• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

You want the r rate down then you need to really be looking at the schools. When they shut for the Christmas break it might be an eye opener.
Loads of kids are off school anyway, doubt it will make a huge difference - certainly pretty much every study has shown transmission between kids is very low.

Personally I've no issue with tighter tiered regulations following this lockdown but just don't see how they will police it, loads of people ignoring the current rules. While the governments handling of this crisis had been woeful, there are just too many of the population with no concept of personal responsibility.

It won't though will it, because they'll be seeing family during this time? Not just their household, but wider family.
My thoughts are that when kids go to school it results in tens or hundred of households mixing everyday.

If schools are shut but families get together it'll be less than 10 households mixing together

Loads of kids are off school anyway, doubt it will make a huge difference - certainly pretty much every study has shown transmission between kids is very low.
This is not entirely accurate. It has been suggested, on limited evidence, that transmission between children is lower that between adults but that it is also the case that children are more likely to be asymptomatic so it is harder to gauge their role in transmission as it is harder to know how many children have the virus. It may well be that children are more infectious than is currently understood or it may be that they are less. Any study I have seen comes with similar caveats...that there isn’t enough evidence to be sure.

Personally I've no issue with tighter tiered regulations following this lockdown but just don't see how they will police it, loads of people ignoring the current rules. While the governments handling of this crisis had been woeful, there are just too many of the population with no concept of personal responsibility.
But how much of that is down to the government failing to win people over and have them buying in to their strategies? Frankly, I think in that regard they have failed massively because of the way they have u-turned so much and had a 'do as we say not as we do' approach. Contrast that to the way the people of New Zealand who completely bought into their government's strategy, because it was delivered with honesty and principles. This shower of shit couldn't even spell honesty, let alone convince the public their policies were founded in honesty...

But how much of that is down to the government failing to win people over and have them buying in to their strategies? Frankly, I think in that regard they have failed massively because of the way they have u-turned so much and had a 'do as we say not as we do' approach. Contrast that to the way the people of New Zealand who completely bought into their government's strategy, because it was delivered with honesty and principles. This shower of shit couldn't even spell honesty, let alone convince the public their policies were founded in honesty...
So people haven't been won over into saving other peoples lives ?? You cannot keep comparing us to New Zealand because no country stands up to that comparison do they, regardless of political persuasion?
Over 55000 deaths and people are still queueing like sheep to get into BM bargains and The Range today, pubs are still getting raided for holding evening lock ins.
This government has made many, many mistakes in this saga but that neither an excuse or a reason for people to act as they are.

Like I said, the government have been crap gut that doesn't give people free rein to behave like fucktards

So people haven't been won over into saving other peoples lives ?? You cannot keep comparing us to New Zealand because no country stands up to that comparison do they, regardless of political persuasion?
Over 55000 deaths and people are still queueing like sheep to get into BM bargains and The Range today, pubs are still getting raided for holding evening lock ins.
This government has made many, many mistakes in this saga but that neither an excuse or a reason for people to act as they are.
Feel filthy saying it but this virus has me thinking Thatcher was correct. The headline maker of her speech was the "no such thing as society" but the wider speech was more than a bit pertinent

There are individual men and women and there are families. And no governments can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first. It is our duty to look after ourselves and then, also, to look after our neighbours. People have got their entitlements too much in mind, without the obligations. There is no such thing as an entitlement, unless someone has first met an obligation.”

People are eager to have their entitlements; pubs, gyms, shopping etc but aren't so willing with their obligations; masks, distancing, and when the time comes, vaccinations.

This matches my views on the main reason we're struggling to deal with covid.

As soon as Cummings wasn't fired for his trip to Durham this government last all sense of moral authority.

Add in confusing U-turns and policies that don't make sense (closing time at 10pm is one example).

This matches my views on the main reason we're struggling to deal with covid.

As soon as Cummings wasn't fired for his trip to Durham this government last all sense of moral authority.
Of course, who is going to look in the mirror if they can blame somebody else.
The Cummins thing is an excuse, not a reason !

Oh I agree with you, what he did was reprehensible, but what he did is not the reason the infection rates are climbing exponentially.

Oxford Vaccine Update
Single Shot = 70% protetion
Double Shot = 90% protection

Make mine a double please Dr Barman

Oddly the BBC have decided to go with the 70% as their headline, despite the fact the vaccine will be done, like Pfizer and Moderna, over 2 doses

Oxford Vaccine Update
Single Shot = 70% protetion
Double Shot = 90% protection

Make mine a double please Dr Barman

Oddly the BBC have decided to go with the 70% as their headline, despite the fact the vaccine will be done, like Pfizer and Moderna, over 2 doses
I'm sure the figures (particularly the 70% comapred to the previous 95/94%'s (which is actually still really high) will get the headlines and people might be disappointed on this but its my understanding this is great news!

This vaccine is one that's a lot easier/cheaper to distribute (therefore meaning it'll get distributed quicker hopefully). Its the one our government have purchased the most doses of.

I believe they also think this one stops people transmitting the virus as well rather than just stopping the symptoms (don't think the others have stated that, if that's true surely that's a game changer).

I read that out of the 115,000 (who got this jab) nobody was hospitalised (or died) so seems to suggest also even if its only 70-90% accurate in stopping you get the virus it may also reduce the severity for that 10-30%.

I'm certainly not usually pro vaccine (personally believe our decades and decades of messing with genetics has played a part in this whole mess). BUT lets face it at the stage we're at now this is likely the only way they're going to let us get out of this shit.

I'm sure the figures (particularly the 70% comapred to the previous 95/94%'s (which is actually still really high) will get the headlines and people might be disappointed on this but its my understanding this is great news!
BBC the only ones really using the 70% as the go to number.

It is great news as this is the vaccine our Government have put the most faith in with 100m doses on order. So from this vaccine alone 50m people are set to get it. With the other 2, I think the total we now have (approval pending) is enough to vaccinate 72.5m people

BBC the only ones really using the 70% as the go to number.

It is great news as this is the vaccine our Government have put the most faith in with 100m doses on order. So from this vaccine alone 50m people are set to get it. With the other 2, I think the total we now have (approval pending) is enough to vaccinate 72.5m people
Just need the rollout to be handled well........I won't hold my breath.

The 70% would still be more effective than the flu jab which doesn't get headlines for being ineffective.

Back