• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Climate Change Debate

JCB are going big on hydrogen for their products, already got working models, running costs about the same as diesel, no different for fuelling, could be the way forward for trucks and big diesels

Im in the ULEZ expansion area and my car isnt compliant. TBH we've been thinking of changing car for a while, but this is going to force our hand. We can afford it, but lots of people cannot.

Problem is when you upgrade your car you are only buying yourself a little bit of time. Unless you can buy new and keep buying new it’s just a stay of execution and you’ll be picked off eventually.

It’s going to be great for those with the resources to effortlessly change and stay ahead, and it’s going to be great for those who don’t have or need a car, but those caught in the middle have a real problem.

The ulez expansion is bringing that into focus for people who were previously oblivious or ambivalent. It’s going to be very interesting watching as this rolls out to all of us eventually. As Khan is finding out attitudes change very quickly when it affects you directly.

Do you have to pay even if you live in the zones, then? Christ! I'd assumed residents got a free pass.

Do you have to pay even if you live in the zones, then? Christ! I'd assumed residents got a free pass.

“Even if you make a short trip inside the zone using a vehicle that doesn't meet the ULEZ emissions standards, you need to pay the £12.50 daily charge. This includes residents of the ULEZ.”

Imagine a situation where you can understand and maybe go with the clean air zone in central Birmingham, and then say, someone decides it should be extended to include Wolverhampton. And no one really gives a shit about the poor bastards that can no longer own cars or get about easily and who are are placated by a pat on the head and told its for their greater good.

Don’t get me wrong, I see all sides and am fortunate enough to be able to pick a route through this without too many problems, but in case you haven’t noticed have got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this one 😡

“Even if you make a short trip inside the zone using a vehicle that doesn't meet the ULEZ emissions standards, you need to pay the £12.50 daily charge. This includes residents of the ULEZ.”

Imagine a situation where you can understand and maybe go with the clean air zone in central Birmingham, and then say, someone decides it should be extended to include Wolverhampton. And no one really gives a shit about the poor bastards that can no longer own cars or get about easily and who are are placated by a pat on the head and told its for their greater good.

Don’t get me wrong, I see all sides and am fortunate enough to be able to pick a route through this without too many problems, but in case you haven’t noticed have got a bit of a bee in my bonnet about this one 😡
I'm surprised there's not blood on the streets.

I'm surprised there's not blood on the streets.

No blood yet but significant protests in London, Oxford and now Cambridge. All futile though as these changes are coming whether we like them or not.

Noticeable the changes are coming first to the affluent cities with major support from the climate-conscious wealthy and those that don’t have, need, or can’t afford cars. I’m just surprised Cambridge has taken so long to get its shit together. Start rolling things out further afield though and the dynamic changes.

Have to say, at least Oxford are playing it with a straight bat and cutting to the chase. Zero emission zone, no fucking about. No hybrids, no nonsense. You‘re comfortably off, you drive, everyone else can fuck off. I mean, at least you know where you stand.

As for the Ulez, worth noting any scrappage allowances are for brand new vehicles only. Those upgrading to ‘newer’ vehicles just send the old ones off into the trade to start again and spew their shit in unrestricted areas of the country. In a bored moment this morning I googled the reg of my upgraded old non-compliant vans, 08, 11, 14, and they are ALL still taxed and MOTed. Bloody hell, that 08 had done 145,00 miles when I got shot of it 9 years ago. God knows what that is chucking out. I’m not sure Sadiq Khan intended London to flush its dirty toilet on the rest of the country but until there‘s joined up thinking that’s precisely the sort of thing that will happen.

How you level that one up without crippling people is going to be an interesting watch. Unfortunately, I’m not sure those driving this really care.

That’s really interesting data. You can clearly see the peak late blossom at 120 for 1815 with the year of no summer after Mount Tambora erupted and a very clear pattern going the other way as the planet heats up since then.

Can't even argue it's for the benefit of the country /infrastructure/ security cos they're going to sell it on the international market.

Uxbridge signalled there is some remaining wreckage floating past and the drowning man is going all-out as there’s nothing else to cling on to.

I think there’s some validity in the feeling the relentless pro-green net-zero push is a net vote loser and there’s significant kick back against XR/JSO etc and the way the green tail has been allowed to wag the dog.

Sunak is tapping into that and is desperate to present net zero as some sort of lefty ideology of which the tax payer is now seeing the real cost, and to lure Starmer in to present Labour as the supporting face of that.

No chance that is going to be enough to be an election-saver, but I think Starmer is beginning to think the same and is doing very well to avoid the traps being set.

Last edited:
Back