• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

If you listen to my boss all those that work from home are lazy bastards who can’t be trusted not to fuck around all day. Just hearing the words ‘working from home’ sets him off on a rant!

That's a man who is scared of losing control and has no trust in his own ability to have his staff achieve their targets.

He might need some help.

There's no doubt about it some people do take the piss wfh, too many bosses see this as a reason to kill remote working rather than addressing the individual. It's lazy management.

I'm very much a tech numpty but isn't it easier to keep a check on peoples output via the internet?

I'm very much a tech numpty but isn't it easier to keep a check on peoples output via the internet?
I guess it depends on what you are expecting of them. If I'm wanting to concentrate on something then I'll often turn Teams and emails off and logoff the network which would give the impression I'm not around

There's no doubt about it some people do take the piss wfh, too many bosses see this as a reason to kill remote working rather than addressing the individual. It's lazy management.
There's also no doubt that many people take the piss inside the office. It's just that people love to manage by presenteeism rather than on outputs (mostly because it's easier).

My guess is that companies like WeWork (ironically, considering how it was looking so shaky last year) will start springing up everywhere. Keep WFH as the default, then have central locations where you can hire space for temporary projects on an hourly, daily, weekly, whatever purpose. If I'm a council that's finally seeing the revival of my small local high street after years of decline, then encouraging co-working spaces in empty units seems like a no-brainer, for example. And if you're a small company starting up, you have a double bonus: Not only do you not have to necessarily shell out for expensive office space in or within commuting distance of a large city like London, but you also have the ability to hire anyone from anywhere in the world, without as much stress due to Brexit.

That said, I also expect the employee surveillance industry - which has been slowly establishing itself over the last decade - will explode in tandem. Microsoft Teams is already integrating all kinds of monitoring and tracking metrics for managers. Gonna be fun trying to figure out how to break it all and preserve privacy in your own home...

Microsoft Teams is already integrating all kinds of monitoring and tracking metrics for managers. Gonna be fun trying to figure out how to break it all and preserve privacy in your own home...
I think those reports can only measure Teams usage, so emails, pings, channels, video calls etc. I don't think it can accurately measure actual productivity outside of Teams.

I spent most of today working on Google slides, and jumped over to Teams whenever I received a ping or had a meeting, so probably less than 10% of my day was spent on Teams, that doesn't mean I was only 10% productive today

Thankfully our office is still very much open for business, though there's little pressure for people to actually attend so some days it like a ghost town.

If that were to change and WFH become the new default then I'd be looking for a new employer or even profession if I had to.

"u must take the vaccine if you want your freedoms bk what kind of democracy do we live in oyea i forgot its dictator Doris..thanks but i aint taking it its took 3 months tae make."

"had freedom fae day 1off it never had a flu jag in my life n certainly no startin now"

"So thry say vaccine not compulsory yet they will restrict people that don't have it
Does no one remember human rights and informed consent"

"I’m in the US, and I don’t know anyone that trusts this vaccine enough to take it."

"He can get stuffed if he thinks careers and nhs staff are trialling it"

"hey are only going to create a bigger crisis when they use a rushed vaccine on key workers. I think that's the intention."

"I feel sorry for every person thinking this vaccine is a good thing"

"If boris had to quarenteen because he came in contact with someone after he already had the virus then this vaccine is never gonna work if u cant get antibodies! Its ridiculous!"

"All this shit when the tests are a load of useless shite. Why take vaccine for a virus that doesn't effect 98% of the population. Its BULLSHIT"

I don't know whats more perturbing, the paranoia or the slaughter of the English language?

"u must take the vaccine if you want your freedoms bk what kind of democracy do we live in oyea i forgot its dictator Doris..thanks but i aint taking it its took 3 months tae make."

"had freedom fae day 1off it never had a flu jag in my life n certainly no startin now"

"So thry say vaccine not compulsory yet they will restrict people that don't have it
Does no one remember human rights and informed consent"

"I’m in the US, and I don’t know anyone that trusts this vaccine enough to take it."

"He can get stuffed if he thinks careers and nhs staff are trialling it"

"hey are only going to create a bigger crisis when they use a rushed vaccine on key workers. I think that's the intention."

"I feel sorry for every person thinking this vaccine is a good thing"

"If boris had to quarenteen because he came in contact with someone after he already had the virus then this vaccine is never gonna work if u cant get antibodies! Its ridiculous!"

"All this shit when the tests are a load of useless shite. Why take vaccine for a virus that doesn't effect 98% of the population. Its BULLSHIT"

I don't know whats more perturbing, the paranoia or the slaughter of the English language?
I wonder how many of those posts are bots or other nefarious doings

Edit. To expand slightly I think these kinds of posts are designed to divide people. If you disagree with what's being said then you look at the language used and go "fuckin idiots" no wonder they're so stupid and that's why they think that way. It's then really hard to not lump anyone who doesn't want a vaccine into that group.

If you agree with those statements, you also don't notice the language because it doesn't matter to you because you're probably a bit less capable of critical thinking or evaluating information sources

Last edited:
17/11

Since 1st September, 424 people have tested positive for COVID-19 (1437 in total)
-Of the total (1437), 329 patients have now sadly died (3 since the last update).
-Inpatient cases with a positive COVID diagnosis: 141
-New confirmed cases since the last update: 17
-Positive cases in critical care: 8
The most recent seven-day incident rate for Dudley is 533.3 per 100,000.

Yesterday

Since 1st September, 624 people have tested positive for COVID-19 (1,655 in total)
- Of the total (1,655), 376 patients have now sadly died (2 since the last update).
-Inpatient cases with a positive COVID diagnosis: 155
-New confirmed cases since the last update: 11
-Positive cases in critical care: 13, plus 9 on NIV/CPAC on C5
The most recent seven-day incident rate for Dudley is 315.9 per 100,000.

Today

Since 1st September, 631 people have tested positive for COVID-19 (1,662 in total)
- Of the total (1,662), 381 patients have now sadly died (5 since the last update).
-Inpatient cases with a positive COVID diagnosis: 145
-New confirmed cases since the last update: 7
-Positive cases in critical care: 11, plus 8 on NIV/CPAP on C5
The most recent seven-day incident rate for Dudley is 304.1 per 100,000.

Derby is down to 169 per 100,000 so I'm hopeful I'll be able to go out for a scotch egg session before xmas

If you listen to my boss all those that work from home are lazy bastards who can’t be trusted not to fuck around all day. Just hearing the words ‘working from home’ sets him off on a rant!

I'll never be WFH permanently and I think I prefer being in an office, but I am considerably more productive than I am in the office - mainly because there are zero distractions at home like customers phoning, customers coming to the Box Office window, that kind of thing. Some of my colleagues hate it and aren't as productive as others, but I think that boils down to personality types and working styles as opposed to them taking the piss.

So for example: I have a colleague that does basically an identical job to mine, but she is more of a "people person" than I am and prefers the human interaction and building a rapport, whereas I'm better at written communication and prefer e-mails/Teams messages. So WFH suits me down to the ground in that respect.

I'll never be WFH permanently and I think I prefer being in an office, but I am considerably more productive than I am in the office - mainly because there are zero distractions at home like customers phoning, customers coming to the Box Office window, that kind of thing. Some of my colleagues hate it and aren't as productive as others, but I think that boils down to personality types and working styles as opposed to them taking the piss.

So for example: I have a colleague that does basically an identical job to mine, but she is more of a "people person" than I am and prefers the human interaction and building a rapport, whereas I'm better at written communication and prefer e-mails/Teams messages. So WFH suits me down to the ground in that respect.
There not phoning as the system doesn't put anyone through - I've spent hours of my life in the last few months trying to actually speak to a human.

Got something I need to phone for now, but have been putting it off due to the hassle I will get trying to deal with it.

Even though my boss hates it, I’m all for WFH. I’d love to do it but it would be too difficult to do for my job.

Worked at home since the start of the pandemic - only been into the office twice, both times were voluntary. We've been told that there's no obligation whatsoever to go into the office for the time being and TBH I can't see that changing that much permanently because it's worked really well for our department. It's been good for me, I like being at home and I don't miss commuting at all!

WFH has been around for a while, just that Covid has accelerated it.

My elder son has done that for the last 4 yrs to the point that he can claim a mileage allowance if they need him to attend the office.

US now at 14 million cases, and yesterday recorded over three thousand deaths - 20% higher than the previous record (in April). But I feel totally safe.

Antibodies have been found in blood donations that suggest that the virus was circulating in the US in mid-December 2019. (Though they cannot prove it wasn't a different strain of covid.)

Jersey locking down after a big spike. Bit odd if their travel procedures were as strict as they seemed to be.

Back