• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

It is for all of us. My grandchild arrives in a few weeks. Would quite like to get acquainted. My marriage is done. My social bubble is my wife. My solution is emigration to see my only other living family. No visas.
its the seeing the grandchildren issue that is the hardest one for us tbh, in your case, I'd be talking to mum and dad and if they're happy, I'd go into isolation for a bit and go and see your grandchild......obviously depends on your work situation. Yes I know it would be against the rules but if you're careful it would hurt no-one

And any hard lockdown HAS to be backed up by financial support for people to make it easier to adhere to. 40% of income for the self-employed is simply not good enough to make the self-employed comply. 60% furlough is not enough to make people comply. Yes, the financial implications for the economy are tough, but the way things are going now anyway the economy is screwed so you may as well at least try to save people's lives and livelihoods. Then in years to come tax the fuck out of the super rich who have avoided paying their fair share for too bloody long anyway.

Other areas....

Yorkshire and the Humber: East Riding of Yorkshire, Kingston-Upon-Hull, North East Lincolnshire and North Lincolnshire

West Midlands: Dudley, Staffordshire, Telford and the Wrekin

East Midlands: Amber Valley, Bolsover, Derbyshire Dales, Derby City, South Derbyshire, the whole of High Peak, Charnwood

East of England: Luton

South East: Oxford City

Everywhere around me is fucked. Surrounded by Tier 2 and a Nationwide lockdown but currently sat in Tier 1.

Worst kept secret on Telford & Wrekin, my daughters school were telling us about it 2 weeks before they broke up for half term. Amazed it's taken this long

Tier 2 for me then. No seeing family again. I may as well fucking stopped in America. Since I've come back the world's gone to pot.

I've followed this guy, Dr John Campbell for a while, he posts really good stuff about Covid. Today he talks about immunity

Going to see one of my son's this weekend whilst I still can as he's just still in tier 1 (as am I) but surrounded by tier 2 & likely to tip over shortly.

As to alternatives whilst any death is regrettable it's going to happen to us all one day & this primarily affects people over 65 or with serious health conditions.

Ask us nicely to restrict our activities (& most will) & I am capable of working out the risk level of different situations and do already take that into account in deciding what is sensible for me as I fall into the older age range.

Allow others more freedom otherwise we are going to trash the economy with large scale unemployment which means there is much less tax revenue to fund the NHS which all of this is supposed to protect.

Ageist? - no reality of life.

This is a news story from Blackburn from inside an ICU, it certainly gave me some perspective

West Yorkshire going Tier 3 from Monday.

I reckon we've got two weeks tops before we have the same fate.

I'm wondering whether by middle November we will be in a national lockdown, to be eased for Christmas?

It won’t be that long. I reckon all of West Midlands will be announced tier 3 early next week with implementation on Saturday at 00.01.

And then thousands will be on the piss for a last hurrah on the Friday

I'm wondering whether by middle November we will be in a national lockdown, to be eased for Christmas?
Hmmm. It’s a huge political backtrack for Alex and having to take a course called for by the opposition. He doesn’t like losing face.

problem is that's too late, for pretty much anything christmas related.
go into a proper form of lockdown, and the challenge will be that infection rates, confirmed cases, and deaths are unlikely to be falling/have fallen sufficiently.

Others have said earlier, a strict 2-3 week lockdown at some point during the past 3-5 weeks would likely have reduced the infection rate sufficiently to facilitate some relaxations over christmas.

These lot have prevaricated too much. A populist government isn't going to want to make harsh or difficult decisions, so as a result, no decisions have been made. As a result, all the numbers are going the wrong way.

One option might be to close schools earlier, and move all university teaching etc to online only from 1 december (as worth remembering that there are 2.5 million people likely to want to return home for the christmas period, and that is going to need managing. I can see the government at a very late stage telling students not to return home. They won't follow that advice, I see regular cases of students moving back home as things stand.)

The most likely consequence I can see, is a much longer lockdown from early january onwards, possibly lasting 2+ months, with the government blaming the population for the high number of cases/deaths, because we all mingled too much and visited each other over christmas. I feel a lot of people are going to see other family members over christmas tbh. I just hope many of them isolate for a couple of weeks prior if they can.

problem is that's too late, for pretty much anything christmas related.
go into a proper form of lockdown, and the challenge will be that infection rates, confirmed cases, and deaths are unlikely to be falling/have fallen sufficiently.

Others have said earlier, a strict 2-3 week lockdown at some point during the past 3-5 weeks would likely have reduced the infection rate sufficiently to facilitate some relaxations over christmas.

These lot have prevaricated too much. A populist government isn't going to want to make harsh or difficult decisions, so as a result, no decisions have been made. As a result, all the numbers are going the wrong way.

One option might be to close schools earlier, and move all university teaching etc to online only from 1 december (as worth remembering that there are 2.5 million people likely to want to return home for the christmas period, and that is going to need managing. I can see the government at a very late stage telling students not to return home. They won't follow that advice, I see regular cases of students moving back home as things stand.)

The most likely consequence I can see, is a much longer lockdown from early january onwards, possibly lasting 2+ months, with the government blaming the population for the high number of cases/deaths, because we all mingled too much and visited each other over christmas. I feel a lot of people are going to see other family members over christmas tbh. I just hope many of them isolate for a couple of weeks prior if they can.

Thing is, we only really need to drive down infection rates which would happen fairly quickly and that could be done in 3 maybe 4 weeks.

Once infection rates have been significantly reduced then everything else follows (people going into hospital, deaths etc) but there would be a time lag which may mean "opening up" before hospitalisations / deaths have finished falling. However, hospital admissions and deaths would continue to fall when lockdown has been lifted.

It would take crystal clear messaging from the govt in a way that people can understand, and I think that's where the problem would lie

Back