• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Climate Change Debate

don't the air turbines steal all of your wind?

We're doing pretty well on the Climate Change Performance Index:
8uHJ3C9.png

The US not so much

could have gone on the theresa/dave at it again threads, but more relevant here:
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/mar/06/high-court-rules-governments-fracking-guidelines-unlawful
the court found that it was material to consider scientific evidence, including the effects on climate change, in deciding policy on fracking, and the government had failed to do so...
Mr Justice Dove also criticised the way the public consultation was carried out, calling part of it “so flawed in its design and processes as to be unlawful”.

The judgment also suggested that gas from fracking might not be considered a low-carbon source of fuel, which could also hamper attempts to expand fracking around the country.

imagine what they'll be like after the brexit bonfire of regulations eh?

At least another week of protests planned for London.

Hope the message sinks in. Probably not. We are still a nation of high meat eating, plastic using, non recycling electric guzzling muppets with our heads in the sand unfortunately, in the majority of cases. The only way it stops is with tough legislation. Ban plastics that are not bio de gradeable, mandatory smart Meters, mandatory solar panels on social houses, flats , brink back the glass bottles for a deposit! Proper plans to tackle food waste.

Virus with shoes at times, the human race.

What a load of ill informed, uneducated horseshit.

This is the problem when people spout off about things they don't understand and think their opinion means something. It's not just you Cyber, it's this ridiculous state of people who want to ban everything and solve nothing.

What a load of ill informed, uneducated horseshit.

This is the problem when people spout off about things they don't understand and think their opinion means something. It's not just you Cyber, it's this ridiculous state of people who want to ban everything and solve nothing.

Lols!

Thanks for that. Climate change denier.

I will keep doing my bit to stop it and hopefully reverse it.

Seems to me that the responsibility is being put on the individual. That is all very well if the individual is an intelligent and responsible person, a lot aren't.
Regulation needs to come from the top and be aimed at big business. No chance of that as there are too many at the top with vested interests.

We are still a nation of high meat eating

Doesn't matter how much meat we eat unless you are talking about the health benefits to the human race. Meat can be replicated at a cellular level and grown in labs on a mass scale and even 3D printed for people that want their steak in the shape of a a ball. Not an animal in sight and grown for about the same price of leaving your lights on overnight. The issue is animal husbandry to feed the growing numbers humans on the planet and until the number of humans is kept in check or reduced then methane and other related emissions in the food chain will continue to rise.

Solve feeding the populous and it makes no odds how much meat you eat.

plastic using,

Again it is nothing to do with using plastic. It is such a lazy uneducated answer. There are big challenges with plastics, namely pyrolysis. Pyrolysis is the ability to break down plastics into energy and waste parts that can be recycled. There is heavy investment from our own government but more so from the EU (the thing you voted us out of) to make this commercially viable. Plastic use does not absolve people from littering. If people don't litter then plastic waste will be reduced substantially.

Plastics are also used to replace materials so structures can be lighter or stronger or perform better. With the increase in the abilities of plastics and nano-composites that can be used as fillers we can replace materials which damage the environment during production, such as concrete and steel

Plastics are also recyclable and the increase in recycling plastics and the technology to do it enable us as a human race to be more creative with process.

Bio-degradable plastics that turn into compost are one way forward but really we want to turn plastics into things, whether that be materials that can be reused, road surfaces to replace tarmac or even pencils instead of using wood. Again the EU has set aside funds for this challenge to be met (what did you vote us out for again?)

non recycling

See above

electric guzzling

Guzzling electric is far better than fossil fuels, there are hugs strides being taken in energy generation, from solar, wind and wave to water to water treatment and the above mentioned pyrolysis. Branson is looking at a combined nylon/ kerosene mix for jet fuel which would cut carbon emissions disproportionately. There is solar paint for your house and road marking, roof tiles that have solar cells, regenerative road cells so when a car rolls over it it charges a battery roadside which in turn allows microcharging from cats eyes.

Electric vehicles need better battery lie and the answer may not be with them unless they are on rails. Shell (ironically the company these muppets attacked the other day) have pumped over $2bn into heavy water which can fuel hydrogen cells which could replace the internal combustion engine. Keeping the supply chain in tact and not damaging the automotive industry or motorway infrastructure.

Again the Eu have set aside funds to solve these problems

muppets with our heads in the sand unfortunately, in the majority of cases

Education, Edukation, Edukshun.

The only way it stops is with tough legislation.

Nope, see above, this is a short sighted solution from those without imagination

Ban plastics that are not bio de gradeable

Nope, see above,

mandatory smart Meters

Why when the answers are above,

mandatory solar panels on social houses flats,

Not a bad idea but they will be outdated fast and unless heavily subsidised by the govt unaffordable,

brink back the glass bottles for a deposit!

Why?

Proper plans to tackle food waste.

We already have anaerobic digestion to tackle this. If local infrastructure were in place to take food waste directly to a facility then it would work far better. As it is government have cut subsidies to this as well

Finally, don't call me a climate change denier because I don't agree with you. Go and educate yourself.

1.Doesn't matter how much meat we eat unless you are talking about the health benefits to the human race.
Health benefits are one thing as obesity and heart disease and diabetes levels are continuing to rise alarmingly in the UK. 70% of the world’s total animal population is domesticated ( Source Sir David Attenbrough). If you reduce the amount of meat you eat to within guidance ( 2 or 3 days off meat each week) the demand decreases so production will decrease so numbers will decrease. You get less methane and a positive aid to public health. I have not eaten meat for 3 years. My son also runs his own farm shop and farm so I do understand the animal husbandry and its difficulties.

plastic using, Again it is nothing to do with using plastic. It is such a lazy uneducated answer-
Yes I should have been clearer. The issue I have with plastic is single use disposable plastic that is not biodegradable. An example would be a dog poo bag. They should be mandatory biodegradable as they are single use, destined for land fill and contain a decomposing substance. That also applies to supermarket wrapped products too. All that should be biodegreadable. The fact it isn’t means that its time for legislation to mandate it, even if it puts a couple of pence on the item. And for those items where manufacturers claim a biodegradable product will effect the produce within then cans or glass should be used. But don’t get confused with this issue and the membership of the EU as they are separate. I can still vote Green should I wish when we have left.

3.electric guzzling -Guzzling electric is far better than fossil fuels, there are hugs strides being taken in energy generation, from solar, wind and wave to water to water
Your answer doesn’t refute that we are a nation of electric guzzlers. That is fact and demand will increase. Smart meters are there to help educate ( or eduK8 if you prefer). Unfortunately the way we generate electricity is fossil fuel or nuclear in the main and neither are popular in the UK. Some scandanavian countries burn rubbish to create electricity. Personally I would be looking at new build house lighting to be 12 volt and solar powered as a start. That would dramatically cut winter usage for all. The cleanest fuel for the current petrol engine is LPG. I have converted two of my petrol cars in the past for this reason but was a bit suckered into believing the hype over diesel a few years bac. I will revert. Electric is not there yet with range. I cannot afford a TESLA

brink back the glass bottles for a deposit! –
Most of the litter appears to be single use plastic fizzy drink bottles. If they were 10p buy back all the kids would become litter pickers for pocket money. It worked well in the 70’s for baldrey and corona bottles!
We waste 24 million slices of bread per day – that’s just the UK. Its enough for a slice for every adult every day. Irresponsible use by dates do not help with a number of items. I think there should be a third grading Best before, still ok until, then use by. Use by should only be when there is a proven health issue such as food poisoning

Finally, don't call me a climate change denier because I don't agree with you. Go and educate yourself.
Once again I think you do agree with me in the majority of ways . You just bounce straight on in on the offensive. My tongue, however was in my cheek with that comment. As you say cant upset sensitive souls

To answer your post:

1) I have no idea why you've rambled off into health benefits when I have explained a solution to meat consumption.
2) I have answered that above and why I think your statement is flawed. PYROLYSIS is the answer here.
3) I have given you an answer on electric generation being changed to greener forms of energy and how. You're suggestions are 10 years old.
4) The answer is to stop people littering, do you think they would not litter for the sake of 10p?

It's almost as if you've read my post, ignored every single point I made and carried on repeating your original post with more words.

I have explained every single point you have made again and why it is refuted. Your suggestions are limited to your own knowledge, as are mine. There will be people and companies working on things you and I have never heard about and processes that are beyond your imagination.

Your suggestions were old hat 10 years ago and are simply not the answer now. Neither is demonstrating in London disrupting people's lives through anarchy. Fucking idiots.

4) The answer is to stop people littering, do you think they would not litter for the sake of 10p?

I say lets copy Singapore

Littering

Singapore is bent on maintaining its reputation of being impeccably clean, with an active campaign against littering and stringent enforcement in place. First time offenders who throw small items like cigarette butts or candy wrappers are fined $300. Those who throw out bigger items like drink cans or bottles are considered defiant and are required to appear before the court. The punishment usually involves a Corrective Work Order (CWO), where the offenders clean up a specified area while wearing a bright luminous green vest. The CWO was implemented in the hopes of making offenders realize the hardship cleaners have to go through to keep the surroundings clean, and to make them understand just how unsightly litter is. It is also admittedly aimed at publicly shaming the offenders to ensure that they don’t regress to being a litterbug again.

To answer your post:

1) I have no idea why you've rambled off into health benefits when I have explained a solution to meat consumption.
2) I have answered that above and why I think your statement is flawed. PYROLYSIS is the answer here.
3) I have given you an answer on electric generation being changed to greener forms of energy and how. You're suggestions are 10 years old.

It's almost as if you've read my post, ignored every single point I made and carried on repeating your original post with more words.

I have explained every single point you have made again and why it is refuted. Your suggestions are limited to your own knowledge, as are mine. There will be people and companies working on things you and I have never heard about and processes that are beyond your imagination.

Your suggestions were old hat 10 years ago and are simply not the answer now. Neither is demonstrating in London disrupting people's lives through anarchy. Fucking idiots.

goodbye

on to ignore you go. You could start an argumemt all by yourself then . have fun.

g'wan david attenborough!
In an interview with the former UN climate chief Christiana Figueres, the broadcaster and naturalist dismissed critics of the widely praised global movement of school strikes as cynics.

“[Young people] understand the simple discoveries of science about our dependence upon the natural world,” he said. “My generation is no great example for understanding – we have done terrible things.”

The protests by young people were enormously encouraging, Attenborough said. “That is the one big reason I have for feeling we are making progress. If we were not making progress with young people, we are done.”
https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2019/apr/26/david-attenborough-backs-school-climate-strikes-outrage-greta-thunberg

further to the above, i find there's an interesting distinction in the pelters being thrown at chris packham for doing pretty much the same thing.

We are where we are, coal, CCGT and nuclear will continue to dominate in tbe UK and beyond for decades.
Can you realistically dent that with renewables? I suggest not.
Globally those three primary sources will continue to grow, dwarfing any misguided effort to distort the market in developed countries. I see that Japan has now started a programme to restart it's nuclear facilities.

Britain has now gone 7 days without burning a single ounce of coal in its power stations. The first time since the industrial revolution....

Britain has now gone 7 days without burning a single ounce of coal in its power stations. The first time since the industrial revolution....

those were the days my friend, HGW thought they'd never end

Back