• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

No, we can't. But we will while the corpulent fuck is in charge.

So you may as well do nothing as he isn't capable of creating measures and safeguards that do anything. All you're doing is killing businesses and hurting people mentally and financially.

And I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.

Think about what you're literally asking here.

"Stay locked down for most of the next six months, don't do anything or see the people you love, because Boris Johnson is working on it".

I think I'll pass if it's all the same.

France in lockdown from Friday, although schools will stay open.

If they do this properly here (so you really are only allowed one support bubble, so one other household, that is it) then Fatso is going to essentially ask me who I want to see between now and Christmas. My Da, my brother or my girlfriend. Oh and they are the only three options, forget all your mates.

Please Boris, tell me how that is fucking fair on anyone and what you think that does to someone's mental health.

We can't not lockdown again, at some point hospitals will get overwhelmed.

We locked down way too long last time for sure.

A lockdown of 3-4 weeks I reckon would reduce cases enough that we could roll back restrictions again. Unfortunately it would end up being cyclical until we had a vaccine but that's better than a never ending lockdown

We actually came out too quick. London was falling but Liverpool and Manchester were not. But get London up and running and fuck the North.

Looking like Telford and Wrekin will definitely be in tier 2 by early hours of Saturday

Surely there was a point in the initial lockdown where everywhere fell to acceptable levels? Don't remember there being a period where there was talk of easing off but couldn't because of x, y or z places still trending upwards. Think Leicester was the first resurgence and seemed to be very much an isolated occurrence for a while.

The issues in North East and North West seem much more recent to me, a second surge the product of the easing of lockdown rather than an unsuppressed cell from the first wave.

I do find it interesting how attitudes have changed, not just on here, between the first wave and second wave. Things the government were being slated for not doing sooner the first time around are now seen as a terrible idea full stop, obviously some feelings borne out of personal experience of the first time round but think some of it is also sort of jealously/victim mentality to an extent because of the localised nature this time around.

Essentially Mark (and I'm not having a go, I'm just telling you):

- I live on my own and have no-one anywhere near me
- I have bipolar disorder
- I don't have a huge amount of work
- I have mates I've not seen for nearly eight months now. Could be another eight months or more before I see them again
- I've not seen my best mate for nearly four months
- I'm not going to the football, because there is no football in a spectator sense
- I have managed to form a tiny, tiny network of three people that I can see, which is helping me through this

If that final bit gets stripped away for no obvious gain (as lockdowns don't work if there is nothing underpinning it, which there isn't, and we know this) then I don't know if I can deal with it.

That's my rebellion, if you will. I don't think me seeing my Da for the football or having a drink with my girlfriend is really causing issues. You shut that off and you create another problem.

- I have mates I've not seen for nearly eight months now. Could be another eight months or more before I see them again
- I'm not going to the football, because there is no football in a spectator sense
- I have managed to form a tiny, tiny network of three people that I can see, which is helping me through this

If that final bit gets stripped away for no obvious gain (as lockdowns don't work if there is nothing underpinning it, which there isn't, and we know this) then I don't know if I can deal with it.

That's my rebellion, if you will. I don't think me seeing my Da for the football or having a drink with my girlfriend is really causing issues. You shut that off and you create another problem.

This is probably the wrong advice, but, you've gotta do what you've gotta do to get through this regardless of what Boris says.

There'll be plenty of people who won't follow the guidelines for way more frivolous reasons.

No, we can't. But we will while the corpulent fuck is in charge.

So you may as well do nothing as he isn't capable of creating measures and safeguards that do anything. All you're doing is killing businesses and hurting people mentally and financially.

And I don't see him going anywhere any time soon.

Think about what you're literally asking here.

"Stay locked down for most of the next six months, don't do anything or see the people you love, because Boris Johnson is working on it".

I think I'll pass if it's all the same.
Well thankfully he's not working on the vaccine.

I don't see how we can justify overwhelming the NHS just because it's inconvenient. If pandemics were great and made everything easier we wouldn't be worried about them.

The problem for me is they have left it too late to lockdown, again. The circuit breaker suggested by SAGE may have worked a month ago, but not now.

If we lockdown this week, and say it's for 3 weeks, in 3 weeks time the cases wont have dropped yet, and deaths will be higher than currently, and no way you can then leave lockdown

Well thankfully he's not working on the vaccine.

I don't see how we can justify overwhelming the NHS just because it's inconvenient. If pandemics were great and made everything easier we wouldn't be worried about them.
Fine. So mental health doesn't matter at all then?

I've just explained my situation above. If you'd like to square that circle then I'm all ears.

The problem for me is they have left it too late to lockdown, again. The circuit breaker suggested by SAGE may have worked a month ago, but not now.

If we lockdown this week, and say it's for 3 weeks, in 3 weeks time the cases wont have dropped yet, and deaths will be higher than currently, and no way you can then leave lockdown
Bang on, we should have done it for the extended 2 week half term as suggested ages ago.

Hertfordshire on a warning about going to tier 2. Currently 7 of 10 districts have an infection rate over 100 per 100k (with Broxbourne leading at 170). Essex had 6 of 12 when they went up.
Very worried generally, but additionally (and selfishly) as I work in hospitality, and we were starting to do relatively well after a dip when the weather turned.
Unfortunately there is no magic bullet and no solution that will suit everyone. A circuit breaker with a relaunched (and effective) TTI would probably have been a good idea overall, but seems that horse has bolted...

- I've not seen my best mate for nearly four months

It wasn't intended as a dig at anyone, certainly not on here although there obviously people/places in the wider populace that haven't really helped themselves.

You were in fact one of the people I was considering when thinking of those whose personal experiences would've altered their opinion, as I'd take a punt you were pressing for more assertive action back in March when we looked to be spiraling straight down the path already well trodden in mainland Europe. As you've detailed above you do have a rather more fragile environment due to the mental health conditions which you live with and the somewhat scattered nature of your support network makes it difficult to maintain those relationships when people's movements are restricted, so I can perfectly understand whilst you would be far from relishing the prospect of another spell of isolation.

Without wanting to sound too harsh, I would imagine the nature of this pandemic probably stacks the numbers considerably against your favour, the numbers of people at risk of serious illness as a result of coronavirus probably far outweigh the number of people in situations similar to yourself. Which will perhaps unfortunately for yourself see you marginalised in favour of the 'greater good' should the ever increasing number of local lockdowns not be considered to be making a meaningful impact on the current outbreak.

I've almost certainly at times taken for granted how easy it's been for me to get through this so far, a short spell working from home and couple of cancelled holidays aside I've generally been able to go about my usual business without too much impact. Still get some social element of work, though drastically reduced as the office has never been even half full since March, and pretty much all my hobbies are outdoor based so I've been able to meet mates to do those since lockdown was eased for the summer. Family occasions have probably taken the biggest hit, my own birthday included, but I'm not that close to anyone in my family really so it hasn't been a huge impact for me in that respect.

Ah mate, I know that I'm neither here nor there in the grand scheme of things. But it's the blasé attitude of "oh well it'll be inconvenient but we can do it" that I don't like. It's not inconvenient for me, it's life altering. I genuinely don't know if I can do it again.

I was tidying some stuff up yesterday and found the paramedics report when they got called here at 4 in the morning. That was five months ago. There have been some big steps then because seriously, I was that close to calling it a day altogether. Put me back in that position again (and I have more at stake now) and I don't know. I genuinely don't know. It's a hell of a risk.

I'm not saying it's easy to choose between protecting 85 year olds in care homes and 39 year olds with what they used to call manic depression. Neither are ideal. Just don't portray it as one should suck it up for the other because I certainly don't do it the other way.

Back