• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Climate Change Debate

It's little surprise the richest nations are the biggest polluters. How else would they have got their riches, other than making things? The biggest problem is that there is a lot of "innovation" that has the potential to reduce carbon emissions, but governments and corporations aren't willing to invest in them. While I'm on my hobby horse, it's worth pointing out that the technologies that are funded, such as electric vehicles, aren't and won't be affordable by the poorer countries for generations.

One way to encourage innovation would be to make the polluter pay. If the manufacturing process were to incur extra cost due to environmental impacts, this would then create an opportunity for a competitor to make a less harmful product for less cost. This would obviously require global agreement and therefore would be unlikely to ever happen.

IMO things like ULEZ etc aren't ever going to make an impact because they're targeting the wrong people

It's little surprise the richest nations are the biggest polluters. How else would they have got their riches, other than making things? The biggest problem is that there is a lot of "innovation" that has the potential to reduce carbon emissions, but governments and corporations aren't willing to invest in them. While I'm on my hobby horse, it's worth pointing out that the technologies that are funded, such as electric vehicles, aren't and won't be affordable by the poorer countries for generations.
The report isn't about richer nations, but individuals.
The more £ you have, the more you pollute it seems.

Low emissions zones aren't primarily about global climate change, but localised air quality improvements, and there is plenty of evidence that they work for this aim.
That's a fair point, I picked a poor example to highlight my point.

I don't think we'll see any real change, globally, until producers are impacted rather than consumers.

Tice is such a thick cunt.

I do wonder what will happen with electric car use in this country. I can see it working down the east coast fairly well, and it probably does already to a decent extent but outback travel there aren’t exactly a lot of chargers and it isn’t the same as making up for the lack of petrol stations out there by carrying a couple of full fifty litre Jerry cans on the back of the Ute

apparently the UAE intended to use COP28 to instigate a load of oil contracts etc...

Whatever happened to HGW?
maybe still trying to work out how he got his maths so wrong on nuclear. though with elec prices so high surprised he’s not back to claim it’s no longer a subsidy.

Back