• Welcome, guest!

This is a forum devoted to discussion of Wolverhampton Wanderers.
    Why not sign up and contribute? Registered members get a fully ad-free experience!

Fans Against VAR - Join us

fansagainstvar

Reaction score
Hello guys,

Frankly I've been shocked at the decisions going against Wolves, I can't even imagine how frustrating it must be being a supporter.

I run a campaign hoping to put supporter pressure on the powers that be to totally scrap VAR. There are a few reasons for this:
1) VAR will always be subject to human error, just a different human not on the pitch.
2) VAR has made on-field refereeing weaker
3) VAR has killed the most precious moment of football, scoring a goal and the elation that gives fans and players.
4) VAR was brought in on the clear and obvious lie that it would only be used for clear and obvious errors.
5) VAR is being used for offsides, with no margin of error factored in even when due to frame rates we cannot be certain when ball was released
6) Football was the most popular sport before VAR
7) VAR may eventually be used to bring in "time outs"/ advertising breaks, against the spirit of football.

If you agree, feel free to follow and create a little more momentum for the campaign. https://twitter.com/FansAgainstVAR_

Good luck for the rest of the season, I hope many of you agree with the aims.

The refs need fixing, not the tech.

It's frustrating that VAR has compounded human error rather than alleviating it, but I'm still of the opinion that's down to operator error 9 times out of 10.

VAR will always be run by humans and therefore subject to human error. Do you not miss the elation of scoring?
Did it go somewhere?

I appreciate what you're trying to do, just think it's misplaced. The tin-foil-hat side of my brain would even suggest PGMOL would prefer VAR be done away with.
Having had to whatsapp people watching at home to have a clue what was happening on Saturday night I would disagree - VAR is fundamentally not fit for purpose for match going fans. Fuck it off
The experience being had by fans in stands needs fixing ASAP, no argument there.

Did it go somewhere?

I appreciate what you're trying to do, just think it's misplaced. The tin-foil-hat side of my brain would even suggest PGMOL would prefer VAR be done away with.

The experience being had by fans in stands needs fixing ASAP, no argument there.
Hey mate, couple of quick points.

I do not think PGMOL would rather it was done away with, it provides a comfortable retirement home and a gravy train for retired referees.

The experience for matchgoing fans can't be fixed because celebrating can never be instantaneous with VAR.

Hey mate, couple of quick points.

I do not think PGMOL would rather it was done away with, it provides a comfortable retirement home and a gravy train for retired referees.

The experience for matchgoing fans can't be fixed because celebrating can never be instantaneous with VAR.
I completely disagree with this.

I grew up with replay in all the major American leagues; I'm always going to be in favor of it. Not trying to have a go.

The refs need fixing, not the tech.

It's frustrating that VAR has compounded human error rather than alleviating it, but I'm still of the opinion that's down to operator error 9 times out of 10.
This argument never makes sense to me.
Yes in a theoretical sense, better user operation would improve it, but it's getting worse, not better. The arrogance of PGMOL and Webb will see it doesn't get any better. Everyone can see it's not working, but he refuses to acknowledge it and just throws out his subjective stats about how it gets 99% of decisions correct. You can't fix something which those in charge refuse to see is broken.

Without the technology we'd have still been on the end of 3 on the pitch shockers this season, but at least it would have felt like honest mistakes. With VAR the most generous explanation is incompetence.

This argument never makes sense to me.
Yes in a theoretical sense, better user operation would improve it, but it's getting worse, not better. The arrogance of PGMOL and Webb will see it doesn't get any better. Everyone can see it's not working, but he refuses to acknowledge it and just throws out his subjective stats about how it gets 99% of decisions correct. You can't fix something which those in charge refuse to see is broken.

Without the technology we'd have still been on the end of 3 on the pitch shockers this season, but at least it would have felt like honest mistakes. With VAR the most generous explanation is incompetence.
And that's the crux, isn't it? Disband the PGMOL to start.

Ain't gonna happen, but that's the way.

I completely disagree with this.

I grew up with replay in all the major American leagues; I'm always going to be in favor of it. Not trying to have a go.
It's drastically changed the experience in the ground Al. It's significantly impacted celebration for me, even when I get carried away I'll have a moment where VAR pops into my head and then I'll just stop celebrating.

Prime example Gomes's winner vs Southampton - I thought it hit his hand and the goal would be ruled out therefore my celebration was marred.

VAR hasn't been positive in the PL (and I had huge reservations about the speed/transparency prior to implementation)

Bin it off and let's go back to having crap refs without the additional video check that's also crap - at least then it was quick.

I dunno, never stops me going buck wild when CLT score. And if it's chalked off later it just adds to the emotional cauldron.

VAR is shit, but any form of campaign or petition against it is just a pointless and vaguely self important exercise.
So you admit VAR is shit, but we should just accept it?

As for self-important, laughable. No name is even attached to the campaign. It's this attitude of "it's shit but shut up and accept it" which means we have the highest ticket prices and most stupid kick off times.

The only way VAR adds to the game is if it gets the vast majority of the decisions correct.

It doesn't. The V bit is fine, it's the implementation and usage that's broken.

It's drastically changed the experience in the ground Al. It's significantly impacted celebration for me, even when I get carried away I'll have a moment where VAR pops into my head and then I'll just stop celebrating.

Prime example Gomes's winner vs Southampton - I thought it hit his hand and the goal would be ruled out therefore my celebration was marred.

VAR hasn't been positive in the PL (and I had huge reservations about the speed/transparency prior to implementation)

Bin it off and let's go back to having crap refs without the additional video check that's also crap - at least then it was quick.
Yep. Every single goal now, even when you don't think there is anything wrong with it, you're celebrating with an eye on the screen waiting for the dreaded purple rectangle to pop up as the self-important pricks 100 miles away have spotted a pedantic reason to disallow the goal. In the old days there would be a second's glance at lino, if his flag was down then all good.

Also there is no doubting that certain teams, for whatever reason, are being more adversely affected by shit decisions than others. How many bad VAR decisions have we had? How many dubious penalties given against us? How often do we get a pen? Rarely.

I hate it and I hate the pompous arseholes 'running' it and Webb can stick his fucking apologies where the sun don't shine

The tech isn’t the problem. The issue is squarely that the bloke checking the referee decisions needs to be independent from PGMOL. Leave that as it is and it will never add anything beyond delay and frustration.

Clear and obvious is the other main crime. That needs to be dropped on favour for “on the balance of probabilities is the decision correct”

Curious to me that the pen Saturday seems to have been the straw that broke the camel's back here, a case in which VAR was not used.

Curious to me that the pen Saturday seems to have been the straw that broke the camel's back here, a case in which VAR was not used.
The Hwang one? It was used but they stated there was no clear and obvious error and didn't send Taylor to the screen to review

The tech isn’t the problem. The issue is squarely that the bloke checking the referee decisions needs to be independent from PGMOL. Leave that as it is and it will never add anything beyond delay and frustration.

Clear and obvious is the other main crime. That needs to be dropped on favour for “on the balance of probabilities is the decision correct”
This, doing away with it would be horrendous.

The referees are horrific as it is, people would be incandescent if they were left with complete control and made some of the terrible decisions.

It needs to be independent and taken off PGMOL as a whole. When the operator is better than the ref we know where the issue is.

Back