• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

Dido Harding now having to self isolate. That should see the test and trace figures improve a bit.

I'm finding this obsession with xmas tedious. I don't have a particularly close wider family, so admit I'm not as bothered as others may be, but it's either safe or it isn't. I don't understand the sense between opening things up for a few days just because of an arbitrary date and then living with the consequences afterwards as is being pushed by some and rumoured to be considered by Johnson at al
Not just an arbitrary date though is it, taking away the emotional side of it, think how many jobs and businesses will be/do rely on Christmas and the build up in particular.

No good for the national economy if the only people making money are the tax dodging online firms like Amazon.

Surely a 2020 with no Christmas shopping would be the final nail in the coffin to many a high street/town centre around the country.

I'm not saying that reason enough to ease restrictions even if they wouldn't normally (that's a big balancing act that needs to be considered) just pointing out its not as simplistic as just opening it up for people to have a 'Christmas day' in the way you suggested.

That’s pretty much how they are selling it. Increased bubbles of up to four households so you can have the family round. No guarantees on hospitality or non essential retail in hard hit areas.

They simply have to do something with hospitality, they are already going to lose a ton of money as there won't be big office groups having lunch through December, a lot of city centre places (particularly in Birmingham rather than Wolves) you can't normally get a table for love nor money all month, that just isn't going to exist. You can't just let them open from 18 December, say. No good.

I maintain we've used a very blunt instrument in a very inefficient way on this occasion (their definition of "non-essential" is laughable, you may as well not have it there). All it's done is annoy some people, outright hurt others and damage businesses.

Oh yeah. It’s been a shitfest. And the figures don’t actually seem to back open hospitality = huge increase in infection rate.

They don't and they never have done.

Places that follow protocol (ie anywhere decent) present very very little risk.

I’ve only been in the Hogs since this all started and on both occasions everything was as safe as could be. I’d feel safer in there than in a supermarket or at work.

Aye. They actually gave us a wee tour in there of how we had to walk about and what we could and couldn't do. It's a real kick in the balls, you do everything you're told to do and then they still say "nope, you have to shut". But schools are still open when they're plainly a massive vector. It's crazy.

Ideology trumping everything as per.

I have been using the Western. Not your favourite place I know Dan but it was safe as houses considering the size of the building. Protocols followed exactly and enforced. I’d rather be there than joining the scrum at Morrisons like I have to most days.

Ironically the only time I've been in a pub post lockdown and not felt secure was during the Eat Out to Help out scheme in Devon when they were cramming people in to take advantage of the demand.

And funnily enough on the point of my last post, I was supposed to go into work tomorrow for a coffee and a catch up with my managers (off long term sick at the moment) and my immediate manager has just got in touch to postpone, the opposite shift manager to me has tested positive (his wife works in a school and she got it first) so loads of them have had to go home and self isolate.
Wouldn’t have happened in the Hogs.

I'm finding this obsession with xmas tedious. I don't have a particularly close wider family, so admit I'm not as bothered as others may be, but it's either safe or it isn't. I don't understand the sense between opening things up for a few days just because of an arbitrary date and then living with the consequences afterwards as is being pushed by some and rumoured to be considered by Johnson at al
I understand the point. Personally, I'm not understanding why there is such a focus on making xmas decisions now. It's too early. But like you, I'm not as fussed with xmas and the huge get togethers.

However, I feel the government will be desperate to reopen shops etc from 3 december onwards, to give the economy a boost. Given so much trade/income is dependent on this season, I suppose I can see why, although I have my own reservations.

I feel the leaks today were a counter to SAGE and Independent SAGE members yesterday sending out a consistent line that xmas will be very different indeed, and critiquing the tier system heavily. Think the government wouldn't have been happy that shock horror, yet another deadline had been missed (Boris did say 13 weeks, autumn, and all over by xmas). It would also have spooked business.

I'm arranging to WFH for most of december, allowing me and mrs jelly to self isolate for 16-17 days, meaning my parents can come over. After they have been, I'll/we'll drop gifts off elsewhere from a distance. I'm doing that to keep them safe. Less worried about me, more worried about the risk I bring to them.

I feel there will be a lot of people who will be of the "fuck it, it's xmas" so will visit households.

Think the government know this, and a further lockdown in jan/feb is inevitable. Why extend furlough to the end of march when he did?

Think the government know this, and a further lockdown in jan/feb is inevitable. Why extend furlough to the end of march when he did?
Mainly because he got a lot of shit for the way the previous scheme was ended, despite the rise and then the introduction of the tiered system. Extending it to March just means when we go back to the Tiers you won't have days/weeks of fighting between local governement and Boris because the help is already there. Remember a week before all this, Manchester was being told there was not enough money to help and then bingo the forest of magic money trees was found.
We probably will have some more lockdown time but I don't think the Furlough scheme being set up until March was done with that in mind/

less certain myself. Your point is very valid, but doesn't exactly fit my agenda...;)

Well Boris has said things will be fine by Spring (ignore previous predictions of within 12 weeks and by Christmas...)

The vaccine popping up should help them. Already set for over 20 million to get stabbed and that is before the Oxford one is given the thumbs up (if it works the same as the other vaccines, then over 50m will have access to that one). Anyone confident that the Government will do this well and have a properly run programme with minimal issues?

Well Boris has said things will be fine by Spring (ignore previous predictions of within 12 weeks and by Christmas...)

The vaccine popping up should help them. Already set for over 20 million to get stabbed and that is before the Oxford one is given the thumbs up (if it works the same as the other vaccines, then over 50m will have access to that one). Anyone confident that the Government will do this well and have a properly run programme with minimal issues?
As long as they can get it to the GP I use effectively then yes - they managed a massive flu vaccination over a week using a centre (which was closed due to other reasons) to deliver.

Very smooth performance - the Phizer one needing to be super cooled will be an issue though.

Phizer one needing to be super cooled will be an issue though.
Phizer have sorted out the transport issue I believe so it can be delivered and stored at the right temp

The only issue we may face comes down to border controls when it arrives from the 1st Jan

I suspect it's probably shitty reporting from the Mail but seriously, fuck having another month of this nonsense in January so some people can play charades or whatever at Christmas. Not worth it.
The problem is, people are going to see family and mix households over Xmas regardless of the rules they have in place.

My hope is that they are putting this out there as a warning to not fuck about too much or we will be back in lockdown. Unfortunately I don't think this will be the case and, as we have discussed away from here, we will be back in lockdown in January

I suspect it's probably shitty reporting from the Mail but seriously, fuck having another month of this nonsense in January so some people can play charades or whatever at Christmas. Not worth it.
It's being carried by all the RWP, therefore a pretty reliable leak. It's also ill though out bollocks, you can be in a 4 household bubble so if I use mine as an example we can see my wife's mum + partner and 2 sisters + families. Therefore none of the 4 blokes can see any of theirs. Impossible to police and people will do as they please.

Back