• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Chelsea Build up and Matchday thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

lemonjelly

Housecoat, la
Reaction score
Don't we have one?
Unsure if I ever started one before. If we end up in 7th, blame me :)

3-4-3
Usual back 4
Doherty - Neves - Moutinho - Jonny
Traore - Raul - Podence

Seems harsh on both Jota and Neto (and to an extent Dendoncker, who has been in very good form recently). However I see those 3 likely being brought on.
Wouldn't be averse to Donck starting instead of Moutinho, as it worked so well vs Everton.
Neves has to start. For me he's been pretty brilliant since January.

I think scoring first will be critical in this game. Will give whoever such an advantage in how they control the rest of the match. As a result, I'd like us to start on the front foot, rather than playing a containment game.

Which will be quite decent preparation for the EL games...

This weeks predictions have been done with the heart rather than head (well I'm not winning it anyway) - agree first goal is important so want them to go in hard from the start.

Not our usual pattern, though that might just unsettle Chelsea.

Echo Paddy - just fecking win!!

The fact they only need a draw will hopefully make them a little cagey and allow us to get the upper hand early on. If we can score a rare first half goal we'll be in good shape.

No reason for Donck to lose his place at the back.

Same team as vs Palace for me.

Don't believe that we lose anything with Donck at the back rather than Saiss so no real reason to change it after a clean sheet last time

Referee

Fucking Shatwell

That’s 10 men and a penalty down already then.

Could be worse . But not much

They can't sit back and play for a draw their defence isn't good enough, although Kante playing is disappointing. Having played Palace this week we know they are highly likely to lose and 7th is in the bag so no reason to not be a bit adventurous. Podence and Neto for me as the wide forwards. Adama and Jota on after 60 mins

Referee

Fucking Shatwell

That’s 10 men and a penalty down already then.

Could be worse . But not much

Since that appalling game v Middlesboro in the Championship, Attwell has refereed Wolves six times in the Premier League and we have only lost once, Tottenham at home this season. More to the point, he has refereed us three times against London teams (Palace, Spurs, Arsenal) in London this season and Wolves have never lost. I was a severe critic of Attwell three or four seasons ago but he has improved a great deal in the last two seasons. We could do far worse. Would you want that showman, Mike Dean? I'd like to see him retired but the problem is that there are so few referees up to PL standard at the moment. In my view, even Michael Oliver has dropped in performance somewhat and only Anthony Taylor has the high consistency required for such competition. That's why Martin Atkinson is still refereeing, they can't afford to lose his solidity, even if he's short of breath most games.

So, I'm hoping Attwell's record of being fair with Wolves will continue and that Wolves will win in London again against Chelsea. Even if it turns out differently, what Wolves have achieved this season is absolutely outstanding.

Agree there and a brilliant summary. I've taken a few deep breaths when I've seen its Attwell but generally he's been as all good refs should be - anonymous.

I said during Bournemouth I can't believe Oliver was supposedly the best we have. Very poor.

Coote on the other hand I wouldn't trust reffing Billbrook u12's.

Marriner always gets bad rep on here but I think he’s one of the best going. Isn’t whistle happy, let’s a lot of minor stuff go and then applies that consistently. Basically don’t blow for many fouls and you don’t make a mistake.

Whereas Coote, Bankes et al. Will blow for a nothing foul somewhere and then when the same thing happens somewhere else once the pitch or to the other side and not give it.

Since I first learned that Chelsea away was our last game of the season, I have never had one shadow of a doubt that we will win it. No idea why, but looking at it now, I think they are likely to bottle their need for a point to make CL than we are to get sixth place. Am very confident and have a roast lamb dinner planned to accompany the game. UTW!!!

Chelsea will get into the CL even if they lose imo. Utd taking a couple of goals lead will help

https://gonbys.com/chelsea-1976/

I think we'll get a result -- and the only result is a win, really. It won't be caution to the wind though. We don't do it like that and I don't think it would help us if we did. We came out guns blazing against Chelsea at Molineux and it wasn't a pretty sight after forty minutes or so.

https://gonbys.com/chelsea-1976/

I think we'll get a result -- and the only result is a win, really. It won't be caution to the wind though. We don't do it like that and I don't think it would help us if we did. We came out guns blazing against Chelsea at Molineux and it wasn't a pretty sight after forty minutes or so.

We played the usual way against Chelsea. Literally nothing happened for 30 mins until the freak Tomori goal (which Rui could have literally caught). Then after that everytime they came forward they looked like scoring and did score because our defence was Adama - Vallejo - Coady - Saiss - Jonny.

That right hand side was a train wreck and as a result Coady’s defensive frailties were getting exposed. They didn’t hammer us because we attacked them, they hammered us because we gifted them literally every goal

It’s been quiz night tonight so I’ve been chatting with my brother (Chelsea fan) and my son (Arsenal fan) and Gerry in quietly confident that they’ll turn us over while Mike is really hoping we get the result so that them winning the Cup stuffs Spurs up...

I’m at Gerrys for the game so it will be, erm, interesting!

I will say, however, that Gerry has a soft spot for Wolves and if it could be guaranteed that they get Champions Leage and we qualify for Europa, he would take that

I hope Nuno goes with the same team again, they deserve to keep their places

Like Pavlo above I will be slow-cooking lamb shanks while the game is on. It's the wife's birthday today and after being taken to the Crusaders game last year, what an unexpected birthday bonus she has today. The same team as started against Palace for me, although it wouldn't surprise me to see Jota start. I'd definitely keep Donk at the back. Don't want Romain Saiss on a yellow from the 10th minute...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back