• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Climate Change Debate

at the risk of criticism here, it does interest me the coverage a natural disaster has on a relatively affluent white population gets, compared to the same in non-white areas/country's.

I guess that depends where you consume your media from - certainly Bangladesh has got a lot of coverage.

They need to look at the cars that get odd discounts as well

No idea if its still the same but when I had an Insignia, because it had an eco mode button my road tax for the year was £20. Without it, it would have been near the top end at the time. Don't think I ever pressed the eco mode button.

Hidden behind a paywall, unfortunately, Tredders.

Hidden behind a paywall, unfortunately, Tredders.
Free click!

Basically talking about how you pesky Americans may have cracked positive energy nuclear fusion.

We'll find a way to weaponize it within the hour, I'm sure. 😂

It's Mid-december, yet whilst out today noticed a lot of oak trees still with leaves on. Also sycamores, beech and birch trees. Even a couple of willows.
Isn't it late for trees to still be having leaves still on?

It's Mid-december, yet whilst out today noticed a lot of oak trees still with leaves on. Also sycamores, beech and birch trees. Even a couple of willows.
Oaks are usually the last to lose leaves and often have some leaves on in December. All species seem to have kept leaves much later than normal which is almost certainly a reflection of how mild it has been until last week. The ash in our garden still had some green leaves on a week ago which is a first since we moved here in 1999.

Beech trees hold their leaves. There are a few around our house and we end up with as many shed leaves in Spring when the new growth pushes them out the way as when the first start turning brown in autumn.

Next door's beech hedge looks really good through winter clinging onto it's coppery leaves.

I did know oaks are the last to lose their leaves. Interesting how many others do mind.

Not sure if you guys are paying much attention to the 2023 ULEZ expansion, but this is going to swallow everyone up eventually and it’s only a matter of time before something similar finds it’s way to you.

The Ulez expansion comes into force on 29th August this year. £12.50 a day to enter unless your vehicle is exempt:

81184194-A4C4-4C31-B162-809F995071FF.jpeg

Suddenly vast numbers are being pulled in and there are significant protests. Sadiq Kahn is for many a hated man and with the cost of living crisis the timings couldn’t be worse and the true cost of the green wave is being brought sharply into focus.

I’m not belittling the climate change argument, but have serious concerns about how this affects the poorer disproportionately and that motoring shouldn’t just become the preserve of the wealthy.

The pincer movement is the expansion of the zone AND the tightening of emissions planned. Unless you have the funds to purchase brand new and stay with the very latest technology you are effectively priced out - with limited resources an upgrade to a slightly newer, currently compliant car only buys you a little time before you are squeezed out again. That’s a cruel spiral that affects the poorest the most.

The new zone starts at a set of lights 2 miles from me. The motor is ‘currently’ compliant. I’m stroking my chin and pondering the next move. Seriously thinking ‘fuck it‘ and just going Zip Car. Maybe that’s the idea. Will probably just hold fire for a while.

Interesting to see where public opinion sits on this one, but rolling this out to the suburbs where transport options are more limited probably isn’t going to do the cause a whole lot of good.

Last edited:
On the flip side, I don't live in a city but do live on a busy road. I don't particularly enjoy me and my kids breathing in exhaust fumes from a constant flow of traffic coming past us as we walk to school. It's horrible and it blows my mind that in the year 2023 most cars still run on petrol or diesel.

However, if you are going to try to restrict car access to city centres then it would be a good idea to also have a functioning and affordable public transport system.

Back