Villa are ecstatic at finishing 10 places below us and why the PL runners-up probably feel they've had a poor season. We base our expectations on what we have now, not what we would have been happy to have two or three seasons ago. We didn't cut our wrists on here when we were in L1, we just considered each game as it came and supported the team as best we could while we were in it. That's what will happen next season too, with or without European football, but for now I don't see why we can't vent a bit for missing out on QR2 qualification and putting our European fate in Chelsea's hands. If nothing else, it will pass the time until Saturday.

You should have said double six. Christ that topped the day off beautifully

This 6 games to go metric seems to conveniently forget the 3 before. I think you can look at all 9 games as a segment but not just 6. We got 16 from 9, which is a point more than I thought we'd get and I'd suggest what most would have taken beforehand. We won more and lost more than I thought we would.

You should have said double six. Christ that topped the day off beautifully

Been in worse places than that before - that game was a real kick in the nuts though after getting so close.

Wouldn't neccesarily have beaten City, but we wouldn't have rolled over as Watford did

Back