• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Coronavirus

100% no minge being teased this time

Good news, only 800,000 doses initially (400,000 people?) but a start.
I find it alarming the number of people on our local fb group who are stating "no way are me or my family having it, its not been tested enough" I can see why people are a bit nervous, but surely the alternatives are horrendous, either lock ourselves away for years with the mental health end economic issues that would bring or just accept 100,000's covid related deaths.

It's been tested as much as any other new drug, just over a more intense period.

The new news for me is it isn't effective until 4 weeks after the second dose, so even for tbose who are first up that'll be mid Jan

It's been tested as much as any other new drug, just over a more intense period.

The new news for me is it isn't effective until 4 weeks after the second dose, so even for tbose who are first up that'll be mid Jan
thought they stated that right from the start?

From what I heard this morning, the first dose will trigger the immune system so there will be an element of immunity from the disease. The second dose then tops it up to its full effectiveness.

From what I heard this morning, the first dose will trigger the immune system so there will be an element of immunity from the disease. The second dose then tops it up to its full effectiveness.
This. No way will it be a binary "only starting working on the morning 4 weeks after"

It'll be a curve.

We'll absolutely still have to continue with masks, social distancing, avoiding indoor spaces, etc, until the second dose, and maybe even beyond depending on how much immunity reduces your chances of transmitting it.

These figures for efficacy, 94% or whatever, don't mean "94% of people take it and are immune", they mean "94% of people who we tested it on, during a period where they were following pandemic health guidelines, are now immune". Key thing now is making sure that people don't go straight back to the old normal as soon as they get the first shot, because there's every chance that efficacy rate could be much lower in less controlled circumstances.

I noticed that "by the spring" has been quietly changed to "over the spring and summer" in the new info about which demographics get it in which order. Having the finish line in sight is one thing, but I wonder how much patience a lot of people - and, above all, the government - will have when it comes to not jumping the gun too early and causing more unnecessary spikes.

I do have some slight reservations about the vaccine, granted it's been tested and approved but it's still a very short time span from inception to active use, who's to say there won't be long term negative effects that start to shown further down the line?

I mean exactly the same thing can be said of covid-19, whilst in a group that is seen as very low risk there's still some doubt out there that there aren't long term effects of having/overcoming the disease that we don't yet fully understand. I guess you're hedging your bets either way to some extent at the moment.

The whole population doesn’t need the Vaccine anyway. Same as everyone doesnt have the flu vaccine. By the time the majority of the over 70s have had it, the problem will probably have disappeared.

People will still get it, people will still get ill. But there won’t be the overburden on the hospitals so won’t be the problem like it is now.

We'll absolutely still have to continue with masks, social distancing, avoiding indoor spaces, etc, until the second dose, and maybe even beyond depending on how much immunity reduces your chances of transmitting it.

These figures for efficacy, 94% or whatever, don't mean "94% of people take it and are immune", they mean "94% of people who we tested it on, during a period where they were following pandemic health guidelines, are now immune". Key thing now is making sure that people don't go straight back to the old normal as soon as they get the first shot, because there's every chance that efficacy rate could be much lower in less controlled circumstances.

I noticed that "by the spring" has been quietly changed to "over the spring and summer" in the new info about which demographics get it in which order. Having the finish line in sight is one thing, but I wonder how much patience a lot of people - and, above all, the government - will have when it comes to not jumping the gun too early and causing more unnecessary spikes.
Yep, a vaccine doesn't mean we throw all the rules away.

Restrictions will still be driven by how well the NHS is coping with demand.

The vaccine should substantially reduce the load on the NHS.

I just hope people realise this doesn't mean life back to normal yet, it's the start of the journey

I do have some slight reservations about the vaccine, granted it's been tested and approved but it's still a very short time span from inception to active use, who's to say there won't be long term negative effects that start to shown further down the line?

I mean exactly the same thing can be said of covid-19, whilst in a group that is seen as very low risk there's still some doubt out there that there aren't long term effects of having/overcoming the disease that we don't yet fully understand. I guess you're hedging your bets either way to some extent at the moment.
Dunno if this helps

Agree with all of that.

I think it will be another 9-12 months before full 'normality' returns.
My work have emailed us this week to tell us that we are all entitled to a €250 allowance to upgrade our working from home environment, so it would appear that a return to the office is highly unlikely anytime soon.

Agree with all of that.

My work have emailed us this week to tell us that we are all entitled to a €250 allowance to upgrade our working from home environment, so it would appear that a return to the office is highly unlikely anytime soon.

I don't think the two things are related. I think more folks will work from home as productivity is better with a mix of home and office.

The fact the pandemic caused this has made people evaluate it, if you were a company why would you change it?

It's a greener solution for all as commuting is needed less and people are happier when they aren't sat on a road/ train for 2 hours everyday being miserable.

I don't think the two things are related. I think more folks will work from home as productivity is better with a mix of home and office.

The fact the pandemic caused this has made people evaluate it, if you were a company why would you change it?

It's a greener solution for all as commuting is needed less and people are happier when they aren't sat on a road/ train for 2 hours everyday being miserable.
It is making my College look seriously at its need for office space as Finance, admin and other functions have been very well performed electronically from home by the post holders since April. Why they need office space now is a very limited reason. Additionally sickness is lower than ever . Its a win win. Those who were completely opposed to working from home have had to eat some humble pie as it has been very successful in the main.

Aye thats what we are doing - fundamental permanent change to default home working. I feel like a right trailblazer.

Agree with all of that.

Wow very nice! We all got a bar of chocolate, that'll have to do :D

If you listen to my boss all those that work from home are lazy bastards who can’t be trusted not to fuck around all day. Just hearing the words ‘working from home’ sets him off on a rant!

Back